Cleaning Nicotine Stains from Vinyl Wallpaper

Category Walls
Nicotine in cigarettes mixes with oxygen and creates a yellow stain that can accumulate on your walls. This is a page about cleaning nicotine stains from vinyl wallpaper.

How do I get nicotine stains out of vinyl wallpaper? The previous owners were heavy smokers. The wallpaper is all yellow. I have tried Greased Lightning, Handy Andy, Janola, and all sorts of cleaning products and home made ones like sodium bicarbonate, etc. None have worked thus far.

By kery from New Zealand

Answers

Try a solution of ammonia and water. About 1/2 cup ammonia to a gallon of warm water. I used to smoke myself, so I know that it might not take off all the stains, but it should get most of them.

I have recently purchased a new home and it has vinyl wallpaper with nicotine stains. You can see where the previous owners' pictures were hanging.

Is there anyway I can remove these stains? I have tried almost every product in grocery/walmart store.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ann

Answers:

Removing Nicotine Stains

I have a housecleaning business and I recently used the new Mr. Clean Magic Stain erasers on white cabinet doors in a smoker's home. It is slow elbow grease type of work, but I got all the way down to the original surface.

Another thing to try is vinegar mixed with half amonia and about 2 tbs dish soap.

I also recently used automatic dishwashing detergent, the new Cascade Complete, mixed with bleach and the paste picked up 10 years of greasy dirt on the tops of kitchen cabinets. (03/16/2004)

By Jenny

Removing Nicotine Stains

I had to do this once in a trailer house we moved in to. The previous owners had lived there well over 30 years and the husband and wife were chain smokers. We used straight ammonia. We used an old mop and eye gear to do the ceilings. Be sure you leave windows open as the smell can be intoxicating. (05/07/2004)

By Tawnda

I have vinyl wallpaper in the kitchen. What can I use to get the nicotine stains off it?

Shelley from Kenly, NC

Answers:

Removing Nicotine Stains from Vinyl Wallpaper

I used Dow Bathroom cleaner to remove nicotine off of my Formica cabinets and vinyl wallpaper. I love the stuff. Spray lightly wait a minute or two, watching that it doesn't drip too much and sponge it off, but rinse the sponge frequently. The Dow does the elbow work for you. (07/04/2008)

By Grandma

Home and Garden Cleaning WallsMay 10, 2016
🎃