Husqvarna Riding Mower Won't Start

Category Tools
This is a guide about Husqvarna riding mower won't start. Determining whether it is a problem with fuel, spark or air when your mower won't start, can be a challenge.

I have a Husqvarna YTH 2348 mower that has spark, gas, and new gapped plugs. It fires once or twice when starting, but that is all. I even tried it with starting fluid and had the same results.

Answers

Best Answer

Did you leave gas in your mower last year? If so, it is not unusual for old gas to "gum" up and this will cause your mower to act the way you describe.
Just in case you no longer have the manual, you can check it out here: Troubleshooting starts on page 25:

http://www.husq  en_o0602064_.pdf

My son says you may have to siphon out the remaining fuel, add fresh fuel and try to start the unit. Maybe you could add a fuel stabilizer/Synthetic Fuel Additive at that time and always add something like Sta Bil when it will be weeks or months between uses. You might ask for help at an auto parts store as they sell all of these products.

My riding mower won't start. The plugs are good, fuel filter good, and it is getting fuel, but acts like it floods.

Answers

Best Answer

It sounds like you have an issue with the choke on the mower and it is flooding the carburetor. You carburetor is getting too much gas right now and that is why it is flooding. Check the fuel value and the gas filter on the mower and see if you can change these or clean them.

My Husqvarna lawn mower won't start. I have now replaced the battery and solenoid and 20 amp fuse and still nothing when key is turned on. It shut off yesterday when my wife was cutting the grass and now is silent as a sleeping newborn baby when the key is turned on.

Answers

Best Answer

I also have a husqvarna. Make sure the mower is disengaged, and that you don't have it in reverse.

My mower won't start. It has new fuel and a new filter. Gas does not pass through the fuel pump. There is a spark from the spark plugs. I tried spraying starting fluid into the carb, it still does not try to start. I am stumped.

By Mike U. from NM

Answers

Best Answer

I just had the same problem. My neighbor figured out at the top of the gas cap there is a hole. It was plugged. Worked great after that.

I bought a brand new Husqvarna riding mower. I used it for a month and then stored it in the storage for the winter. Now it won't start. So I used a jumper cable and it started fine, but once I turn it off it won't start unless I use the jumper cable again! Any idea what's wrong with it?

Answers

Best Answer

If your battery is good, then it is likely a failed voltage regulator. Take your battery to advance auto parts once charged fully. They will test it for free usually. (At least in Georgia.)

I have an YTH 1842 Husqvarna. When I go to engage the mower every once in awhile it doesn't turn on.

By Brian

Answers

Best Answer

Have you tried reducing keys weight on your keychain....it can make the starter stay engaged or run the starter down. You might have to disengage the blade before it will start if it is an older version.

This was from what my husband advised me when I asked him.

I have a Husqvarna 42" riding mower and the fly wheel keeps spinning; it won't start. Any suggestion? Please? Thank you.

Answers

Woodruff key is broken, or bottom of carburetor needs work.

I have a Husqvarna riding lawn mower. I have a new battery, but it wouldn't engage. I tested it by jump starting. It will run, but is not firing up.

Answers

You may need a new starter or cam shaft.

Is the battery fully charged? Are the connections tight? Is the engine flooded? Is the air filter clogged? Is there proper fuel? Fuel filter?

Reference: https://www.you  ch?v=iozo8UdyCyo

Sometimes you have to disconnect and reconnect the switch, which is located under the seat.

If you are still having trouble you can call or visit you local Husqvarna dealer and I'm sure they will help you. You can also call Husqvarna and they will help you or tell you who to call or visit in your area.

There are several good suggestion on their web site and here is something on youtube that might help.

http://husqvarn  detail/a_id/1180

http://husqvarn  /detail/a_id/254

Your fuse is blown...should be located on the right side just behind the engine and clipped onto the steering tower lower steel section. Jumping it to the starter does apply power to the fuel shutoff solenoid therefore it will not start. Replace with the same amp rating...should be 15 amp (green or yellow)

Kevin
Kevins Small Engine, 03908

I meant to say ...It does NOT provide power to the fuel shutoff solenoid when jumping direct to the starter :)

Kevin
Kevins Small Engine, 03908

My Husqvarna riding mower turns engine good, but it does not start every time. I try later and it starts and runs great. I changed the fuel filter and use new clean fuel every time. It also has a new air filter and new spark plug.

Answers

Ours did that when we first got it. We had to take it back to Lowe's and they exchanged it (it had less than an hour on it).

Guy at Lowe's later called us and said they found a piece hard plastic in the fuel line that had been there since it was in the factory. So, check your fuel line.

I have a Husqvarna rider that won't turn over with the plug in. It turns freely without it.

By BILLY R SEXTON from Huntsville, AL

Answers

Plug is either too long, or something is going on with the head of the piston, causing it to seize.

Try switching out your carb, or you can rebuild it. Sounds like your needle is sticking.

Anonymous

Fuel cut off switch was answer for me

Sounds like you need to adjust valves!

I have an LTH 130 Husqvarna riding lawn mower that won't start. It has clean fuel and new filters. I know the battery is bad, however if you take jumper cables and touch the starter it just sounds like it's starting, but won't catch. I am not sure what to do.

My Husqvarna won't start. It turns fine. It gets gas to the carb, but won't start. It fires up fine with a squirt of starting fluid, but dies without getting gas.

I have a Husqvarna yth1746 that I bought second hand. It will not start nor turn over. I have replaced the battery, coil, positive cable, and ignition switch. The fuse is good and the wires ohm out fine. I jumped the starter and fuel shutoff solenoid and the mower starts. However it doesn't even click over when I turn the key. I'd really like to get a step by step on what to check. I've been told that it could be the switch for the clutch, seat, or the neutral position switch. Any help I can get would be appreciated.

Answers

You might have dry bearings in the starter motor, or electrical wiring errors. Check out this super helpful forum. There are many steps you can take:

https://www.sho  uestions/1167187

I have a Husqvarna LGT2554. It's getting gas to the carb and won't start, but if I pour gas in the air intake it will fire.

My Husqvarna riding mower won't start unless I add starting fluid into it every time. Any idea what I need to check or clean to fix this? I just need a starting point.

I was running my Husqvarna lgt2554 and I heard a clicking noise so I put carburetor cleaner in it thinking it would be fine and it died this morning and it's not running. Will it dry up and start in a few days?

MY pz5426 Husqvarna has problems starting. When I turn the key 10 times it starts right up. The problem is it will not start all the time 1 out of 10 times I turn the key and nothing. I have replaced the starter, solenoid, and ignition. I even added a good heavy ground to the engine. I can hear the solenoid click, but will not engage the starter.

My Husqvarna 22v46 won't start. It makes a loud constant sound when I attempt to turn it on, but won't turn over or anything. Any suggestions?

I have a YTH1542XP mower with a Kawasaki FH430V engine. I have cleaned the carb twice. The float bowl is getting gas. The engine cranks, but will not fire unless spray into carb. The carb is removed for disassembly each time. Now I see there is a fuel shutoff solenoid. Could that cause it not to start? Next step was to replace the carburetor if not the solenoid.

My Husqvarna GTH2448T lawn tractor will not start. It turns over, but sounds like it is only firing on one piston (one lunger) chug-chug. I tried disconnecting the spark plug wires on both sides and it sounds the same. Any suggestions?

Answers

There is a switch under the seat that is a safety switch. It will only allow the tractor to start if someone is sitting on it. It has a sensor that can tell if weight is on the seat. It may be broken or disabled.

How long has it been since you used your mower? Has it been running this season? New or old fuel?

• I feel sure you know your problem could be a number of things and you may have to just check one item at a time.
  • Some things come to mind to check.
  • Solenoid ~ clean or new plugs - gas filter ~ old gas ~ water in gas ~ air filter ~ carburetor out of adjustment ~ Engine valves out of adjustment. (hopefully not this one)
  • Any one or more of the above items could cause problems with starting.

I would suggest you call your local dealer and ask someone in the service/repair shop to help you out with what problem is most common with this model.

This type of question in asked quite frequently on ThriftyFun so maybe you might read some past answers. The second link is to a download site for a manual for your mower that might have some help (check page #25).

https://www.thr  ont-Start-6.html

http://www.husq  n__532405236.pdf

I was putting my Husqvarna riding mower up, it started fine, but after about 20 seconds it totally shut down. I put a new solenoid on and checked the battery; it is good. What would it be?

Answers

If your lawn mower won't start it could be one of two reasons why.

First, your carburetor could be clogged from leaving gas in the mower for an extended period of time. If stored with fuel in the engine over time the ingredients in the fuel start to evaporate and leave behind a sticker, stickier substance. You will need to clean your carburetor with a carburetor cleaner. If this doesnt work, take apart your carburetor and clean it or replace the carburetor.

Second, you could have a problem with your spark plug. Check the spark plug for signs of wear or change the spark plug.

Mine did the same and it was only two weeks old. Husquvarna found a peice of plastic in the fuel line. They replaced the mower. Check the fuel line well.

I have a Husqvarna pz5426 riding mower. The main fuse broke off (deteriorated looking). How can I get the rest of it out, or am I gonna have to take that 3 fuse box out and replace? Also there is another place for a fuse right beside it, however it is not labeled. 25 p wiggles. Is it an auxiliary main?

It has a fully charged battery. The engine will not turn over and acts like it is locked up. The engine will turn a small amount, but not a complete rotation. Once in a while I can turn the key on and off in such a way that the engine "bounces" and starts, but it has quit doing that now. The only way I can start it now is to remove the left plug and let the motor spin a few rotations (spins freely with one plug removed) replace the plug and it starts right up and seems to run fine.

After I have mowed for an hour or so it seems to lose power, but still mows. If I drop RPM to an idle it pops a bit and if I pull the left plug wire there is no effect. (Plug not firing at idle). If I throttle up the cylinder it fires OK under load. Last year I had the dreaded bent pushrod thing and replaced both heads. I am wondering if one of the heads I bought on (eBay) was bad.

Load More