John Deere Riding Mower Won't Start

Category Lawn Mowers
You can almost hear the grass growing as you sit there trying to start up your uncooperative riding mower. This is a page about John Deere riding mower won't start.

I have a John Deere L110 lawn mower that will not start or even turn over. I replaced the spark plug and charged the battery, but still it would not make a sound. What do I do?

Answers

Best Answer

1- battery, jump it with your car
2) selinoid is shot, use screw driver to connect the 2 post to see if your getting power

Best Answer

Under the seat there is a safety switch that cuts the power if you would fall off, etc. Try unplugging it and replugging and or replacing it.

I was mowing on my JD 445 when I hit a stump with the front of the mower deck. The tractor immediately cut off! I disengaged the blades and then tried to start it. It is dead as a door nail. My husband checked the battery cables/fuse. All OK. What could have happened?

Thank you!

Answers

Best Answer

You sheared the keyway and flyrod.

Anonymous
Best Answer

I have had a safety switch knocked out of alignment after hitting stuff with my Deere. Worth checking out

I have a John Deere LA125. I bought it new in 2009. After sitting unused in the garage for the winter (5 months) I couldn't get get it to run. The engine wouldn't turn. There was either a clicking sound when turning the key or no sound at all. I changed the spark plug - nothing. I boosted the battery and it ran. I was able to cut the lawn then turned it off. A few minutes later, I tried to start it and it wouldn't start again. I have to boost the battery each time. Any ideas?

By Mike L.

Answers

Best Answer

I bought a brand new John Deere LA120. After a few uses it would not start or I would get a click sound or it would just turn over once or twice then nothing. I thought it was the battery or an open ground causing the problem.

A newer high amp battery may not change anything. I carefully checked out all the wiring. Nothing. I asked a dealer. He said it was the valves out of alignment. I thought he was crazy. I checked with a second dealer and he said the same thing. He said they could adjust the valves but I would be back next year with the same problem.

His suggestion was to rotate the air intake counter clockwise that sat on top of the engine until I felt resistance then it should start. I rotated the air intake as he suggested and could feel the resistance and hear the cylinders and valves moving. Then it started right up. So that is how I have to start the thing every time.

Sometimes I have to turn the air intake clockwise for it to start. The air cleaner is the screen disc that sits on top of the engine and rotates when the engine is running

Best Answer

From the Service Bulletin:
John Deere 100 series
Complaint or symptom:
- nothing happens when you turn key to start position.
- solenoid clicks when you turn key to start position.
- solenoid moves but starter drive gear does not engage flywheel.
- battery and starter pass technical manual tests.
problem:
voltage drops between battery and starter solenoid.
solution:
1. install relay kit (am107421). installation instructions +(m77862)+ are provided with
kit. grease terminals with mpg2 grease (m79292).
+(2. if relay kit does not resolve, cleaning and inspection of battery posts, cables, and
electrical connection is required to elimiante voltage drop. grease connections with

mpg-2 to prevent corrosion.)+

My D130 has a new battery and it will crank, but won't start. I checked the air filter and it isn't bad. When I pulled the spark plugs they were clean and wet with gas. I don't know what else to check.

Answers

Best Answer

Plugs are not supposed to be wet with gas...Either too much fuel is coming out, or no spark. Check your fuel filter and the gaps on your plugs.

My John Deere lawnmower will barely turn over. I put in a new battery, starter, and solenoid! Any idea what could be the problem?

It would run fine after I got it started, but it will not turn enough to even start now!

Answers

Best Answer

Here are a few things that can cause the tractor to not start.

1. Inspect your spark plugs for signs of wear and tear. The spark plug is what ignites the air mixture and fuel in the engine's cylinder to start the tractor.
  2. You could have old or bad gas in your engine. If you have left gas in the engine it could evaporate and leave a thick substance in your engine that can clog your engine. The old gas can clog the carburetor and your engine won't strt.
  3. The last problem could be a clogged fuel filter. This also happens from bad or dirty gas.
  4. Before replacing any of these parts rain the old fuel from your fuel tank and replace it with new fuel.

My John Deere D105 turns over, but won't crank. It's got plenty of power so it's not the battery. I checked the carburetor, the safety, the brake, and everything else I could think of. Any ideas?

Answers

Best Answer

There is a safety switch under the seat that stops the machine from being started unless someone is sitting on it. It may be disabled. Check that first.

My John Deere D130 has no power. The hour meter works, but the lights do not. Nothing happens when the key is turned. I checked PTO, brake pedal, seat switch, and starter connections and all appear fine. It is a 2012 model and the battery is new. Any other suggestions?

Answers

Best Answer

Thank you but the problem ended up being a bad connection with the positive battery cable. The lights not working pointed to that or the key. Thanks, all is well

I have a John Deere 135 automatic. The solenoid clicks, but it won't start. The battery is good.

By Brent

Answers

Best Answer

It sounds like you need to replace the solenoid. Jump the terminals, I'd it starts the starter solenoid is bad and needs to be replaced.

My L110 John Deere mower has no spark at the plug wire. What could be the problem?

By Tom from Marblefalls, TX

Answers

Best Answer

Ive been a small engine tech for about 20 years.
It sounds like you have a bad coil.

I have a John Deere ride on mower. The other day I got off the seat without putting it on park and it shut off and won't start. It turns over and has battery power, but won't run. It did that before and it started after a few days. What can I do?

Answers

Best Answer

Not positive(no pun intended) about tractors but ignition and computer problems where nothing is broken can many times be solved by resetting the computer system(even a rudimentary one such as the ignition chip). Most cars you can do this by crossing the battery wires. I would have said check fuses until you said it happened before and self corrected. Almost certain it just needs a computer reset. Online manuel of manuf. site would also tell you how to do it. there is usually more than one way, crossing the wires is universal. Good luck! Peace All.

I can't get my 125 John Deere riding lawn mower to fire up. It has plenty of gas and the battery is fully charged.

By MMP

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

Take a look at the ground wire - the same thing happened to my Sears Craftsman mower - somehow, the ground wire broke and the mower wouldn't start or even turn over. My son reconnected the ground wire and it's been running OK since then.

My mower has no spark. I changed the plug and there is still no spark. I checked the coil 10000 ohms resistance, checked the coil gap, and I also changed the igniter on the side. I'm out of ideas.

My John Deere 17.5 riding mower does not turn starter when under compression. It turns over fast when spark plug is out. Could this be faulty starter?

Answers

Swap out the starter and see if that solves your problem.

Did it just start happening or did you leave the tractor alone for a long time?

How about the fuse under the dash?

Reference: https://www.sho  uestions/1131263

Started right up this spring. Now will not start unless pulled over several times. Had sheared crank key.

My daughter borrowed my riding mower yesterday. New to riding mowers, she was mowing with the throttle at a low speed and of course, the lack of lift resulted in the bag chute filling up. She stopped the mower and Dad to the rescue. After explaining the need for a full throttle while mowing, I went to start the mower up and nothing. I checked the regular culprits (brake lock, mower engage lever, seat sensor). All were good. I checked the battery, cleaned the ignition harness and wires, cleaned the brake override harness, and still nothing. The hour meter works, lights work, and if I engage the mower lever while turning the ignition, it clicks. I did notice when I was brushing the ignition wire harness, the wire bristles created a quick "short" and the flywheel engaged for a split second. Not sure where to go from here?

I just cut 2 acres with my JD D150 and the mower ran great. I decided to cut a patch through the waist high grass and the mower just stopped. It will not start? The headlights work, but it will not turn over.

Sometimes I have to leave the key for about ten minutes before the tractor will start. Has anyone else come across this problem? What is the solution?

I have a John Deere gt262 it has 17 horsepower motor. I was mowing one day and it just shut off like it ran out of gas. I checked and it had gas. I put a new fuel filter on it and it will only run when I have the choke fully on.

Answers

There are many reasons. You could have a bad spark plug or an electrical problem. Here is a great website from John Deere to help you: http://manuals.  142698_I014.html

thank you very much,but I couldn't find what I needed.that was an great site.

I read this advice online that might help you:

"In most cases a tractor only running with the choke pulled out indicates trash and/or contamination being present in the carburetor. If the fuel pump is failing it might would still run but only with the choke out. Normally it wouldn't run for very long like that though. With the tank being in the rear of the machine it is also possible that something has happened to the fuel hose. I would recommend inspecting the fuel hose to make sure it's not pinched or broken. A slight crack in the fuel line would have the same effect where pulling the choke out would cause it to run. Normally in that circumstance you would notice a gas leak though."

The site has a lot of suggestions and contributors. Check it out here:

https://www.sho  uestions/1211667

I used my mower last week and today there is nothing, no clicking no turning to start, total quiet! The light does come on. I took the seat apart to get to the kill switch and manually depressed the button, while depressing clutch to activate and still nothing. I am not much of a mechanic so I think I am close to trying to load it into my truck and taking it to local repair shop!

I've replaced the starter, the solenoid, changed the oil, spark plug, and filter. But it still just clicks when I turn the key over. Given the clicking has gotten a lot fast since I've changed the starter and solenoid, what do you think could still be the problem?

I was mowing a yard and then my mower was running great and then it shut off and the only thing it does now is just crank. It won't turn over or fire up and then if it does turn over it only runs for a couple of seconds and then shuts off and won't start up again.

My mower won't start. It turns over, but will only start with starting fluid. I have replaced the carb, battery, spark plug, fuel pump, and fuel filter. I cleaned the fuel lines from filter to gas tank. The new carb came with a new carb solenoid. I drained the oil and replaced the oil filter. What else can I do?

The starter on my John Deere works hooked straight to a battery, both terminals. I mounted the starter on the engine and ran a hot wire straight to the starter and it doesn't turn. What could it be?

Answers

You already determined that your battery works, which is the first step. Follow the steps listed in this article. www.hunker.com/.../how-to-troubleshoot-a-john-deere...

When cranking my John Deere 445, it will click maybe 3 or sometimes 12 times before it will crank. Any idea what it may be? I replaced the solenoid and cleaned the battery cables and still clicks.

Answers

The switch is located under the seat. Maybe you need to replace it.

Load More
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersApril 27, 2017
😎
🐛
🌻
📓