Cleaning Yellowed Refrigerator Handles

Category Kitchen
Your refrigerator handle can get yellowed from a combination of age and use. This is a guide about cleaning yellowed refrigerator handles.

I have a GE refrigerator and the handles are turning orange. They said to use a cleaner called Hot Melt which cannot be found anywhere. Can you give me the name of a cleaner to clean them?

Jo Ann

Answers

I use vinegar in my kitchen to clean everything. It cuts the grease & etc. Good luck.

Hi, I found a silly solution on another web-site, I was so frustrated with my handles , I just tried it. It worked.

Spray shaving cream on the handles and let it sit for 10 min. I actually let it sit for about 20 minutes and then scrubbed it with a small nail brush. It's actually worked. Not sure if it was the shaving cream or the scrubbing with the brush - but who cares - it worked.

My door handles are quite dirty, yellowing, some stains, etc. I tried using shaving cream and a toothbrush to clean (let the shaving cream sit for 1 hour before cleaning), and nothing! Still yellow and still stained. Shaving cream might clean off light dirt and soil, but so will anything! No, shaving cream is NOT the solution, no magic there. Read on another site the best solution for the common yellowing due to sun exposure is to paint with a paint made for plastics, like Krylon Fusion (sold at Walmart for $6). This is a sure fire won't fail method to get it white. Not sure how durable the paint is, but probably better than door handles that seem to yellow after just 5 years!

Jo Ann. Please take a closer look at your GE fridge handles. Mine also was beginning to look orange. Upon closer inspection, it was found that the coating has worn away. No cleaner will help that I'm afraid.

This may seem as an odd thing to use, but I have found PCV (plastic pipe) cleaner removes yellowing from plastic materials. It is used by plumbers to clean (there are 2 types of cleaner, one removes stains, the other softens the plastic before gluing together) you may use either depending upon your need, ask hardware which is best for you. For rubber use Westley's Blech White (it is an automotive product made to clean whitewall tires and white lettering... by both cleaning and then bleaching... I personally used to on a white vinyl top years ago that had black in it, nothing else touched it, after cleaning I rinsed for a very long time to remove bleach which would damage anything left on too long; then soaked top with [I don't remember which anymore but was either Armor-All or Son of a Gun].

My double door fridge is white. The handles have turned yellow. I have tried lots of things to get them clean, my latest being oven cleaner, but to no avail. They never come clean. Any suggestions?

By HAPPYINHARNED

Answers

Try making a paste with baking sida & white vinegar. Apply & scrub with a net ball or old toothbrush.

I used a Magic Eraser on mine. White again.

Anonymous

I, too, use Magic Eraser. It gets all the grubbiness and discoloration.