Computer Won't Start in Cold Weather

Computers generally like cold, dry environments, so determining the reason your computer won't boot during cold weather can be a challenge. This is a guide about when a computer won't start in cold weather.

I would like to know, if the outside temperature has anything to do, with if my computer comes on or not? When it is less then 50 degrees my computer will not come on.

By Irma

Answers

Best Answer

Computers actually thrive in cool dry environments. Heat is a computers worse enemy. And moisture to that and it has a chance of shorting out. Humidity builds inside on the circuits (they sweat) and that is when the damage happens.

As for why your PC isn't running when it is cold is a mystery to me. I have worked on PCs for over 20 years and this is the first time i have heard of this kind of problem.

Does the fan on the back of the PC start up when you hit the power?
If it does do you hear the hard drive spin as well?
If both of these things happen does the monitor have power? Have you tried the monitor on a different computer to make sure the monitor isn't the problem? If it is an older monitor the cold could affect it.

If you like you can send me a message thru Thrifty and I'll help you out with it if I can.

It's probably because of the moister in the phone box outside the house. Open it and put a dry rag in the box. Close it back to keep it dry.

I had this problem with a laptop computer that was still under warranty. I sent it back to the factory and they installed a new bios. I have since learned that you can install a new bios yourself, just do an internet search. I am not sure how much info you will lose, so be sure to back up your computer first.