John Deere Riding Mower Won't Start

Category Lawn Mowers
You can almost hear the grass growing as you sit there trying to start up your uncooperative riding mower. This is a guide about John Deere riding mower won't start.

I was mowing on my JD 445 when I hit a stump with the front of the mower deck. The tractor immediately cut off! I disengaged the blades and then tried to start it. It is dead as a door nail. My husband checked the battery cables/fuse. All OK. What could have happened?
Thank you!

Answers

Best Answer

You sheared the keyway and flyrod.

Anonymous
Best Answer

I have had a safety switch knocked out of alignment after hitting stuff with my Deere. Worth checking out

I have a John Deere L110 lawn mower that will not start or even turn over. I replaced the spark plug and charged the battery, but still it would not make a sound. What do I do?

Answers

Best Answer

1- battery, jump it with your car
2) selinoid is shot, use screw driver to connect the 2 post to see if your getting power

Best Answer

Under the seat there is a safety switch that cuts the power if you would fall off, etc. Try unplugging it and replugging and or replacing it.

I have a John Deere LA125. I bought it new in 2009. After sitting unused in the garage for the winter (5 months) I couldn't get get it to run. The engine wouldn't turn. There was either a clicking sound when turning the key or no sound at all. I changed the spark plug - nothing. I boosted the battery and it ran. I was able to cut the lawn then turned it off. A few minutes later, I tried to start it and it wouldn't start again. I have to boost the battery each time. Any ideas?

By Mike L.

Answers

Best Answer

I bought a brand new John Deere LA120. After a few uses it would not start or I would get a click sound or it would just turn over once or twice then nothing. I thought it was the battery or an open ground causing the problem.

A newer high amp battery may not change anything. I carefully checked out all the wiring. Nothing. I asked a dealer. He said it was the valves out of alignment. I thought he was crazy. I checked with a second dealer and he said the same thing. He said they could adjust the valves but I would be back next year with the same problem.

His suggestion was to rotate the air intake counter clockwise that sat on top of the engine until I felt resistance then it should start. I rotated the air intake as he suggested and could feel the resistance and hear the cylinders and valves moving. Then it started right up. So that is how I have to start the thing every time.

Sometimes I have to turn the air intake clockwise for it to start. The air cleaner is the screen disc that sits on top of the engine and rotates when the engine is running

Best Answer

From the Service Bulletin:
John Deere 100 series
Complaint or symptom:
- nothing happens when you turn key to start position.
- solenoid clicks when you turn key to start position.
- solenoid moves but starter drive gear does not engage flywheel.
- battery and starter pass technical manual tests.
problem:
voltage drops between battery and starter solenoid.
solution:
1. install relay kit (am107421). installation instructions +(m77862)+ are provided with
kit. grease terminals with mpg2 grease (m79292).
+(2. if relay kit does not resolve, cleaning and inspection of battery posts, cables, and
electrical connection is required to elimiante voltage drop. grease connections with

mpg-2 to prevent corrosion.)+

My D130 has a new battery and it will crank, but won't start. I checked the air filter and it isn't bad. When I pulled the spark plugs they were clean and wet with gas. I don't know what else to check.

Answers

Best Answer

Plugs are not supposed to be wet with gas...Either too much fuel is coming out, or no spark. Check your fuel filter and the gaps on your plugs.

My John Deere D105 turns over, but won't crank. It's got plenty of power so it's not the battery.

I checked the carburetor, the safety, the brake, and everything else I could think of. Any ideas?

Answers

Best Answer

There is a safety switch under the seat that stops the machine from being started unless someone is sitting on it. It may be disabled. Check that first.

My John Deere D130 has no power. The hour meter works, but the lights do not. Nothing happens when the key is turned. I checked PTO, brake pedal, seat switch, and starter connections and all appear fine. It is a 2012 model and the battery is new. Any other suggestions?

Answers

Best Answer

Thank you but the problem ended up being a bad connection with the positive battery cable. The lights not working pointed to that or the key. Thanks, all is well

My John Deere lawnmower will barely turn over. I put in a new battery, starter, and solenoid! Any idea what could be the problem?

It would run fine after I got it started, but it will not turn enough to even start now!

Answers

Best Answer

Here are a few things that can cause the tractor to not start.

1. Inspect your spark plugs for signs of wear and tear. The spark plug is what ignites the air mixture and fuel in the engine's cylinder to start the tractor.
  2. You could have old or bad gas in your engine. If you have left gas in the engine it could evaporate and leave a thick substance in your engine that can clog your engine. The old gas can clog the carburetor and your engine won't strt.
  3. The last problem could be a clogged fuel filter. This also happens from bad or dirty gas.
  4. Before replacing any of these parts rain the old fuel from your fuel tank and replace it with new fuel.

I have a John Deere 135 automatic. The solenoid clicks, but it won't start. The battery is good.

By Brent

Answers

Best Answer

It sounds like you need to replace the solenoid. Jump the terminals, I'd it starts the starter solenoid is bad and needs to be replaced.

My L110 John Deere mower has no spark at the plug wire. What could be the problem?

By Tom from Marblefalls, TX

Answers

Best Answer

Ive been a small engine tech for about 20 years.
It sounds like you have a bad coil.

I have a John Deere ride on mower. The other day I got off the seat without putting it on park and it shut off and won't start. It turns over and has battery power, but won't run. It did that before and it started after a few days. What can I do?

Answers

Best Answer

Not positive(no pun intended) about tractors but ignition and computer problems where nothing is broken can many times be solved by resetting the computer system(even a rudimentary one such as the ignition chip). Most cars you can do this by crossing the battery wires. I would have said check fuses until you said it happened before and self corrected. Almost certain it just needs a computer reset. Online manuel of manuf. site would also tell you how to do it. there is usually more than one way, crossing the wires is universal. Good luck! Peace All.

I can't get my 125 John Deere riding lawn mower to fire up. It has plenty of gas and the battery is fully charged.

By MMP

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

Take a look at the ground wire - the same thing happened to my Sears Craftsman mower - somehow, the ground wire broke and the mower wouldn't start or even turn over. My son reconnected the ground wire and it's been running OK since then.

My John Deere 17.5 riding mower does not turn starter when under compression. It turns over fast when spark plug is out. Could this be faulty starter?

Answers

Swap out the starter and see if that solves your problem.

Did it just start happening or did you leave the tractor alone for a long time?

How about the fuse under the dash?

Reference: https://www.sho  uestions/1131263

Started right up this spring. Now will not start unless pulled over several times. Had sheared crank key.

I have a John Deere gt262 it has 17 horsepower motor. I was mowing one day and it just shut off like it ran out of gas. I checked and it had gas. I put a new fuel filter on it and it will only run when I have the choke fully on.

Answers

There are many reasons. You could have a bad spark plug or an electrical problem. Here is a great website from John Deere to help you: http://manuals.  142698_I014.html

thank you very much,but I couldn't find what I needed.that was an great site.

I read this advice online that might help you:

"In most cases a tractor only running with the choke pulled out indicates trash and/or contamination being present in the carburetor. If the fuel pump is failing it might would still run but only with the choke out. Normally it wouldn't run for very long like that though. With the tank being in the rear of the machine it is also possible that something has happened to the fuel hose. I would recommend inspecting the fuel hose to make sure it's not pinched or broken. A slight crack in the fuel line would have the same effect where pulling the choke out would cause it to run. Normally in that circumstance you would notice a gas leak though."

The site has a lot of suggestions and contributors. Check it out here:

https://www.sho  uestions/1211667

When cranking my John Deere 445, it will click maybe 3 or sometimes 12 times before it will crank. Any idea what it may be? I replaced the solenoid and cleaned the battery cables and still clicks.

Answers

The switch is located under the seat. Maybe you need to replace it.

Check the battery itself, it might need a full charge up or replacement

I have a John Deere 100 series lawn tractor. I started it up after a long period of inactivity. It only ran for a while, backfired loudly, shut off, and won't start again. What could be wrong?

I have a John Deere 212 Kohler 12hp mower. I put a new switch, coil, points, and plugs and it still won't start. What can be the problem?

By Gerald

Our John Deere 160 riding lawn mower won't turn over. We have a new battery, and my husband put in a new starter solenoid. When he turns on the key, it just clicks. He and his friend jumped it last week so we could mow, but that didn't even work this time. Any suggestions?

By Cindy R

Answers

I have a JD 120 with the same problem. This how the JD told me to start the machine. The valves are out of alignment so on top of the engine is a round screen that spins and cools the engine when it is running. Turn the screen counterclockwise until you feel resistance then start it. When I do this most of the time the machine will start.

Other times I have to turn the screen several times until resistance and other time I turn it clockwise. Either way it is a pain.Dealer told me the JD people use a cheap Briggs and Stratton engine and sell these units to the big box stores to be competitive with the other brands. Dealer told me I should have bought the 3000 series JD mowers. He also said he could fix the valves but I would be back next year with the same problem. Hope this helps.

I have a ride on John Deere lawn tractor and had the mower on and went to move something, so I put the parking brake on, but left the mower on. When I got off it did the emergency shut down. So I got back on and went to start it and there was a loud pop, smoke, and now it will not start. There is no clicking sound when I turn the key. Any ideas on what happened and/or how to fix it?

I have a John Deere L100 riding mower. The battery is good. I had the solenoid checked by a John Deere service center. It checked good. I replaced 3 safety switches. I put a screwdriver on the big posts of the solenoid, starter motor will activate. I turned the key and lights will come on, but nothing else. The fuse is also good. I checked the ignition switch on meter, it checked good. What else do I need to check?

I have a John Deere riding mower lt133 that just doesn't seem to want to start. I replaced the battery and solenoid and I still don't get a sound when I turn the key. I have checked every connection twice. I have checked all the fuses I could find. I am out of ideas. Does anyone have any ideas about what I should try next? Thanks for the time and help.

I have a John Deere 100 series rider mower that won't start. It only clicks. The battery has been fully charged, there is no spark.

I have a 1979 John Deere 112 riding mower. It is not getting a spark. I tried changing the plug, but it still won't fire.

I have a John Deere mower with a 19.5 Briggs that won't start. It is model 31P677. It is not getting any gas from carb. I replaced the carb gasket and needle valve, pulled apart and cleaned all ports, adjusted valves in 4 ex 6, and it still won't start. Any ideas?

I am using a snow blade on the front of my riding lawn mower. It will not start. I checked the battery with a multimeter. It's fine and registers 12 volts. I have 2 new spark plugs which I rechecked the gap and it looks good. There is plenty of gas. I apply the choke and immediately smell gas so I assume that gas is getting in OK.

By Marc

Load More