John Deere Riding Mower Keeps Stalling

Category Lawn Mowers
There could be a number of reasons for your riding mower to stall, especially if it is the first time you are using it for the season. This is a guide about fixing a John Deere riding mower that keeps stalling.

My John Deere mower starts and turns off quickly. I changed the filter and plug.

By Sylvia

Answers

Best Answer

This was the fix for me. When I opened the gas cap I could hear the air being sucked in. So the next time the mower started to stall I opened the gas cap at the engine picked right back up. Thanks for saving me so much time troubleshooting and possibly wasted money!

I have a 345 with 18hp Kawasaki. It will run fine for 20 minutes and die. If I let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes it will start up and run for 20 to 25 minutes and die again, but will fire on either anytime.

By J from IL

Answers

MY PROBLEM WAS A LITTLE DIFFERENT* MY MOWER WOULD STOP DEAD AFTER ABOUT AN HOUR.I BLEW AIR THOUGH THE GAS LINE BACK TO THE TANK-ENGINE STARTED QUICKLY , BUT STALLED A WHILE LATTER . ***PROBLEM SOLVED **** I HAD OVERLOOKED A BLOCKED GAS __PUMP_(( AIR))_ FILTER ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE PUMP HOUSING (a small round filter about a half the size of a dime ). i brushed it very gently with a dry rag ,then wiped it again with just a dab of alcohol.

PS. I REMEMBER SEEING THE CLEAR GAS FILTER BEING HALF FULL WHILE THE ENGINE WAS RUNNING, BUT OVERLOOKED IT, (WELL) ,(BECAUSE THE ENGINE WAS RUNNING OK ??? PS#2 AS SOON AS THE LITTLE GAS PUMP ((AIR)) FILTER WAS CLEANED, THE CLEAR GAS LINE FILTER WAS COMPLETELY FULL WHILE RUNNING ! HOPE THIS SAVES SOMEBODY SOME TIME. GOOD LUCK DENNIS in PA

You could have a dirty filter, dirty engine or a cracked head

replace the coil it is starting to fail when it gets hot

My mower warms up, but after 20-30 minutes it begins to bog down and finally dies. I've changed the gas line, filter, and fuel pump. I also changed the air filter and it has a new spark plug.

There's new gas in tank and it has new oil. What else can be done to get it to run right?

Answers

Maybe you have an issue with the carburetor

I personally would just use their contact info on the website:

www.deere.com/.../

They are the experts in their products and can get you the right info! They can also tell if you there was a recall which may get you a free fix!!

Or if you prefer phone, this link is to help you find the nearest dealer...dealerlocator.deere.com/.../country=US?locale=en_US

My John Deere D160 stops after an hour and won't idle in any position, but rabbit, and has no power.

Answers

You can reference the trouble shoot of your manual or can be found here:

manuals.deere.com/.../?tM=

I have a 2000 John Deere lx279. It starts right up, but after 10-15 mins of mowing it begins to lose power and eventually dies. I can wait 5-10 mins and it fires right back up and again 5-10 mins later it dies. It's acting like its starving for fuel. I have completed the maintenance kit, oil, filter, fuel filter, air filter, and new plugs. I noticed when I put the new plugs in it ran for several weeks without issue, but now I am having the same issue after very few hours on the new plugs. I noticed excessive corrosion on the battery and solenoid so I cleaned all the connections and again no fix. I'm wondering if a bad battery or charging system would cause it to die? It would sort of make sense if there is no juice to power the motor. I am going to load test the battery tomorrow. I have not messed with the carb yet as I don't see that being the issue as it runs fine for a period of time. As I mentioned I have gone weeks without the issue so doubt it's the carb. Anyone else had this issue with 17hp liquid cooled Kawasaki?

Answers

I had the same issue with my JD 265. I finally torqued down the nuts that hold the carb to 22 ft lbs. Problem went away. I guess there was air getting in which didn't bother it when it was cold, but once it got warm, or rev was too high, or too much pull on the engine, that gas/air ratio was off enough to kill it.

Free to try anyway!

My John Deere lawn tractor shuts off after mowing for about 20 minutes and will not fire back up and run until I let it sit for awhile.

By Kenny

Answers

Mine was doing the same. Disconnect the fuel line from the carburetor and turn the start key for about five (5) seconds. Do this three (3) times. This will purge the fuel line and make sure the fuel pump is working.

Reconnect the fuel line to carburetor. Unscrew the solenoid from the bottom of the carburetor (be sure to unplug the wire first). Old fuel in the bowl will drain out. Reattach the solenoid and reconnect the wire. Pour two (2) ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in the full fuel tank. This will clean the fuel system and carburetor as it is running. If everything else (spark plug etc.) is working OK, it should start and run. There was a water bubble in my fuel line from storage. Mower ran for three (3) hours with no problems. Marvel Mystery Oil really works. Hope this helps.

My John Deere 345 lawn tractor won't stay running. We have replaced the fuel pump. I think that this was the problem, but still having issues.

By Brenda K

Answers

I had the same problem on my JD GT255. I measured the igniter ohms (from spark plug cable connector to the metal base, 14 ohms). Bought a new igniter and cable, 7 ohms, from Amazon for about 25 dollars. Problem has completely gone away. Before doing all this I had used a plug tester that showed good spark, weak spark, or no spark at various times.