Cleaning a Wood Deck

Can you use Dawn to wash off your deck? My deck smells like cats. Is it safe to use outdoors? Will it harm plants?

By Anarene from Topeka, KS

Answers:

Cleaning a Wood Deck

Dawn is just dish soap with some ammonia in it. That is why is does a better job of cleaning than other dish soaps. It is safe to use outdoors and shouldn't harm plants if you are using it in water, which I assume you are doing. I am not sure if it will get rid of cat urine smell if it is soaked into wood.

I use Mr. Clean citrus to wash off any areas on my house which might have been sprayed by stay tom cats. I sometimes use it full strength as the smell of it discourages the cats. My house is stucco and brick, so absorption is not a problem. (04/23/2010)

By louel53

This post really helped. I used Dawn, a swiffer sweeper with a new pad - one of those with the grooves, and it really cleaned it well. So much so, that I may not even resand it. Just stain it.
Anyway, thanks.