Riding Mower Won't Restart After Hitting Something

Category Lawn Mowers
The impact of hitting or running over something with your riding mower may cause damage to the flywheel key, keeping you from restarting the mower. This part can be purchased and replaced to get your mower back up and running. This is a page about what to do when your riding mower won't restart after hitting something.

I have a Murry Select 17.5 HP 42 inch cut mower. I hit a stump and the mower stopped right away, my husband changed the blades yesterday, charged the battery last night and went to start it today and nothing. It doesn't even try to start.
The kill switch from what we understand had been disconnected by the person we got it from, but if you touch the two wires together it causes a short that will turn the mower off. Please help.

By Bonnie

Answers

Best Answer

There a rectangular shaped piece of metal down where the blades attach that has been sheared off more than likely. Don't remember what they are called but the ex was always shearing them off. They are a safety measure. You can replace them yourselves if you can locate them.

Best Answer

That piece of metal is called a keyway and you can get them at your local hardware store. It is best to bring the old one with you because they come in all different sizes.

I hit an object with my riding mower and now it will not restart. Is there a blade safety switch somewhere that I can get to so I can restart the tractor. Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

You might have damaged the flywheel key or the push-rod or the crankshaft.

I ran over some barbed wire with my John Deere D170 while mowing. The motor stopped. I unwrapped the wire from the far right spool.

Now, it won't start and won't turn over when the key is cranked. Any ideas?

Answers

You bent or broke something. You will need to get it serviced.

Did you try to check the reset switch under the seat to try and start it again? Normally if you run over something the motor shuts off to protect the machine. Check to see where your reset switch is and press this. If this does not help you'll need to take it in for service.

If you are super handy, you may be able to find a you tube video to do some troubleshooting. You could try that first and then call their customer services center to see if they have any suggestions: 1-800-356-9033.

Post back with an update!

I hit a rock with my Husqvarna riding lawn mower. Now it won't start.

Answers

You broke or bent a piece. Now the mower cannot engage. You will need to take it in for servicing.

Yikes! I hope you were able to resolve it!

If not, have you checked out YouTube. There are lots of videos to make repairs to the Husqvarna machines. Here is a list:

www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Husqvarna+Mower...

Post back with an update and I hope it is an easy fix. Repairs on those puppies can be expensive :(

Make sure there isn't something else caught underneath,to add more problems.

I have a John Deere 100 series riding mower. I hit a limb and the mower cut off. I disengaged it and now it's leaking gas from somewhere under the air filter and it starts at first then stalls out.

Answers

This is a repair that will take a lengthy inspection. If you are not sure what you are doing, take it to be serviced. Gas is highly flammable.

Sounds like you have undoubtedly punched a hole in something that flows from the gas tank as I'm sure you realize.

Stalling may be caused by an uneven flow of gas causing it to flood.
I would suggest you not try to start your mower until you find out where the gas leak is located and get it repaired as a spark at this time may cause a fire.

You could start with removing the air filter to see if you can spot the leak but it may just be flowing from somewhere else to the air filter. Be sure that any rags used are disposed of properly as they can remain flammable for a long time.

You may have to have it serviced at a repair shop just to be sure it is repaired properly as a limb can cause a lot of damage as I feel sure you have found out. Gasoline is just too dangerous to work with and repairs like this may not be easy to find.

It would be nice if you have a "mechanic" friend that could help you find the problem as sometimes it takes a second person to help check things like this.

The blade of my tractor get struck with something and then it shut down. Now I tried to start it and it is just clicking and nothing happens.

Is it possible about the flywheel key? Or I blew up something else? Any ideas?

Answers

You bent a piece and it is interfering with the starting. You or someone else has to take it apart and see what is bent or broken.

I hit a stump with my Murray Performance 21 hp 46 inch cut riding lawn mower. Now the tractor starts, but when I lower the deck to cut it shuts off. Any ideas as to what may have happened?

Answers

You must have bent something and now the deck wont lower. You will need to have it repaired.

Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersAugust 30, 2018
🎂
📓
🌻