Riding Mower Won't Start When Engine Hot

My Murray 17hp Briggs, starts great when cold. If I shut the machine down and start right away, it will usually start, but if I leave for 5 minutes or more it won't. It seems to be dumping a lot of gas into the carb. If I wait a period, an hour or 2, it cranks back up.

Best Answer

After doing a lot of research I found some good answers. Many people say that hot start problems are valve related. It seems when you engine heats the valves expand and they are not completely closing. They suggest that you test your engine with a gage when it is cold and again when it is hot. Check to see how strong your compression is.