Troubleshooting a Riding Lawn Mower That Won't Start

Category Lawn Mowers
Mowing the grass is one of the rites of summer, but now your mower won't start. There are many things that can cause a riding mower to refuse to fire up. This is a guide about troubleshooting a riding lawn mower that won't start.

If your riding mower will not start (most of these tips are applicable to push mowers also):

1. Make sure you have fresh fuel; dirty or old fuel will not burn. Consider an octane boosting additive.
  2. Ad

3. Make sure the oil level is correct; too much or too little oil will prevent the mower from starting.
  4. Most riding mowers start only when in neutral and when the blades are not engaged; make sure the trans is in neutral and the blades are not engaged. Engage the brake and/or clutch.
  5. Ensure it's getting fuel to the carburetor by pulling the line at the closest inlet near the carburetor, then cranking; it should spurt fuel. Make sure if you put new fuel in the tank, that you purge the old fuel from the lines by this method.
  6. If you are getting fuel, the carburetor may be dirty from fuel setting in the bowl for a long time; take the carburetor apart by removing the brass bolt from the bottom of the bowl, and cleaning the bottom parts with carburetor cleaner.
  7. Make sure the seat switch engages when you sit squarely in the seat.
  8. Wear safety glasses when you use pressurized air to clean dirt off of the entire engine; leaves, dirt, and other foreign particles may prevent the engine from breathing. Keep the top of the flywheel and the fins on the flywheel clean.
  9. If the magneto(s) or the flywheel are rusty, you won't get spark; use emery cloth to sand the rust off of the flywheel and the magneto(s). You have to remove the magneto to clean the rust off. Get all the rust off; the flywheel needs to shine where it makes contact with the magneto(s).
  10. Dead batteries are usually bad batteries. If the battery is dead, and does not charge, you probably have a bad alternator, or a bad battery.
  11. Make sure you 'choke' the carburetor the first time you crank it. After some cranking, you may need to adjust the choke. Make sure the throttle is adjusted to the 'Start' position.
  12. The air filter must be clean: If your carburetor is starving for air, the mower will not start. Clean the filter with soapy water and a soft brush. Hold the filter to a light, or the sun; you should be able to see light through the filter. Try starting without the filter, but do not operate the mower without the filter.
  13. Grass build-up in the mower deck may prevent the mower from starting. Make sure to pull the spark plug when you tip the mower to bust the clogged grass away from the deck. Be aware that tipping the mower can cause oil to leak from the engine block into the cylinder, which will result in smoke from the muffler due to oil burning; it should just last a minute or less.

Hitting objects such as gravel or stumps when mowing can damage the crank shaft and other parts of your riding mower. A careful inspection will be needed to determine which parts are affected. This is a guide about when a riding mower won't start after hitting gravel.

A riding mower cutting grass.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about why Bolens mower won't start. Determining the reason why your mower is not starting can be a challenge.

A riding lawnmower in the grass.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about Husqvarna riding mower won't start. Determining whether it is a problem with fuel, spark or air when your mower won't start, can be a challenge.

A riding lawnmower, from the view of the seat.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

You can almost hear the grass growing as you sit there trying to start up your uncooperative riding mower. This is a guide about John Deere riding mower won't start.

Riding mower on trailer.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

My mower just clicks when you turn the switch on. It has a new battery and belts. It only stated for a few seconds and died. Now all it does is click when you try to crank it.

By Preston

Answers

Best Answer

The fact that it just "clicks" when you try to turn it over may mean that the engine has seized up. Lack of oil mixed in the gas could lead to this. Also, you may want to try to replace the carburetor. Plenty of "How-to" sites on Utube and choose a reputable online business for mower parts and they should allow you to return carburetor if that is not the problem.

My brother has an old riding mower (90s I think) that won't start. He put in fresh gas, a new battery, and fresh oil, but the engine won't start. He says it's just making a click, the motor shakes, but nothing happens. He is tight on money and can't afford major repairs or parts. Any suggestions on what's wrong with it and how to fix it?

Answers

The switch is under the seat. Disconnect it and reconnect it.

How about the spark plugs?

Anonymous

new spark plugs? Does the carb have old fuel in it?

Clean out the carburetor and it should do the trick

I was cutting the grass. I got off my Snapper rider to pick up trash. The mower died and won't start back up. It is like a dead battery, but the battery is good. Could it be the solenoid?

I have a Scott's riding mower with a 17Hp Briggs and Stratton motor. It won't turn over after mowing the grass last week. It needed a new battery and air filter. There is gas or oil in the air filter and it back fires out of the air filter, with fames an all. Any help? I changed the plugs and oil before storing it this winter.

My mower won't fire even though I put a new plug in.

I have a Castle Garden rideon mower. I only had it running a couple of months ago (cut the garden), it was sitting up in the garage since then, now it won't start. The lights come on, everything seems OK, but it just won't start. The orange light beside the red button to get the blades cutting came on. Any help or ideas please.

Answers

Check the battery. Probaly low on juice.Use a trickle charger for a day.

I was mowing and the mower shut off. It still had plenty of gas. I changed the fuses, but all the engine did was click. The battery is fully charged. I crossed the posts on the solenoid with pliers, the engine cranked, but when I turn with the key there is only clicking. Is it maybe the ignition module?

Answers

It could be one of the safety switches in either the brake or the seat.

we had this problem and it was the fuel injector for us

Check the oil and make sure it doeset have gas mixed in oil also pull spark plug to make sure cylinder isn't full of gasoline causing it to stop piston from moving

I have a Toro Wheel Horse riding mower. I started it and pulled the choke up all the way really fast and now it will not start at all. I have replaced the battery but when I tried to start it, it just smoked. Then I thought it was flooded so I took the spark plug out and put it back in and then it just did not make any noise. Now I am trying to find out what is wrong with it.

By Kyle from Williamstown, PA

Answers

You flooded the mower. Leave it set awhile open the throttle wide open; don't continue to choke. This will open the butterfly valve to let more air in and clear it.

Don't pull the choke out all the way or the same thing will happen again from flooded motor. Good Luck!

If it smoked when you turned the key on and now nothing at all you'll probably find a blown 12 system fuse hid somewhere where you cant see it. if it is a blown fuse you have a direct short on the 12 volt line somewhere. When you find your short your mower will probably be fine then. Hope I could help if you need help finding the short list what model mower it is and ill try to find schematics for it on line and maybe make a couple suggestions.

I have a older Yard Machine riding lawn mower that has been sitting for a couple years. First of all I can't seem to get it into neutral to push it, second of all when I do try to start it it's tries to turn over, but it is with the deck engaged and I can't get the deck to turn off to get it started. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I have changed the battery, starter, and fuel and I still can't get it to even click. Any suggestions? I am disabled and I need any help I can receive. Thanks!

My lawnmower will not start. It doesn't make a sound. I have charged the battery and it reads over 12. I have done the ignition switch and spark plugs. I have replaced the solenoid and tried different wiring ways with it. I don't have any voltage drops to the starter. A couple wires were cut and I spliced them back together. Please help!

A couple of weeks ago while I was mowing the lawn with my 12.5 hp Yarkworks lawn tractor for some reason the machine started revving really fast. I turned off the ignition as quickly as I could. I then went to restart my tractor. However the machine would not turn over until it cooled down. The symptoms haven't changed. I can mow the grass for hours as long as I don't turn the machine off. Then I must wait until it cools down again. Someone told me I may have a warped head since the machine revved like it did. Help.

My 1998 MTD 20hp special edition will not start. It winds over and it has fire and gas. What can be the problem?

Answers

Have you checked compression??

I changed the oil filter, added new oil, new carburator, new spark plug, new fuel filter, new battery, new air filter, and new gas, but it still will not start. The flywheel is turning over, the muffler puffs occasionally when I choke, but nothing happens. I am stumped. I poured a teaspoon of gas in the spark plug area to see if there was fuel constraint which resulted in a few coughs through the muffler. What do I do next? any suggestions? Thank you!

Answers

could be that the switch under the seat is bad. it feels when you get out of the seat and shuts off the mower. you can bypass it with a short peace of wire

could be the switch under the seat is bad. it can tell if you get off the mower and shuts off the engine.you can bypass with a short piece of wire

I have spark, I can smell the fuel, it appears to have compression, but still won't start. There is a new battery, it turns over with good power, but won't start. What else should I check?

Answers

Check the oil

I have a MTD rider, 42 inch. It won't restart when hot. I replaced the ignition switch, solenoid, and coil. At first it starts right up. If I finish cutting the lawn and shut it off, then it won't restart. I need to wait until it cools down; then it starts.

By ED T.

Answers

This may help 50% of lawn mower starting issues! Try adding a gasoline additive to boost octane and clean fuel lines. There is a product made especially for small engines that cleans the gunk formed quickly in lines and moving parts from current low emission fuels. Where did we think the stuff goes that doesn't burn and doesn't go into the air? - It stays in our mower's engine causing moving parts and plastic fuel lines to bond together!

After forgetting to empty the mower engine over winter, I found nothing worked to get it started. My local small engine guru suggested adding a fuel stabilizer, octane booster and fuel line cleaner made for small engines to fresh gasoline (read directions). Try to turn over a few times to get fuel moving into lines, leave sitting for a few hours then try again to start. It smoked and coughed the first few times, but gradually improved greatly, now starting much easier. And re-starting easily after being turned off! I will remember to winterize this year.

Another tip: keep the housing around the mower blades cleaned of dried on grass.
Also, if you are cutting grass with deck significantly lowered, try to start mower in an area with very little grass. Blades that rotate when you are pulling a starter rope are hindered from turning by contact with heavy, thick grass, preventing easy starting.

I had this problem with a 18.5 hp Poulan Pro for years and it was very annoying in that: We are in the southeast and we want our grass cut before the heat comes. We had a professional law repairman to replace all of the things you named and the Poulan started running real good for 20 minutes and then we had better have a pushmower or swingblade around. I read someone's post and the post said the carburetor components were causing this problem. I went to Ebay and bidded on a new briggs and stratton carburetor for $57.00, and now that cut off problem is gone.

I have a riding mower with a Kohler engine. My starter is good, there is a new coil. It's getting gas through both lines on the pump, but won't run unless we keep spraying gas in the carburetor. Any idea why the gas is not getting into the carburetor?

By Richard

Answers

Have you checked the lines coming from the carb? hey could be blocked, kinked, or small hole.

My husband says sounds like the needle seat is stuck shut.

I have a Columbia riding mover with a 12hp with I/C (industrial/commercial) engine; there is no spark. Do you have any ideas what the problem could be?

By HC

Answers

Try replacing the spark plug before doing anything else, is there gas in it?

Take the spark plug wire, pull it out of the sleeve, and press it to the frame. Turn the ignition. If it sparks, you have spark, your plug is bad. If not, your magnet isn't making contact.

I am trying to fix my MTD/Powercraft riding mower. It has an 18 HP I/C B+S motor, twin cylinder. 42a707 series. It has a hydrostatic transmission. The starter will not turn the motor to start it. I have put on a brand new starter and it still will not turn the motor. Even when I jump past all of the switches and solenoids and jumper straight from the pos (+) battery terminal to the starter, the starter still will not turn the engine.

The battery is fully charged and tested so I have ruled that out. My question is could it be that the transmission belts/blade belts are too tight? Should the transmission belts be disengaged when trying to start somehow? Right now the belts are very tight all the time and the engine is VERY hard to turn, even by hand. I know it is not a compression problem, I have taken the spark plugs out and the problem persists.

It is not an OHV engine so I am not inclined to believe that it is a valve problem. Should the clutch be disengaging the transmission belt? What exactly does the clutch do on these machines? This may be a very vague question, but I have been fooling with this tractor for a week now and I am at my wits end. If more info is needed, or questions arise please let me know. Help me if you can! Thanks.

By drumn4state from Peoria, IL

Answers

Fixed it. Please disregard this message. Apparently one of the safety switches was malfunctioning. I rewired the mower to bypass all of the safety switches and it cranked perfectly.

Well on my riding mower it has safety devices. One of which is the mower will not turn over unless I am sitting in the seat. If the mower is running and I leave the seat the mower will shut down. It is possible to over ride the safety device. If my battery is low I hook up my charger to the battery but I have to be in the seat for the mower to turn over. Once it starts I kick off the cables with my foot or have someone unhook the charger. I also use alligator clips instead of nuts and bolts to hook up the battery to the mower. makes it easier to disconnect the battery.

I just put in a new battery and plug. The fuel is good it. It will start on pull cord, but won't pick up with the key turns over ok.

My X300 riding mower will not start. The battery does not hold a charge and I must recharge it to have it start the engine. Is this a battery issue or is there an alternator?

I have a riding lawn mower that acts like it wants to start, but doesn't. It has a new carb, new spark plug, new battery, new starter, and a new starter solenoid. What's wrong with it?

I have a Yard Machine mower. Everything was new and it started every time. Then I had to fix a flat and my kid left the key in the on position for two days. Now nothing. What could have burned out ? I charged the battery (it was a week old), but still nothing.

I replaced the battery and solenoid and the mower still won't start. It clicks like a car would if the starter was bad.

Answers

Anonymous

You answered your own question!

I was reading a post that said;
"On the top of the engine is the air intake screen. With your hands move the screen in reverse or counter clockwise until you have resistance to the turning. Stop and try starting the mower. It worked for me. So every time I want to start the machine I have to counter turn the air screen untill I feel the resistance. "

I tried this and it sorta worked, but it only turns the engine over partially and it locks up again or stops trying to start.
Why?

It just keeps turning over and if you put fuel down the carb there are a couple of pops, but it still won't start up. It just keeps cranking over. I changed the spark plug and there is fire. The carb is clean.

Answers

I would check the gas line filter and it wouldn't hurt to also clean the air filter.

My mower has always drained the battery dead. I've replaced several times. Now I just put the charger on it prior to mowing. My problem is now, as soon as I connect the battery charger, the starter starts turning. I don't even have the key on. What is the problem here?

By Mark A. from St. Johns, MI

Answers

Your solenoid is stuck open. Bang it with a hammer or wrench or replace it. Easy fix but kind of hard to get too but look for a inspection cover and remove it to gain access to it. Best of luck.
Rob

It was working fine. I transferred it from my daughter's house in Louisiana to Texas, knowing battery needed to be replaced. I tried to crank it when reaching Texas and it would not start. I purchased a new battery (good) and it still would not crank. It will not even turn over. Where would a shortage be from battery to starter? Please help, grandmother in Texas certainly needs a little help.

By Bert

Answers

Battery to the starter would probably be the solenoid check out this video on how to test it
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsvJMnpQBas

If it's fine you might have a faulty safety switch.

I have a Toro wheel horse 8-25. I cut the grass and it was fine. I went to cut the grass again and it would not start. It has fuel and cranks great. Any ideas? Thanks.

By Joe W.

Answers

The problem could very well be the carb is plugged. You need to remove the carb, take the bowl off the bottom, and completely clean it with carb cleaner

My lawn tractor won't start without jump starting.

By Tim

Answers

Yard machine riding mower will not start.

My Yard Machine riding mower won't start. I changed the coil 3 times, each time it was changed it runs a bit longer, eventually quits, cranks, but will not fire. I have talked to a couple mechanics and they have no idea!

By DL from Saskatchewan

Answers

Hello there, I'm sorry to say I don't have a cure for you but I'm in the same boat. Originally when I first started to figure out why it didn't start it was a funny thing. I put an inline spark tester and crank it over and it seemed to have spark but when I just tried a new plug and laid it close to block or head and it had little to no spark.

So I took and replaced the coil which is also know as a ignition module or a magneto and after looking on u-tube for gap etc. It fired right up so I figured I fixed the problem.

Well the next week I decided to replace the drive belt and after completing that (which was no fun), I tried to start and after checking all the possibilities of something I possibly might have do it ended up to have the same symptoms and it points to the coil being bad again. So I'm going to write information down on paper this time so I know what readings I'm getting before, after with both the bad one and the new one.

In all my years of being an auto mechanic I worked on many small engines that have your basic coil/magneto that sits on side of most all of them and they all serve the same purpose. to create spark from magnetic rector wheels that when the flywheel turns around it meets the magneto and sparks the plug. It's fairly basic and generally easy to diagnose but like you it sounds like we have the same issue.

Right now I don't have an answer but I will find out and I'll let you know what I came up with. it's probably something to do with a power or ground issue. 7 out of ten times that ends up being the cause. Take care.

Load More