Husqvarna Riding Mower Won't Start

Category Tools
This is a guide about Husqvarna riding mower won't start. Determining whether it is a problem with fuel, spark or air when your mower won't start, can be a challenge.

I have a Husqvarna YTH 2348 mower that has spark, gas, and new gapped plugs. It fires once or twice when starting, but that is all. I even tried it with starting fluid and had the same results.

Answers

Best Answer

Did you leave gas in your mower last year? If so, it is not unusual for old gas to "gum" up and this will cause your mower to act the way you describe.
Just in case you no longer have the manual, you can check it out here: Troubleshooting starts on page 25:

http://www.husq … en_o0602064_.pdf

My son says you may have to siphon out the remaining fuel, add fresh fuel and try to start the unit. Maybe you could add a fuel stabilizer/Synthetic Fuel Additive at that time and always add something like Sta Bil when it will be weeks or months between uses. You might ask for help at an auto parts store as they sell all of these products.

My Husqvarna lawn mower won't start. I have now replaced the battery and solenoid and 20 amp fuse and still nothing when key is turned on. It shut off yesterday when my wife was cutting the grass and now is silent as a sleeping newborn baby when the key is turned on.

Answers

Best Answer

I also have a husqvarna. Make sure the mower is disengaged, and that you don't have it in reverse.

I bought a brand new Husqvarna riding mower. I used it for a month and then stored it in the storage for the winter. Now it won't start. So I used a jumper cable and it started fine, but once I turn it off it won't start unless I use the jumper cable again! Any idea what's wrong with it?

Answers

Best Answer

If your battery is good, then it is likely a failed voltage regulator. Take your battery to advance auto parts once charged fully. They will test it for free usually. (At least in Georgia.)

I have an YTH 1842 Husqvarna. When I go to engage the mower every once in awhile it doesn't turn on.

By Brian

Answers

Best Answer

Have you tried reducing keys weight on your keychain....it can make the starter stay engaged or run the starter down. You might have to disengage the blade before it will start if it is an older version.

This was from what my husband advised me when I asked him.

My mower won't start. It has new fuel and a new filter. Gas does not pass through the fuel pump. There is a spark from the spark plugs. I tried spraying starting fluid into the carb, it still does not try to start. I am stumped.

By Mike U. from NM

Answers

Best Answer

I just had the same problem. My neighbor figured out at the top of the gas cap there is a hole. It was plugged. Worked great after that.

I have a Husqvarna riding lawn mower. I have a new battery, but it wouldn't engage. I tested it by jump starting. It will run, but is not firing up.

Answers

You may need a new starter or cam shaft.

Is the battery fully charged? Are the connections tight? Is the engine flooded? Is the air filter clogged? Is there proper fuel? Fuel filter?

Reference: https://www.you  ch?v=iozo8UdyCyo

Sometimes you have to disconnect and reconnect the switch, which is located under the seat.

If you are still having trouble you can call or visit you local Husqvarna dealer and I'm sure they will help you. You can also call Husqvarna and they will help you or tell you who to call or visit in your area.

There are several good suggestion on their web site and here is something on youtube that might help.

http://husqvarn  detail/a_id/1180

http://husqvarn  /detail/a_id/254

Your fuse is blown...should be located on the right side just behind the engine and clipped onto the steering tower lower steel section. Jumping it to the starter does apply power to the fuel shutoff solenoid therefore it will not start. Replace with the same amp rating...should be 15 amp (green or yellow)

Kevin
Kevins Small Engine, 03908

I meant to say ...It does NOT provide power to the fuel shutoff solenoid when jumping direct to the starter :)

Kevin
Kevins Small Engine, 03908

My Husqvarna riding mower turns engine good, but it does not start every time. I try later and it starts and runs great. I changed the fuel filter and use new clean fuel every time. It also has a new air filter and new spark plug.

Answers

Ours did that when we first got it. We had to take it back to Lowe's and they exchanged it (it had less than an hour on it). Guy at Lowe's later called us and said they found a piece hard plastic in the fuel line that had been there since it was in the factory. So, check your fuel line.

I have a Husqvarna 42" riding mower and the fly wheel keeps spinning; it won't start. Any suggestion? Please? Thank you.

Answers

Woodruff key is broken, or bottom of carburetor needs work.

I have a Husqvarna yth1746 that I bought second hand. It will not start nor turn over. I have replaced the battery, coil, positive cable, and ignition switch. The fuse is good and the wires ohm out fine. I jumped the starter and fuel shutoff solenoid and the mower starts. However it doesn't even click over when I turn the key. I'd really like to get a step by step on what to check. I've been told that it could be the switch for the clutch, seat, or the neutral position switch. Any help I can get would be appreciated.

I have a Husqvarna rider that won't turn over with the plug in. It turns freely without it.

By Billy from Huntsville, AL

Answers

Plug is either too long, or something is going on with the head of the piston, causing it to seize.

Try switching out your carb, or you can rebuild it. Sounds like your needle is sticking.

Anonymous

Fuel cut off switch was answer for me

Sounds like you need to adjust valves!

My Husqvarna GTH2448T lawn tractor will not start. It turns over, but sounds like it is only firing on one piston (one lunger) chug-chug. I tried disconnecting the spark plug wires on both sides and it sounds the same. Any suggestions?

I was putting my Husqvarna riding mower up, it started fine, but after about 20 seconds it totally shut down. I put a new solenoid on and checked the battery; it is good. What would it be?

Answers

If your lawn mower won't start it could be one of two reasons why.

First, your carburetor could be clogged from leaving gas in the mower for an extended period of time. If stored with fuel in the engine over time the ingredients in the fuel start to evaporate and leave behind a sticker, stickier substance. You will need to clean your carburetor with a carburetor cleaner. If this doesnt work, take apart your carburetor and clean it or replace the carburetor.

Second, you could have a problem with your spark plug. Check the spark plug for signs of wear or change the spark plug.

Mine did the same and it was only two weeks old. Husquvarna found a peice of plastic in the fuel line. They replaced the mower. Check the fuel line well.

I have a Husqvarna YTH1842, it has been starting fine. But today when I turned it off to check the grass catcher and tried to start it again, it wouldn't start. I stopped several times and started it each time just fine. Now it turns over good but back fires and will not start.

I checked the plug and fuel filter, took the fuel filter off and blew through it and the gas line. I got bubbles in the tank, so that was good. I checked the air filter, have fresh gas in the tank, the plug was dry and looked good, but the gas filter was not full of fuel, should it be? I hope someone can help me with this.

By Edie

Answers

Here are some common reasons why mowers wont start: I did some research on the web for you. One reason is that you do not have all the components to make it start. It takes only 3 things to make a gasoline engine operate properly:
Fuel
Fire
Compression
Answer
Water in the gas tank! Look in the tank and see if you can see a bubble of water underneath the gas (gas floats on water).
Another thing to check is the shape of the spark plug.Is it corroded? Does it have too much of a gap between the electrodes?
Have you checked the oil? Make sure it's filled properly with the right weight oil.(usually 10w30 works,but look in the user manual,it will tell you what type your lawn mower uses.
Drain the old gas from last season and add fresh gas.The old gas can be added to your vehicles tank. If you have it over two thirds full the miniscule amount from the lawn mower will disperse and be burned off fine in your car. And after this season, buy and add a fuel stabilizer for the lawnmower so the problems don't repeat year after year.

As long as you are doing all this maintenance,check the blades for wear. If you know how to sharpen them,now's a good time,or buy a new blade and replace the old one.To sharpen an old lawnmower blade: Put it in a vise and use a large flat file and run it at the angle that's there already.File one side,then flip the blade in the vise and do the opposite side. To check for balance? Pound a nail into the side of your work bench and place the blade on it.If it hangs parallel to work bench you are done.If one side hangs lower than the other, you need to file the heavier side another time or two and recheck the blade's balance til it comes out even.

Another thing to try is spraying engine starter fluid into the spark plug hole,reinserting the plug and trying to crank the engine. Does it try to start and then die? Now you know the spark plug needs replaced or cleaned up and gapped correctly.

Also,clean the air filter if it's sponge or if it's paper replace it.Next,check the cable that operates the choke to make sure it's working correctly. Too loose and you won't get enough fuel in the carburetor, and the engine will run rough or not at all.If there's a primer button, make sure when its pressed that fuel enters the bowl of the carburetor, if it's a weak stream,then you may have a kink in the line or a blockage, or a hole. Remove the line and blow air through it to make sure it's clear and try it again.
Read more: http://wiki.ans  rt#ixzz1P9ibJTvM

My Husqvarna CZ4217 mower cable on the brake broke. Now the mower won't start. Is there a saftey that I can by pass so I can get it on a trailer to bring to the shop?

By Mike G. from Lake City, FL

I have replaced the battery and starter, but the motor turns over slowly like the battery is weak. If I pull out the plugs it turns faster. What else could be my problem?

By Luther

I have a Husqvarna lth130 riding mower with a Kohler 13hp engine. It was running fine until yesterday, when I almost ran out of gas. I'm thinking the carb is clogged with gum and junk, but I am not too knowledgeable in this field. I also read about the low oil safety switch, where is that located? I have fresh gas, and gas is flowing all the way to the carb, but looking down into the air filter I don't see any gas in the bowl? Any suggestions on what I should do next? I would appreciate everyone's help! Thanks.

By jwjbaseball1

My 2002 Husqvarna riding mower won't start or roll freely. It is a YTH1746 with Kohler CV490S Crown Series engine. It got harder to start over the last month, I'd charge the battery and it would go. Then it quit starting at all. I replaced the starter. No help. I replaced the ignition switch. No help. I ran a jumper from the battery to the starter, and the starter would spin and turn the engine, but there was no spark that way for the engine to start. If it were a fuse, it wouldn't have failed gradually.

I have no manual and don't want to start tearing it apart without some better idea of what I'm doing. Maybe it's the spark plug, but I'll have to start unscrewing things to find that. When it ran, it ran fine. Also, when I pull the lever on the back so I can push it the transmission is still locked. I can rock it a little, but that is all. What do I try next? I couldn't even get it in the truck to haul to the shop now.

Tod from Flemington, WV

Answers:

Husqvarna Riding Mower Won't Start

Sounds like the problem we had with our riding mower and it was the spark plug. (08/15/2008)

By Rae

Husqvarna Riding Mower Won't Start

Sounds like the solenoid switch. That is why you can jump it from they battery to the starter and it'll work. The solenoid cost under $15.00 (08/18/2008)

By Crystal

Husqvarna Riding Mower Won't Start

First I would take off the drive belt. It is very simple to do, that would let you know if its the motor or tranny. If it moves its the motor or electric clutch if it doesn't it's the tranny. I hear the tranny is way expensive. Hope this helps. Jim (06/07/2009)

By jdj599

I have a Husqvarna YTH1842 tractor mower. When I was mowing the other day I stopped for five minutes, then it wouldn't start. There was a lot of back fire. I changed the spark plug and the fuel filter, but that didn't help. Before the season I changed the oil for the first time. When changing the plug I think a little fuel (or carb cleaner) came out. I took off the air filter and sprayed carb cleaner in there and started a small fire. Please help.

By bfelon from Franklin, MA

Answers:

Husqvarna Riding Mower Won't Start

Check your fuel. Mowers weren't meant to run on fuels with ethanol and it's starting to cause problems in cars and small engines (especially in areas where unscrupulous fuel companies are adding more than 10% to the mix). If your fuel is left over from last year the ethanol might have attracted water into the mix. (Just so you know, the "water out" products that they sell at the auto parts store are isopropyl alcohol and nothing more.)

Aside from that, let us know what happens when you turn the key. Is it turning over and trying to start or simply doing nothing? (06/20/2009)

By Valerama