John Deere Riding Mower Keeps Stalling

Category Lawn Mowers
There could be a number of reasons for your riding mower to stall, especially if it is the first time you are using it for the season. This is a page about fixing a John Deere riding mower that keeps stalling.

My John Deere mower starts and turns off quickly. I changed the filter and plug.

By Sylvia

Answers

Best Answer

This was the fix for me. When I opened the gas cap I could hear the air being sucked in. So the next time the mower started to stall I opened the gas cap at the engine picked right back up. Thanks for saving me so much time troubleshooting and possibly wasted money!

My John Deere 150 starts for a few seconds then dies. The tractor/mower has 30 hours on it. I have changed the plugs, gas, air and gas filters, but no change. I can get it to crank successfully only by manually holding the start switch open for about 10 seconds. It runs great after that. If I turn it off for a few minutes, it will start again OK. But If I leave it over-night, the same problem returns. I don't like holding the starter switch on; afraid it may do some damage. Any thoughts on what cure may be?

Answers

Hi,

See if there is an idle screw on the carburetor. If there is, turn it to see if this affects the gas flow.

See if turning it clockwise will reduce the gas and turning the screw counterclockwise will increase the gas.

There are some other tips on this link. I hope this helps you with your John Deere.

www.fixya.com/.../t14796321-john_deere_lt150_will_not_start_cranks

I think you are right about not holding down the starter switch, because it may burn out the starter.

If none of the above helps, I would call John Deere Support at:

1-800-356-9033

Their hours are Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m to 6:00 p.m., and Saturdays hours are 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 pm. These hours are in the Central Time zone.

Blessings,

Robyn

There is a kill switch under the seat that prevents the mower from running unless someone is sitting on it. Maybe yours needs to be disconnected and reconnected to make the mower work.

30 hours is pretty new. Can you contact the store where you bought it and ask? I would not mess with it if it is still under warranty as you could invalidate the warranty.

Go right to the store or the John Deere site that one of the other posters suggested. Is it possible there is a recall? That would result in a free fix. Best wishes!! Post back what you learn!

My was also running a few minutes and shutoff. My gas cap was broken on the inside. Took it off and it ran fine. Air flow was interrupted. New cap. Wish everything was that simple.

I have a 345 with 18hp Kawasaki. It will run fine for 20 minutes and die. If I let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes it will start up and run for 20 to 25 minutes and die again, but will fire on either anytime.

By J from IL

Answers

MY PROBLEM WAS A LITTLE DIFFERENT* MY MOWER WOULD STOP DEAD AFTER ABOUT AN HOUR.I BLEW AIR THOUGH THE GAS LINE BACK TO THE TANK-ENGINE STARTED QUICKLY , BUT STALLED A WHILE LATTER . ***PROBLEM SOLVED **** I HAD OVERLOOKED A BLOCKED GAS __PUMP_(( AIR))_ FILTER ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE PUMP HOUSING (a small round filter about a half the size of a dime ). i brushed it very gently with a dry rag ,then wiped it again with just a dab of alcohol. PS. I REMEMBER SEEING THE CLEAR GAS FILTER BEING HALF FULL WHILE THE ENGINE WAS RUNNING, BUT OVERLOOKED IT, (WELL) ,(BECAUSE THE ENGINE WAS RUNNING OK ??? PS#2 AS SOON AS THE LITTLE GAS PUMP ((AIR)) FILTER WAS CLEANED, THE CLEAR GAS LINE FILTER WAS COMPLETELY FULL WHILE RUNNING ! HOPE THIS SAVES SOMEBODY SOME TIME. GOOD LUCK DENNIS in PA

You could have a dirty filter, dirty engine or a cracked head

replace the coil it is starting to fail when it gets hot

My John Deere z425 runs good without the blades engaged, but when I engage the blades it chokes down like it is starving for gas. I can turn the blades off and it runs fine. Any idea what could be causing this problem?

Answers

Have you had it serviced recently? We've had a John Deere for nearly 20 years, and we have to have them come get it and service it at least every 2 years.

I have cleaned the carburetor, changed the plugs, air filter and oil and filter. I bypassed the safety switch under the seat but that seems to be working fine.

I took the gas line off the carburetor to make sure the fuel pump was pumping good and it was.

My z255 John Deere zero turn lawn mower loses power when I engage the blades and or go up hill. I have replaced two carburetors already and it is still doing the same thing. Can someone please help me?

Thank you.

My John Deere D 100 will start then die almost immediately and after a few seconds I can start it again, but same thing happens.

Answers

You may have a clogged carburetor.

My friend had the same issues and it was a mouse gumming up the underside.they had also chewed wires causing issues. She had to take it back to the store for service.

My mower warms up, but after 20-30 minutes it begins to bog down and finally dies. I've changed the gas line, filter, and fuel pump. I also changed the air filter and it has a new spark plug.

There's new gas in tank and it has new oil. What else can be done to get it to run right?

Answers

Maybe you have an issue with the carburetor

I personally would just use their contact info on the website:

www.deere.com/.../

They are the experts in their products and can get you the right info! They can also tell if you there was a recall which may get you a free fix!!

Or if you prefer phone, this link is to help you find the nearest dealer...dealerlocator.deere.com/.../country=US?locale=en_US

I have a 2000 John Deere lx279. It starts right up, but after 10-15 mins of mowing it begins to lose power and eventually dies. I can wait 5-10 mins and it fires right back up and again 5-10 mins later it dies. It's acting like its starving for fuel. I have completed the maintenance kit, oil, filter, fuel filter, air filter, and new plugs. I noticed when I put the new plugs in it ran for several weeks without issue, but now I am having the same issue after very few hours on the new plugs. I noticed excessive corrosion on the battery and solenoid so I cleaned all the connections and again no fix. I'm wondering if a bad battery or charging system would cause it to die? It would sort of make sense if there is no juice to power the motor. I am going to load test the battery tomorrow. I have not messed with the carb yet as I don't see that being the issue as it runs fine for a period of time. As I mentioned I have gone weeks without the issue so doubt it's the carb. Anyone else had this issue with 17hp liquid cooled Kawasaki?

Answers

I had the same issue with my JD 265. I finally torqued down the nuts that hold the carb to 22 ft lbs. Problem went away. I guess there was air getting in which didn't bother it when it was cold, but once it got warm, or rev was too high, or too much pull on the engine, that gas/air ratio was off enough to kill it. Free to try anyway!

My John Deere ride on mower rides fine, but as soon as I engage the blades it stutters and stalls. It is driving me around the twist. Can anyone please help?

Last week I cut the grass and about 1/2 way thru I had to put in gas so I filled it up. About 20 minutes later it started acting like it was going to die. It was sputtering and didn't sound the same. Today I tried using it and it ran strong for about 5 minutes into cutting then started again sputtering and dying. The strange thing is it's worse when I go up a hill and if I turn off the blades it doesn't die. Any suggestions?

I have a John Deere LA110. It shuts down after 20 minutes or so. The fuel is not the problem; it is spark. I have replaced the mag and voltage regulator. it is still doing it. I am not sure where to go from here.

My John Deere LT133 starts and runs, but dies as soon as I engage the mower blades. It has a new fuel filter, air filter, and new gas. I am not sure what else to check or inspect.

Answers

There is a safety switch under the seat. It may be fairly or have some wires exposed. Fix this first.

My John Deere riding mower, LT133, stalls every time I take my foot off the clutch. I can start the mower and it will run fine for a minute or two, but then it starts to stall every time I let the clutch out. It doesn't matter if the blades are engaged or not. It also doesn't matter if it's in gear or not. As long as the clutch is pushed in the mower runs fine, but as I take my foot off the clutch the motor stalls. If I push the clutch before the mower cuts off the mower continues to run fine, but then when I take my foot off the motor cuts off. Can anyone suggest what could be wrong?

Answers

A clogged fuel line could be one of the causes. Here is an informative article homeguides.sfgate.com/riding-lawn-mower-cuts-off-clutchbrake...

My John Deere D160 stops after an hour and won't idle in any position, but rabbit, and has no power.

Answers

You can reference the trouble shoot of your manual or can be found here:
manuals.deere.com/.../?tM=

My John Deere lawn tractor shuts off after mowing for about 20 minutes and will not fire back up and run until I let it sit for awhile.

By Kenny

Answers

Mine was doing the same. Disconnect the fuel line from the carburetor and turn the start key for about five (5) seconds. Do this three (3) times. This will purge the fuel line and make sure the fuel pump is working.

Reconnect the fuel line to carburetor. Unscrew the solenoid from the bottom of the carburetor (be sure to unplug the wire first). Old fuel in the bowl will drain out. Reattach the solenoid and reconnect the wire. Pour two (2) ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in the full fuel tank. This will clean the fuel system and carburetor as it is running. If everything else (spark plug etc.) is working OK, it should start and run. There was a water bubble in my fuel line from storage. Mower ran for three (3) hours with no problems. Marvel Mystery Oil really works. Hope this helps.

My John Deere 345 lawn tractor won't stay running. We have replaced the fuel pump. I think that this was the problem, but still having issues.

By Brenda K

Answers

I had the same problem on my JD GT255. I measured the igniter ohms (from spark plug cable connector to the metal base, 14 ohms). Bought a new igniter and cable, 7 ohms, from Amazon for about 25 dollars. Problem has completely gone away. Before doing all this I had used a plug tester that showed good spark, weak spark, or no spark at various times.

Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersJanuary 4, 2017
🎂
📓
🌻