Cub Cadet Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

Category Lawn Mowers
Troubleshooting the reason your mower won't start is a process that hopefully gets you back to mowing soon. This is a guide about Cub Cadet riding lawn mower won't start.

I just mowed last week, but now it won't start. When I mowed last week the mower was low on gas, but I wanted to get as much done as I could. I ended up running out of gas and my paw paw had to help me get it to the building. We put it in neutral, pulled it with his fourwheeler, and pushed it into the building. Now this week I filled it with gas, went to start it, and it would not turn over. It tries to, but won't. I have no idea what could be wrong.

Answers

You might not have all the safety features engaged and that is why it won't start. Here is a troubleshooting guide from the company. http://www.cubc  revised_5_19.pdf

Have you tried to prime the carburetor?

This might be helpful, from ShopYourWay:

It's very possible that there was some trash/debris floating around in the fuel tank and when the engine ran out the stuff was sucked into the fuel line.

If you're sure the fuel lines are clean and debris free, you'll need to remove the bowl of the carburetor to clean it out. It's possible to have some trash/debris sitting in the bottom of the carb bowl that it stopping up the jets.

Normally in these circumstances it is fuel related problems causing trouble. It's also possible that you over primed or over choked when trying to re-start and flooded the engine. Take the spark plug out and see if it's wet. If it is, dry the plug off good and let it sit with the plug out for about an hour. Put the spark plug back in and see if you can start the mower.

Thanks, but I always check safety features first thing beside if it was it wouldn't have been doing anything at all. I was able to get a hold of my paw paw and we got it started. He said because I let it run out of gas I had to give it time for everything to prime.

What your Pawpaw told you was exactly what I'd have have told you to try first. I'm wondering if in doing so, that he showed you how to do it in the event it happens again?

I have owned mowers and other equipment that we had to Prime the carburetor every time we started it. If you aren't quite sure, you can look at your manual or even ask your pawpaw again.

Unplug the pto,plug it back up, it should start.

My Cub Cadet SLTX 1054 will turn over, but will not fire. We know that we are getting gas to the carburetor, but the mower will not fire. Help please.

Answers

Apparently quite a few people in Internet Land have a problems similar to yours, it turns over but does not start

some solutions were

- check the fuse to make sure it's functioning; it would be found on the left side of the battery box as you look at the mower from the front.
- check the terminal marked 'b' which should be hot all the time. If there is voltage there, then you don't need to check for the fuse, but if there's not then check fuse
- if the starter seems to be labouring to turn over the engine, you may have to replace the starter or put a 200 amp booster on it in order for it to start.
- check the spark
- check the coil

I am of the mind to go right to the source when expensive items don't work as they give the best info and you have less of a chance of causing more damage if you go monkeying around with things willy nilly! Their contact info is below:

support.cubcadet.com/.../

They can also tell you if there have been any recalls, which could mean a free fix and free is good!

You could also see if your local shop will give a free repair estimate. That may help you decide next steps.

Good luck!

You could have issues with the starter.

I have a Cub Cadet riding lawn mower that won't start or turn over. It worked fine last week when I used it. What could the problem be?

Answers

The switch is under the seat. You can try disconnecting it and re-connecting it.

Please see Cub Cadet's help sheet on this problem:

http://www.cubc  revised_5_19.pdf

Have you checked the fuse?
If still having a problem you can ask your question on this site:

http://www.cubc  cadet/contact-us

Manuals:

http://www.cubc  perators-manuals

https://power.k  /engines/manuals

My Cub Cadet won't start. It clicks, but won't turn the motor over. I had the charger on the battery and the same thing happens. Is it possible the motor is seized? I was mowing and it clattered a few times and quit.

Answers

The cub site has a nice PDF self help guide www.cubcadet.com/.../2008_SevenProblems_revised_5_19.pdf

There is also some good info at their link support.cubcadet.com/.../212-1

That said...this may be a dumb question, but are you sure there isn't a nest in it somewhere? I ask because a friend had a hornet nest in her rider and it caused all kinds of havoc.

Once she (SAFELY) got that all cleared, the mower was fine.

She later told me a friend of hers had a mouse nest causing issues. That was sad.

You could have a bad ground. Watch this video to see how to fix it: www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKpj7lKT5u0

I put the positive cable on negative terminal and put the negative on the positive by mistake. I reversed the cables and now they are on the right way. It will not start. What do I do next?

By Willaim

Answers

This can short out the starter or the solenoids on the mower. You'll need to take a volt meter and test your cables to make sure you are getting a good charge or reading to the starter and solenoids on the mower.

It happened to me and I simply replaced the 20 amp fuse that blew during the mishap. Took me a minute to find it, but it was no problem once I knew where to look. Its north of the switch!

I have a 2186 Cub Cadet lawn tractor. It will not start. It has a new battery and iginition switch.

Answers

Here are a few things you can check:

1. You need to start with the gas tank and your gas.
  2. If you've left gas in the tank when storing your mower sledge has formed in your tank.
  3. You'll have to clean the tank and add new gas.
  4. You'll also have to clean your carburetor and make sure there is no sludge in there.
  5. You will need to replace your spark plugs.
  6. If none of this helps please ask a few of the experts at this forum for advice: http://www.mytr  reel-mowers.html

I replaced the starter solenoid and still get the clicking sound. The volt meter shows low voltage on the low voltage side. Anyone know the cause of this?

By Charlie

Answers

sounds like starter issue to me

My Cub Cadet, single cylinder B&S will turn over when the plug is pulled, but dead heads when plug is installed. Any ideas?

By Al

I have a 1989 Cub Cadet riding lawnmower. I just replaced the condenser and coil and it burned out after 10 minutes. What would cause this?

By Nathan S. from Bark River, MI

I have a commercial Cub Cadet recon Zero Turn and it won't start. When I turn the ignition it won't click, a few days ago it ran just fine then all of a sudden it won't even click. I've checked the plugs and battery and they are OK. Please give me some guidance.

By B. McMullen

My Cub Cadet riding mower won't turn over at all. It doesn't make a sound.

By ROBERT from Sanford, NC

The starter cord is locked on my Cub Cadet with Briggs & Stratton engine. I got one season of good mowing. This season it was hard to start and when I finally got it going it locked up after 1/2 of my large yard. I turned the mower off and on several times over the course of mowing the yard to dump grass and pick up dog poop.

Pulling cord was getting more and more difficult to pull. It would jerk and halt, but the mower would ultimately start. Then all of a sudden it wouldn't pull an inch. I took the cover off and removed the pulley unit. The pulley moves fine when removed, but flanges (?) come out and lock against ridges in the unit when mounted and the cord is pulled.

The gas is full, oil clean and full, and there is no grass impedance. The choke and hand lever seem to be functioning normally, but took fussing with them to start the first time. Now nothing will unlock the cord because pulling engages the metal "wings" on the pulley unit and they lock against metal notches in the mounting cylinder.

By Elisabeth from Placerville, CA

Answers:

Cub Cadet Mower Won't Start

Take it back to where you got it or to a shop, good luck. (04/14/2010)

By kathleen williams

Cub Cadet Mower Won't Start

I asked my hubby and he said to take the spark plug out and then try to pull the rope. It should pull easy then. If it still doesn't, that means something is locked up. Try this, it might help. Or, as Hubby said, it might be a lot of other things. This is one idea to try. Hope it's the one! (04/14/2010)

By Teresa