John Deere Riding Mower Won't Start

Category Lawn Mowers
You can almost hear the grass growing as you sit there trying to start up your uncooperative riding mower. This is a page about John Deere riding mower won't start.

I have a John Deere L110 lawn mower that will not start or even turn over. I replaced the spark plug and charged the battery, but still it would not make a sound. What do I do?

Answers

Best Answer

1- battery, jump it with your car
2) selinoid is shot, use screw driver to connect the 2 post to see if your getting power

Best Answer

Under the seat there is a safety switch that cuts the power if you would fall off, etc. Try unplugging it and replugging and or replacing it.

I was mowing on my JD 445 when I hit a stump with the front of the mower deck. The tractor immediately cut off! I disengaged the blades and then tried to start it. It is dead as a door nail. My husband checked the battery cables/fuse. All OK. What could have happened?

Thank you!

Answers

Best Answer

You sheared the keyway and flyrod.

Anonymous
Best Answer

I have had a safety switch knocked out of alignment after hitting stuff with my Deere. Worth checking out

I have a John Deere F 910 front mower that I am trying to get running after it has been sitting for some time. The current problem is that the battery will crank one time with no sluggishness, the engine turns over, but doesn't start (carb is most likely clogged but that's another issue) and then the battery is completely dead. I can recharge it fully, but then will have the same result. I had the battery checked and it is good. Suggestions?

Thank you.

I have a John Deere LA125. I bought it new in 2009. After sitting unused in the garage for the winter (5 months) I couldn't get get it to run. The engine wouldn't turn. There was either a clicking sound when turning the key or no sound at all. I changed the spark plug - nothing. I boosted the battery and it ran. I was able to cut the lawn then turned it off. A few minutes later, I tried to start it and it wouldn't start again. I have to boost the battery each time. Any ideas?

By Mike L.

Answers

Best Answer

I bought a brand new John Deere LA120. After a few uses it would not start or I would get a click sound or it would just turn over once or twice then nothing. I thought it was the battery or an open ground causing the problem.

A newer high amp battery may not change anything. I carefully checked out all the wiring. Nothing. I asked a dealer. He said it was the valves out of alignment. I thought he was crazy. I checked with a second dealer and he said the same thing. He said they could adjust the valves but I would be back next year with the same problem.

His suggestion was to rotate the air intake counter clockwise that sat on top of the engine until I felt resistance then it should start. I rotated the air intake as he suggested and could feel the resistance and hear the cylinders and valves moving. Then it started right up. So that is how I have to start the thing every time.

Sometimes I have to turn the air intake clockwise for it to start. The air cleaner is the screen disc that sits on top of the engine and rotates when the engine is running

Best Answer

From the Service Bulletin:
John Deere 100 series
Complaint or symptom:
- nothing happens when you turn key to start position.

- solenoid clicks when you turn key to start position.
- solenoid moves but starter drive gear does not engage flywheel.
- battery and starter pass technical manual tests.
problem:
voltage drops between battery and starter solenoid.
solution:
1. install relay kit (am107421). installation instructions +(m77862)+ are provided with
kit. grease terminals with mpg2 grease (m79292).
+(2. if relay kit does not resolve, cleaning and inspection of battery posts, cables, and
electrical connection is required to elimiante voltage drop. grease connections with
mpg-2 to prevent corrosion.)+

I have a JD345 that was running and no longer will start. Spark occurs at both plugs and are new. The fuel pump seems to draw in fuel, but nothing.

I poured a very small amount of fuel in the carb and the engine did run, but then shut off again. Any thoughts?

Answers

Best Answer

How long has the mower sat with the gas in the tank? If you have dirty gas in the tank it can clog the fuel line, filter and carburetor. You also need to check the solenoids on the mower to make sure they are good and don't need to be swapped out.

My D130 has a new battery and it will crank, but won't start. I checked the air filter and it isn't bad. When I pulled the spark plugs they were clean and wet with gas. I don't know what else to check.

Answers

Best Answer

Plugs are not supposed to be wet with gas...Either too much fuel is coming out, or no spark. Check your fuel filter and the gaps on your plugs.

I have a John Deere X730 mower. When I turn the key the dash lights turn on and the headlights work (bright), but it doesn't turn over.

Answers

Best Answer

This could be an issue with the starter in the mower or a problem with the spark plugs. Check them out and see if you are getting any juice to them with a voltmeter.

Best Answer

Could also be a weak battery!

I own a John Deere e130 with 15 hours since new. It cranks, but won't start. The fuel filter and air filter are both clean and look like new. The fuel filter filled as it should, but seems it's not getting fuel though.

Answers

Best Answer

Since you just purchased this mower there is a guarantee that they should honor. If you try to fix this yourself it can void your warranty. I would call the company you purchased this from and have them come take a look at the mower. Maybe it is a simple fix that they can do at your home. You may need to take it back to the shop where you bought it from.

My D170 won't start in cold weather. The battery is good and I changed the solenoid. It is getting power as if heats up starts. Any advise?

Answers

Best Answer

If this is only happening in cold weather maybe there is something that is blocking your carburetor that is causing the gas to not flow freely to start the tractor. I would see if there is anything in the fuel lines or if they are blocked that is causing this to not start.

My John Deere lawnmower will barely turn over. I put in a new battery, starter, and solenoid! Any idea what could be the problem? It would run fine after I got it started, but it will not turn enough to even start now!

Answers

Best Answer

Here are a few things that can cause the tractor to not start.

1. Inspect your spark plugs for signs of wear and tear. The spark plug is what ignites the air mixture and fuel in the engine's cylinder to start the tractor.
  2. You could have old or bad gas in your engine. If you have left gas in the engine it could evaporate and leave a thick substance in your engine that can clog your engine. The old gas can clog the carburetor and your engine won't strt.
  3. The last problem could be a clogged fuel filter. This also happens from bad or dirty gas.
  4. Before replacing any of these parts rain the old fuel from your fuel tank and replace it with new fuel.

I have a JD L130. I have a new battery, that I bought last month. There is also a new fuse, new safety switch on the brake, and had my starter tested (it's good). However my engine won't start or click. Sometimes I get the display to light up. Any ideas?

I have a John Deere 115 lawn tractor. I replaced the battery and the solenoid. When I try to start it, I barely get the engine to turn one rotation. It turns and stops and there is a crying/whining sound. The only way to start it is to jump it with my car. Would a new starter fix this problem?

My John Deere D105 turns over, but won't crank. It's got plenty of power so it's not the battery. I checked the carburetor, the safety, the brake, and everything else I could think of. Any ideas?

Answers

Best Answer

There is a safety switch under the seat that stops the machine from being started unless someone is sitting on it. It may be disabled. Check that first.

My John Deere D130 has no power. The hour meter works, but the lights do not. Nothing happens when the key is turned. I checked PTO, brake pedal, seat switch, and starter connections and all appear fine. It is a 2012 model and the battery is new. Any other suggestions?

Answers

Best Answer

Thank you but the problem ended up being a bad connection with the positive battery cable. The lights not working pointed to that or the key. Thanks, all is well

I have a John Deere 135 automatic. The solenoid clicks, but it won't start. The battery is good.

By Brent

Answers

Best Answer

It sounds like you need to replace the solenoid. Jump the terminals, I'd it starts the starter solenoid is bad and needs to be replaced.

I can't get my 125 John Deere riding lawn mower to fire up. It has plenty of gas and the battery is fully charged.

By MMP

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

Take a look at the ground wire - the same thing happened to my Sears Craftsman mower - somehow, the ground wire broke and the mower wouldn't start or even turn over. My son reconnected the ground wire and it's been running OK since then.

My L110 John Deere mower has no spark at the plug wire. What could be the problem?

By Tom from Marblefalls, TX

Answers

Best Answer

Ive been a small engine tech for about 20 years.
It sounds like you have a bad coil.

Load More

In These Pages
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersApril 27, 2017
📓
🐛
😎
🌻
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/John-Deere-Riding-Mower-Wont-Start-9.html