John Deere Riding Mower Won't Start

Category Lawn Mowers
You can almost hear the grass growing as you sit there trying to start up your uncooperative riding mower. This is a guide about John Deere riding mower won't start.

I was mowing on my JD 445 when I hit a stump with the front of the mower deck. The tractor immediately cut off! I disengaged the blades and then tried to start it. It is dead as a door nail. My husband checked the battery cables/fuse. All OK. What could have happened?
Thank you!

Answers

Best Answer

You sheared the keyway and flyrod.

Anonymous
Best Answer

I have had a safety switch knocked out of alignment after hitting stuff with my Deere. Worth checking out

I have a John Deere L110 lawn mower that will not start or even turn over. I replaced the spark plug and charged the battery, but still it would not make a sound. What do I do?

Answers

Best Answer

1- battery, jump it with your car
2) selinoid is shot, use screw driver to connect the 2 post to see if your getting power

Best Answer

Under the seat there is a safety switch that cuts the power if you would fall off, etc. Try unplugging it and replugging and or replacing it.

I have a John Deere LA125. I bought it new in 2009. After sitting unused in the garage for the winter (5 months) I couldn't get get it to run. The engine wouldn't turn. There was either a clicking sound when turning the key or no sound at all. I changed the spark plug - nothing. I boosted the battery and it ran. I was able to cut the lawn then turned it off. A few minutes later, I tried to start it and it wouldn't start again. I have to boost the battery each time. Any ideas?

By Mike L.

Answers

Best Answer

I bought a brand new John Deere LA120. After a few uses it would not start or I would get a click sound or it would just turn over once or twice then nothing. I thought it was the battery or an open ground causing the problem.

A newer high amp battery may not change anything. I carefully checked out all the wiring. Nothing. I asked a dealer. He said it was the valves out of alignment. I thought he was crazy. I checked with a second dealer and he said the same thing. He said they could adjust the valves but I would be back next year with the same problem.

His suggestion was to rotate the air intake counter clockwise that sat on top of the engine until I felt resistance then it should start. I rotated the air intake as he suggested and could feel the resistance and hear the cylinders and valves moving. Then it started right up. So that is how I have to start the thing every time.

Sometimes I have to turn the air intake clockwise for it to start. The air cleaner is the screen disc that sits on top of the engine and rotates when the engine is running

Best Answer

From the Service Bulletin:
John Deere 100 series
Complaint or symptom:
- nothing happens when you turn key to start position.
- solenoid clicks when you turn key to start position.
- solenoid moves but starter drive gear does not engage flywheel.
- battery and starter pass technical manual tests.
problem:
voltage drops between battery and starter solenoid.
solution:
1. install relay kit (am107421). installation instructions +(m77862)+ are provided with
kit. grease terminals with mpg2 grease (m79292).
+(2. if relay kit does not resolve, cleaning and inspection of battery posts, cables, and
electrical connection is required to elimiante voltage drop. grease connections with

mpg-2 to prevent corrosion.)+

My D130 has a new battery and it will crank, but won't start. I checked the air filter and it isn't bad. When I pulled the spark plugs they were clean and wet with gas. I don't know what else to check.

Answers

Best Answer

Plugs are not supposed to be wet with gas...Either too much fuel is coming out, or no spark. Check your fuel filter and the gaps on your plugs.

My John Deere lawnmower will barely turn over. I put in a new battery, starter, and solenoid! Any idea what could be the problem? It would run fine after I got it started, but it will not turn enough to even start now!

Answers

Best Answer

Here are a few things that can cause the tractor to not start.

1. Inspect your spark plugs for signs of wear and tear. The spark plug is what ignites the air mixture and fuel in the engine's cylinder to start the tractor.
  2. You could have old or bad gas in your engine. If you have left gas in the engine it could evaporate and leave a thick substance in your engine that can clog your engine. The old gas can clog the carburetor and your engine won't strt.
  3. The last problem could be a clogged fuel filter. This also happens from bad or dirty gas.
  4. Before replacing any of these parts rain the old fuel from your fuel tank and replace it with new fuel.

I have a John Deere 135 automatic. The solenoid clicks, but it won't start. The battery is good.

By Brent

Answers

Best Answer

It sounds like you need to replace the solenoid. Jump the terminals, I'd it starts the starter solenoid is bad and needs to be replaced.

My L110 John Deere mower has no spark at the plug wire. What could be the problem?

By Tom from Marblefalls, TX

Answers

Best Answer

Ive been a small engine tech for about 20 years.
It sounds like you have a bad coil.

I can't get my 125 John Deere riding lawn mower to fire up. It has plenty of gas and the battery is fully charged.

By MMP

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

Take a look at the ground wire - the same thing happened to my Sears Craftsman mower - somehow, the ground wire broke and the mower wouldn't start or even turn over. My son reconnected the ground wire and it's been running OK since then.

My John Deere 17.5 riding mower does not turn starter when under compression. It turns over fast when spark plug is out. Could this be faulty starter?

Answers

Swap out the starter and see if that solves your problem.

Did it just start happening or did you leave the tractor alone for a long time?

How about the fuse under the dash?

Reference: https://www.sho  uestions/1131263

Started right up this spring. Now will not start unless pulled over several times. Had sheared crank key.

I have a John Deere gt262 it has 17 horsepower motor. I was mowing one day and it just shut off like it ran out of gas. I checked and it had gas. I put a new fuel filter on it and it will only run when I have the choke fully on.

Answers

There are many reasons. You could have a bad spark plug or an electrical problem. Here is a great website from John Deere to help you: http://manuals.  142698_I014.html

thank you very much,but I couldn't find what I needed.that was an great site.

I read this advice online that might help you:

"In most cases a tractor only running with the choke pulled out indicates trash and/or contamination being present in the carburetor. If the fuel pump is failing it might would still run but only with the choke out. Normally it wouldn't run for very long like that though. With the tank being in the rear of the machine it is also possible that something has happened to the fuel hose. I would recommend inspecting the fuel hose to make sure it's not pinched or broken. A slight crack in the fuel line would have the same effect where pulling the choke out would cause it to run. Normally in that circumstance you would notice a gas leak though."

The site has a lot of suggestions and contributors. Check it out here:

https://www.sho  uestions/1211667

When cranking my John Deere 445, it will click maybe 3 or sometimes 12 times before it will crank. Any idea what it may be? I replaced the solenoid and cleaned the battery cables and still clicks.

Answers

The switch is located under the seat. Maybe you need to replace it.

Check the battery itself, it might need a full charge up or replacement

I have a John Deere 100 series lawn tractor. I started it up after a long period of inactivity. It only ran for a while, backfired loudly, shut off, and won't start again. What could be wrong?

Answers

You have a problem with your carburetor. You have left fuel in your engine too long. You will need to clean the carburetor and the gunk inside the carburetor. You might need to take the carburetor apart to clean this.

Make sure the fuel lines are clear.

I have a John Deere riding mower lt133 that just doesn't seem to want to start. I replaced the battery and solenoid and I still don't get a sound when I turn the key. I have checked every connection twice. I have checked all the fuses I could find. I am out of ideas. Does anyone have any ideas about what I should try next? Thanks for the time and help.

Answers

There is a switch under the seat that prevents the motor from starting if no one is sitting on it. Make sure it is not broken or disabled.

I have a John Deere 100 series rider mower that won't start. It only clicks. The battery has been fully charged, there is no spark.

Answers

You could have issues with the carburetor, fuel lines or a number of other issues. It is best to follow a troubleshooting guide step by step to help you determine the exact problem with your mower. Here is the guide:
http://homeguid  eries-93071.html

I have a 1979 John Deere 112 riding mower. It is not getting a spark. I tried changing the plug, but it still won't fire.

Answers

A few things to check on your mower.

1. You have changed the spark plug, but did you change the solenoid?
  2. Solenoids can go bad and need changing. If the mower has sat during the winter, it is a good idea to change this.
  3. If a new solenoid doesn't help, you will need to change the ignition switch.
  4. Check the 12V coming from the solenoid to see if you have a current running through.
  5. If not you will need to change the starter assist relay also.

My John Deere 400 won't start and doesn't make any noise or anything.

By Kristina

Answers

Test your solenoid
And check all safety switches

Take a look at this video for how to test the solenoid
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsvJMnpQBas

My John Deere 425 tractor has no power. The lights on the dash do not light and no power is present. I replaced the battery and terminals but still no power. What could the problem be?

By Jim from Allentown, PA

Answers

It has to be a power wire or a ground wire or cdi box

Our John Deere 160 riding lawn mower won't turn over. We have a new battery, and my husband put in a new starter solenoid. When he turns on the key, it just clicks. He and his friend jumped it last week so we could mow, but that didn't even work this time. Any suggestions?

By Cindy R

Answers

I have a JD 120 with the same problem. This how the JD told me to start the machine. The valves are out of alignment so on top of the engine is a round screen that spins and cools the engine when it is running. Turn the screen counterclockwise until you feel resistance then start it. When I do this most of the time the machine will start.

Other times I have to turn the screen several times until resistance and other time I turn it clockwise. Either way it is a pain.Dealer told me the JD people use a cheap Briggs and Stratton engine and sell these units to the big box stores to be competitive with the other brands. Dealer told me I should have bought the 3000 series JD mowers. He also said he could fix the valves but I would be back next year with the same problem. Hope this helps.

Why won't my tractor start? What is the spark plug gap for a John Deere L130?

By KCR from Pineville, KY

Answers

I have a John Deere LA120 with the same issues. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton with 43 hours of use. I use a Champion RC12YC gapped at .030 inches. The first year the machine started great but not so now. My machine also will not start by cranking.

So, I bought a battery booster at my local auto store to add cranking power. I also bought a new battery with more cranking power but neither helped very much. I called John Deere but they don't have a tech service. They just refer you to your local dealer for service.

I visited one dealer who told me the valves are out of alignment. I thought that was a lot of BS. I visited another dealer who told me the same story. He said valves need to be aligned but within a year you will have the same problem. He also said the engine for the LA series is a piece of junk. Briggs and Stratton hasn't made a good engine in 10 years. The LA series is a cheap machine that John Deere sells to the big box stores.

He would not take my machine in on a trade for the John Deere X series which he said was a much better machine. He did give me this advise to start the machine. Lift the hood and turn the intake screen counter clockwise until you feel resistance. It should start. I tried it and I was able to start the machine.

The last time I used the mower it would not start turning the screen counter-clock wise, so I turn it clock wise and it started. The screen is the big circular screen with all the slots in it that sits on top of the engine. When the engine is running the screen is also turning at engine speed. Hope this helps.

I have a John Deere mower with a 19.5 Briggs that won't start. It is model 31P677. It is not getting any gas from carb. I replaced the carb gasket and needle valve, pulled apart and cleaned all ports, adjusted valves in 4 ex 6, and it still won't start. Any ideas?

I have a John Deere 212 Kohler 12hp mower. I put a new switch, coil, points, and plugs and it still won't start. What can be the problem?

By Gerald

I have a L118 John Deere/22hp twin V OHV riding mower that just gives me grief every time I sit on the danged thing. When I first turn the key the fly wheel takes off as normal, but before the engine actual starts in dies down to nothing. I replaced the battery, terminals are clean, new fuel, and fuel filter. Any suggestions on what is going on?

By Robin V.

I have a John Deere La105 lawn tractor. When I turn the key it makes clicking sound, but will not turn over. I charged the battery, replaced the solenoid, and replaced the safety switch on brake/clutch rod. Last season you had to push the clutch/brake in to just the right spot in order to get it to crank. That is why I replaced the switch on clutch/brake thinking that would solve problem. It still clicks when I turn the key, but nothing happens. I unplugged the switch under seat, but still to no avail. Any other switches that need to be replaced?

By Jae W.

I am using a snow blade on the front of my riding lawn mower. It will not start. I checked the battery with a multimeter. It's fine and registers 12 volts. I have 2 new spark plugs which I rechecked the gap and it looks good. There is plenty of gas. I apply the choke and immediately smell gas so I assume that gas is getting in OK.

By Marc

I took my mower out of the garage yesterday, it wouldn't start because the battery was down so I had to boost it. I started the mower and put it on slow idle to let the battery charge. I went about my business while the battery was charging and all of a sudden I heard this loud exhaust noise like the muffler had fallen off the mower. I rushed to the mower and shut it off. I checked the exhaust and everything was fine. The problem is now it won't start and when I am trying to start it there sounds like there is an exhaust problem. This is a new mower I bought three years ago, 30 hrs on it.

By Terry C

My John Deere Sabre 14.5 Briggs and Stratton won't start. I have put in a new starter and battery and now it just makes a buzzing noise. What do I replace now?

By Jarod

I have a John Deere 185 it cranks from the key. I have replaced the starter, the starter solenoid, the key switch, and sometimes it starts and sometimes it acts as if the battery is dead and then I reconnect and start.

By Frankie

My John Deere 300A won't start. I just put a new battery in it. It won't even turn over. There are no lights and no starting sound.

By JJ

My mower has no spark at the plug. I have replaced the coil and the plug.

By Ken

I have a 1975 John Deere riding mower, 200 series, it is getting gas on the muffler and won't start. It has spark.

By Shane

I have a John Deere 400 mower and I can't get the spark plugs to spark. It turns over good, but there is no spark. I tried everything, when I shut the key off it gives one spark.

By Brad G. from Hines Creek, AB

Kohler engine on my 15hp John Deere riding mower won't start. I have replaced the battery and have a new solenoid in it, but now all it does when I turn the key is make a slight whining noise. Any ideas on what it may be? Possible starter? Also, I have checked all connections. Thanks!

By DM

The starter motor gear will not engage the flywheel when the key is turned to the start position. The gear hits the bottom of the flywheel. The motor cannot turn because the battery voltage has not been applied to the starter motor via the solenoid because the flywheel limits the solenoid travel. Releasing the key drops the starter motor gear back down and the gear turns counterclockwise a very small amount. The starter motor needs to be "bumped" as many as 15 times before the starter motor gear will mesh into the flywheel starting the engine.

By Jerry J

I replaced my battery and it started right up today. Had it going for a good hour or two, then I shut it off. After about 20 minutes, I went to go turn it back on. All I got was a clicking noise, so I tried jump starting it (which worked with the old battery), but nothing happened. I really would like to not buy another brand new battery, do what do I do to make it turn over and work?

By Bekah G.

Can anyone please tell me why a starter would spin backward? It won't start. I checked the battery, wire, and starter. There was a blown a fuse. I replaced it and noticed the starter is spinning backward.

By goldpony

Is the oil supposed to smell like gas? Anyway, it doesn't start. It seems like it's not getting gas. I changed the gas filter and added new gas. It turns over good and sometimes fires over, but won't start?

By Steve from Ashtabula, OH

I replaced the battery and my mower still needs a jump after sitting for a week. It is a John Deere L100. What could this be?

By Brian

My John Deere won't start. It has a new plug, neutral switch key switch, battery, solenoidal, and I cleaned all grounds. When I hook up the battery, I have got lights, but when I turn the key nothing happens. What do I have hooked up wrong?

By Richard

We ran our recently tuned up LX175 John Deere rider out of gas now it won't start up. I changed the fuel filter, still no luck.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix?

By Woody

My John Deere mower won't start without a little gas poured into the carb. Any suggestions?

My mower won't start. The spark plug has weak fire with an orange spark and then sparks stop while engine tries to crank.

By John A.

My John Deere LA140 ride on keeps blowing a 20amp fuse when turning the ignition on.

By Bob

I have a John Deere that will not start. I purchased a new battery and it still will not start. It will start if I put jumper cables on it.

By carol from Rapids, MI

I have about a 3 year old John Deere model 115, with a 19 HP B and S engine. It started to lose power going up my hills and then died. It would restart and run a little longer and do the same thing. I had the carburetor worked on and it worked a little better for a short time and now is worse.

It went from running to not starting. The spark is good. It is just not getting gas. If I manually push gas into the bowl it will start and run. I replaced the fuel pump to no avail. It will still not start and is getting no fuel. All the hoses to the fuel pump are fine. The gas cap's vents are open. If the valves are out of adjustment could this cause the engine vacuum to be too low to actuate the fuel pump?

By alex from Columbia, TN

Answers:

I have a John Deere LA125 that won't start. The engine turns over, but just won't start. I replaced the spark plug, but it's not getting a spark. It simply quit while I was mowing.

By Terrie from Columbia, MO

I have a John Deere la105 riding mower, about 1 year old. It won't start. When I turn the key I get one click. I charged the battery and looked for a short or loose wire, same thing. I replaced the solenoid, same thing, turn the key and just one click. I replaced the battery, same thing.

I can get it to start by directly jumping the starter with the battery, but that's the only way. It seems to me that the battery, the starter, and the solenoid are all good. I am stumped. The only mobile John Deere repair within 200 miles closed, so I have to rent a trailer and drive it an hour away! So much for my warranty.

By frankie from Merritt Island, FL

Answers:

John Deere Riding Mower Won't Start

Well, I also have a John Deere with the same problem. With a freshly charged battery I get a click when I turn the key. Sometines after I turn the key several times the mower will start. When it doesn't I hook up my battery charger, put it on boost and turn the key. With the extra boost it starts. (05/25/2010)

By Deanj

Load More