John Deere Riding Mower Keeps Stalling

Category Lawn Mowers
There could be a number of reasons for your riding mower to stall, especially if it is the first time you are using it for the season. This is a guide about fixing a John Deere riding mower that keeps stalling.

My John Deere mower starts and turns off quickly. I changed the filter and plug.

By Sylvia

Answers

Best Answer

This was the fix for me. When I opened the gas cap I could hear the air being sucked in. So the next time the mower started to stall I opened the gas cap at the engine picked right back up. Thanks for saving me so much time troubleshooting and possibly wasted money!

I have a 2000 John Deere lx279. It starts right up, but after 10-15 mins of mowing it begins to lose power and eventually dies. I can wait 5-10 mins and it fires right back up and again 5-10 mins later it dies. It's acting like its starving for fuel. I have completed the maintenance kit, oil, filter, fuel filter, air filter, and new plugs. I noticed when I put the new plugs in it ran for several weeks without issue, but now I am having the same issue after very few hours on the new plugs. I noticed excessive corrosion on the battery and solenoid so I cleaned all the connections and again no fix. I'm wondering if a bad battery or charging system would cause it to die? It would sort of make sense if there is no juice to power the motor. I am going to load test the battery tomorrow. I have not messed with the carb yet as I don't see that being the issue as it runs fine for a period of time. As I mentioned I have gone weeks without the issue so doubt it's the carb. Anyone else had this issue with 17hp liquid cooled Kawasaki?

Answers

I had the same issue with my JD 265. I finally torqued down the nuts that hold the carb to 22 ft lbs. Problem went away. I guess there was air getting in which didn't bother it when it was cold, but once it got warm, or rev was too high, or too much pull on the engine, that gas/air ratio was off enough to kill it. Free to try anyway!

My John Deere lawn tractor shuts off after mowing for about 20 minutes and will not fire back up and run until I let it sit for awhile.

By Kenny

Answers

Mine was doing the same. Disconnect the fuel line from the carburetor and turn the start key for about five (5) seconds. Do this three (3) times. This will purge the fuel line and make sure the fuel pump is working.

Reconnect the fuel line to carburetor. Unscrew the solenoid from the bottom of the carburetor (be sure to unplug the wire first). Old fuel in the bowl will drain out. Reattach the solenoid and reconnect the wire. Pour two (2) ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in the full fuel tank. This will clean the fuel system and carburetor as it is running. If everything else (spark plug etc.) is working OK, it should start and run. There was a water bubble in my fuel line from storage. Mower ran for three (3) hours with no problems. Marvel Mystery Oil really works. Hope this helps.

My John Deere 345 lawn tractor won't stay running. We have replaced the fuel pump. I think that this was the problem, but still having issues.

By Brenda K

Answers

I had the same problem on my JD GT255. I measured the igniter ohms (from spark plug cable connector to the metal base, 14 ohms). Bought a new igniter and cable, 7 ohms, from Amazon for about 25 dollars. Problem has completely gone away. Before doing all this I had used a plug tester that showed good spark, weak spark, or no spark at various times.

I have a 345 with 18hp Kawasaki. It will run fine for 20 minutes and die. If I let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes it will start up and run for 20 to 25 minutes and die again, but will fire on either anytime.

By J from IL