Riding Mower Won't Restart After Hitting Something

Category Lawn Mowers
The impact of hitting or running over something with your riding mower may cause damage to the flywheel key, keeping you from restarting the mower. This part can be purchased and replaced to get your mower back up and running. This is a guide about what to do when your riding mower won't restart after hitting something.

I have a Murry Select 17.5 HP 42 inch cut mower. I hit a stump and the mower stopped right away, my husband changed the blades yesterday, charged the battery last night and went to start it today and nothing. It doesn't even try to start.
The kill switch from what we understand had been disconnected by the person we got it from, but if you touch the two wires together it causes a short that will turn the mower off. Please help.

By Bonnie

Answers

Best Answer

There a rectangular shaped piece of metal down where the blades attach that has been sheared off more than likely. Don't remember what they are called but the ex was always shearing them off. They are a safety measure. You can replace them yourselves if you can locate them.

Best Answer

That piece of metal is called a keyway and you can get them at your local hardware store. It is best to bring the old one with you because they come in all different sizes.

I hit an object with my riding mower and now it will not restart. Is there a blade safety switch somewhere that I can get to so I can restart the tractor. Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

You might have damaged the flywheel key or the push-rod or the crankshaft.