Lawn Tractor Won't Start

Category Tractors
When a lawn tractor won't start, it most likely is a problem with spark, gas, or air intake. This page is about lawn tractor won't start.

I have changed the battery, starter, and fuel and I still can't get it to even click. Any suggestions? I am disabled and I need any help I can receive. Thanks!

Answers

Did you check the spark plugs? Also, is it in the right gear with the brake on? Mine won't start if its not in neutral with the brake set.

also make sure your mower is disengaged...

Anonymous

I had one one time that one of the safety switches had come disconnected under the seat

My 1998 MTD 20hp special edition will not start. It winds over and it has fire and gas. What can be the problem?

Answers

Have you checked compression??

I have a stx 38 John Deere that turns over and has gas and fire but won't start up, how can I get it to crank???

I have an old Dynamark lawn mower that I decided to fix up this summer and I am stuck. It didn't start and only clicked once when I turned the key, so it didn't turn over. I replaced the battery, put in gas and oil (drained both before adding new) and it started right up. After idling for a while, I put it into gear and drove for about 10 feet and it died. It didn't really slowly die it was a quick cut off. A small amount of smoke came out near the air filter and in the oil container.

I haven't got it to start since then. I took off the engine cover and found dirt/leaves on the engine and figured that's where the air filter smoke came from. I don't know why there was smoke in the oil container when I took out the dipstick. I replaced the spark plug and still no luck. What should I do? Also, I found a very small amount of oil in the bottom of the air filter holder after it died.

Answers

It sounds like you have a problem with the oil seal in the mower. You should check this for an oil leak and replace the seal in the mower.

I have a Toro 15.5 HP riding lawn mower that will not start. I charged the battery until it was fully charged. It will turn over slowly, 2 or 3 times, but then it just clicks like there isn't enough power to turn it over anymore.

The battery was new in March 2009, and the spark plug was new last fall. Can anyone tell me what is wrong? Do I just need to get a new battery? Any help would be appreciated.

Answers

Have you checked your solenoids? Also check the ground wire to the chassis. Make sure it is not burned and doesn't have an issue.

It has a good battery, new solenoid, and starter switch. It will crank when I jump the solenoid, but there is no current to gauges and spark plug.

By Stephen

Answers

This is a cable problem on the mower. One of the wires from the carb or the starter that goes to the wiring harness or chassis on the side of the mower is defective.

You will need to test these with a volt meter to determine which one is bad. Then change out this cable. Also check the spark plug and make sure it isn't bad or just change it out.

My lawn tractor won't start without jump starting.

By Tim

Answers

Yard machine riding mower will not start.

Every time I turn the key to start my lawn tractor the inline ignition fuse pops instantly. Is it a relay or a bad ground? It is a 16.0 hp Sears lawntractor from 1992.

By Kim

It will not start. There is no power going to the display board, the lights or the lift for the cutting house. It has a new battery.

By Jason Daniels

Can the ENM hour meter box have anything to do with the tractor not starting? It makes a random clicking sound, but does not turn dials.

By Jason

Why does the engine turn over, but won't start?

By Kenneth B

The tractor was handed down to me from my wife's grandfather about 3 years ago. When I first got it it wouldn't start without a jump, but after I drove it a few times it would start on its own, usually for the rest of the summer. This year was the same until yesterday when it wouldn't start at all.

I figured the battery had finally had enough so I pulled it out to get a new one and found a mouse nest behind the battery around all the wires. I removed the nest expecting to find chewed wires, but did not. I put the battery back in and the tractor jump started right up, ran for about 20 minutes, shut off and would not restart, jumped or otherwise. So I replaced the battery today and still nothing and I mean nothing not even a click.

By Jim W.