Mower With a Briggs & Stratton Engine Won't Start

Category Lawn Mowers
This is a guide about diagnosing a mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine that won't start. Before you take your mower to a repair shop, here are some possibilities to look into. Diagnosing the issue yourself can save you time and money, so its worth a try.

I have a Briggs and Station 14.5 42in and it won't start. It acted like it wanted to start, then just stop making any noise. I charged the battery and it has 1/4 tank of gas. Still nothing. Any ideas?

Answers

Best Answer

I do light tech for lawn and garden equipment, so I may be of some help. Not knowing whether you have a push mower or a riding mower, I am giving you the trouble shooting for a push mower that will not start.

Unit will not start

Possible Causes -- Corrective Actions

1 Control handle is not engaged -- Engage control handle

2 Spark plug wire is disconnected -- Connect spark plug wire

3 Fuel tank empty or stale fuel -- Replace with clean, fresh gas

4 Blocked fuel line -- Clean fuel line

5 Faulty spark plug -- Replace, clean, or adjust gap

6 Engine flooded -- Wait to restart, do not prime

7 Air filter filled with dirt or debris -- Replace or clean air filter

Try these and if they don't work, you will have to check with a service center.

Good Luck!

Best Answer

Have you checked the fuses? My son's riding mower wouldn't crank. Blown fuse was problem. Locate your fuse box and check out.

Best Answer

I had the same issues; try starting and 'click' or a longer hold on the key would finally start it up, however, Tried the turning of the cooling fan into a position where resistance was felt and it worked sometimes, I received this from other posts. I prefer a permanent fix not a makeshift one.

So here is my fix:
Checked that the battery was fully charged (it was), did a once over of all the electrical connections (all good), adjusted valves (a few were extremely loose, they need to have a 0.004" gap) this did the trick!

It starts evertime now just like it was from factory. If your a do-it-yourself type person there are some you tube videos on line that will show you the valve adjustment procedures.

Best Answer

I had same problem for two years. had to buy new push mower. Sears came out the following year and found the ground wire attached to mower frame came loose. You can not start engine without a ground. I did the same as you but bought two new battery thinking that would work.

I have a Yard Machine 17.5 hp. Briggs motor. It turns over slowly and won't start. It has a new battery, new spark plug, new fuel line, and filter. I checked for loose wires. I tried to jump it directly from the positive battery post to starter, but it still turns over slowly and won't fire.

By Denis

Answers

Best Answer

Try to adjust your valves pull the plug out bring it up to top dead center and set the Valves to 00.4 for the top one and 00.5 for bottom one see if that help you.

My Murray 17hp Briggs, starts great when cold. If I shut the machine down and start right away, it will usually start, but if I leave for 5 minutes or more it won't. It seems to be dumping a lot of gas into the carb. If I wait a period, an hour or 2, it cranks back up.

Answers

Best Answer

After doing a lot of research I found some good answers. Many people say that hot start problems are valve related. It seems when you engine heats the valves expand and they are not completely closing.

They suggest that you test your engine with a gage when it is cold and again when it is hot. Check to see how strong your compression is.

I have a Briggs and Stratton 8 HP engine with a horizontal shaft. It has a faulty carb that will run on choke idling, but I have to open the choke to throttle up above 1/4 throttle, otherwise if I leave it shut it will just after-fire (aka back fire but the proper term is after fire) and die. The same goes vice versa if it is idling then the choke has to be all the way shut for it to idle, otherwise it will just studder and die.

I have an old Briggs and Stratton 8 hp vertical shaft engine that is blown up. Could I swap parts from the vertical shaft engine and put them in the horizontal engine? Please help me.

Answers

Best Answer

In my experience, it is never a good idea to just mix and match components from different machinery/sources, etc, unless you are certain that they are 100% compatible. Things, from engines to printers to vacuum cleaners are designed with specific parts that fit perfectly with each other and interact perfectly with each other. By swapping with a similar-but-not-exact part, you run the risk of something that does not quite fit, that causes a dangerous malfunction.

I am not familiar with these engines or carburetors so I do not know if they ARE interchangeable, though if one is vertical v horizontal, that to me sounds very different.

YOu could actually TRY it, and see if it works. OF course you run the risk of destroying your engine.

A better option would be to simply go on ebay or orhter parts replacement online shop and investing $20 in a carburetor that you know works. www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_nkw=briggs+and+stratton+carburetor...

www.ereplacementparts.com/briggs-and-stratton-engine-parts...

I have a 14.5 OHV Briggs that will not start. I've done the following: replaced the solenoid, carb, removed all safety switches, and replaced all wires. The starter switch is now a push button starter relay with a separate kill switch, also a fuse-block so all wires have a fuse, only active wires are to starter and carb. The flywheel has a new key and the valves are set at .004. It gets spark and fuel. The battery and starter are good. It turns over, but will not start.

Answers

Best Answer

I'm no expert but went through
A similar experience recently changed the carb because it was getting fire etc. and I couldn't get it to run. Took it to a shop and he
tried a brand new spark plug and voila!
I wish I'd tried that first

My Briggs and Stratton 18.5 hp will not start, it won't turn over; it just clicks. I just replaced the solenoid and the battery is charged.

By BHall

Answers

Best Answer

Check for a proper grounding. Next see if your getting power from your battery to your starter.

I have a Briggs and Stratton 22hp v-twin mower. I started it for the first time this year. It ran about 5 mins. made a pop noise and stopped running. Now it will not start. Help! I can hear the grass growing.
Lol

Answers

Have you tried checking the spark plugs? air filter? or fuel?

Reference/More Information:

www.briggsandstratton.com/.../top-5-mower-troubleshooting-tips...

Good luck!

I'd make sure the carbs were clean. Here is a how-to video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttM0Jgs65GY

From Briggs and Stratton website:

Other possible causes include: Loose, Dirty or Disconnected Spark Plug in Your Lawn Mower: Check it out, clean off debris, re-connect and tighten. Fuel Not Reaching the Engine: Tap the side of the carburetor to help the flow of gas. If this doesn't work, you might need a new fuel filter.

I have a Briggs and Stratton 12hp engine in my ride on mower that will not start. I have replaced the battery and starter, and have cleaned the carburetor. The engine turns over slowly as if the battery is low on charge (although I have charged it up) and there is a good spark at the plug. I have tried jump leads off the car, but it does not help. Any ideas?

By gd21 from Sunshine Coast, Qld

Answers

Go to youtube type in cant start whatever model mower wont start and lots of videos will show you how to. All kinds of mowers. No harm in trying.

Also it might not be earthing properly when you replaced the starter motor and battery.

My Briggs Statton push mower won't start. I put fresh gas in, checked the oil and the spark plug. What could it be?

By Carol from Peachtree City, GA

I have a Briggs and Stratton motor on my riding lawn mower that will not spark. Thought it might be the magneto and replaced it. No joy. How do I know I am not getting a spark? I pulled the plug wire and turned over the engine and put the wire next to the block hoping to see a spark, but I did not. Is there anything else to check to see if a spark is there?

By Vincent from Lakeland, TN

Answers:

Mower With a Briggs and Stratton Engine Won't Start

I know this sounds silly, but did you replace your spark plug with a new one? Might be worth a try. (06/30/2009)

By lesley

Our riding mower will not start. It's a very long story that goes back about 3 weeks. In a nut shell, the engine has been rebuilt, carburetor has been rebuilt, we have fuel, we have spark, new battery, new spark plug, compression is good, the mower just turns and turns, but will not start. Timing has been triple checked and is perfect. It wants to start so badly (and so do we). Any ideas? It's a Briggs and Stratton model 31C707, Type 0603E1.

By Kim from Roanoke, VA

Answers:

Inside the gas tank on a tube is a tiny filter and it plugs with junk, just buy a new one and put it on. (06/11/2009)

By Cheecky

I had a similar problem with my mower until I emptied the tank and put in some fresh, premium gasoline, then it started right up. It's worth a shot. (06/11/2009)

By JB

I would check to make sure all "safety's" are hooked up, and if yours has a transmission disengage, make sure it is engaged. (06/12/2009)

By kay winters

There may be some water in your gasoline. Drain it and replace it with fresh gas (not from the same gas can), and try again. (06/12/2009)

By Kathie Haney

My mower has a 16 h B and S twin engine. It has fresh gas, new oil and good spark plugs. The mower will not start. Any ideas?

By al from PA

Answers:

There's a dozen things that could cause this problem. Start with the fuel line, as it might be clogged. Could be the starter has gone bad. Have you checked your manual to look for trouble shooting ideas? Here's links you might check out.

http://www.westongm.eclipse.co.uk/Diagnosis.html

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Small-Engines-Lawn-1746/Briggs-stratton-19hp-twin.htm

(06/03/2009)

By Myrna

Thanks for the help. I pulled the cylinder heads and found that I have one stuck piston on the left side and one stuck intake valve on the right side. Time to make repairs. Not sure if piston is stuck or the or the connecting rod snapped, I would guess the rod is the problem. Thanks again for the ideas. (06/03/2009)

By al

My son thought he'd get my mower ready for me and over filled the oil. 2 uses and it won't start. I figured the spark plug was carboned up so I pulled off the rubber cover, unscrewed the plug and cleaned between the post and metal piece at the end (there's a gap). Use a nail file or emery board to remove the soot, and it starts just fine. I had to drain some of that oil too. (06/04/2009)

By shirley dobie

I have a 14hp Briggs engine on my lawn tractor. It will not start, it has no spark, and has plenty of gas. I have checked all of the safety switches. I have actually jumped them out and still no spark. Where else can I look?

I have a Briggs and Stratton riding lawn mower, Model 42A707. I just replaced the battery. When I turn the key, you can hear the starter spinning.

I'm working on a 12Hp Briggs which powers a ride on mower. It won't start and a compression test revealed it had only 7psi dry and 10psi wet. I've stripped the engine bare and can't find a single thing wrong with it.

My mower with a B&S (Briggs & Stratton) engine won't start. Per feedback from others concerning similar problems, I took plug out still attached to wire, there was no spark when I pulled cord.