Toro Riding Mower Won't Start

Category Lawn Mowers
It is exceedingly frustrating to get set to mow the lawn and have your mower refuse to start. This page addresses the possible reasons why your Toro riding mower won't start.

My 4 month old Toro riding mower died. It clicks when I turn the key, but the engine does not turn over. The gas is good. I jumped the battery with the same result. I put a trickle charger on it for 8 hours. Still the same. I think it is the solenoid or starter. How do I verify which? (or neither)

Answers

Best Answer

There is a safety switch under the seat that prevents the motor from starting unless someone is sitting on it. It may be disabled or broken. I would start by looking at that.

Best Answer

I would start with the lawnmower's safety switch under the seat. If the switch is engaged and set, then go to the starter. This should be an issue with the starter. Are you able to use a screwdriver and jump start the mower this way. Short out the solenoids and see if it will start.

Best Answer

If you hear a click, the starter solenoid (relay ) is operating.... The problem most likely is the starter.... But it could be the cable from the starter solenoid to the starter ( though not likely) or it could be the solenoid broken....again not likely....

Sometimes the starter drive pinion will stick in the flywheel and then the starter doesn't have the power to crank the engine. The starter motor must be spinning when the starter engages the flywheel. If the starter drive pinion is stuck in the flywheel it can be released by rotating the engine back and forth, by hand, a few degrees to relieve the bind in the starter.

I have a Toro Wheel Horse riding mower. I started it and pulled the choke up all the way really fast and now it will not start at all. I have replaced the battery but when I tried to start it, it just smoked. Then I thought it was flooded so I took the spark plug out and put it back in and then it just did not make any noise. Now I am trying to find out what is wrong with it.

By kyle from Williamstown, PA

Answers

Best Answer

You flooded the mower. Leave it set awhile open the throttle wide open; don't continue to choke. This will open the butterfly valve to let more air in and clear it.

Best Answer

Don't pull the choke out all the way or the same thing will happen again from flooded motor. Good Luck!

Best Answer

If it smoked when you turned the key on and now nothing at all you'll probably find a blown 12 system fuse hid somewhere where you cant see it. if it is a blown fuse you have a direct short on the 12 volt line somewhere. When you find your short your mower will probably be fine then. Hope I could help if you need help finding the short list what model mower it is and ill try to find schematics for it on line and maybe make a couple suggestions.

I have spark, I can smell the fuel, it appears to have compression, but still won't start. There is a new battery, it turns over with good power, but won't start.

What else should I check?

Answers

Best Answer

Check your flywheel key.

I have a Toro LX500 riding mower. My problem is that it won't start. When I turn the key, the top of the starter spins up and turns the flywheel just a little and then stops. Sometimes the top of the starter doesn't spin back down. It has a brand new, fully charged battery. I've had the starter off and if I jump the starter it spins just fine off the tractor. Do I need a new starter? I will gladly try any suggestion that someone has.

By Kassie

Answers

Best Answer

I have a Troy Bilt Pony 17.5 hp and it does the same thing. I took out the sparkplug and turned it over and discharged the gas from the cylinder. I got it too fire up and run but it did the same thing the next time I tried to start it.

It floods and the compression is too high and won't let it turn over. I am trying to find out the reason why also. Any help would be appreciated.

My Toro 17-38 axle worked fine til I ran out of fuel. I cleaned the dirty fuel tank and replaced the fuel filter. Per other comments, I turned the air vent on top of the motor counterclockwise 2.5 turns to see fuel sloshing in the air in take? On starting the air vent spins about .5 - 1 turn then stops with a clunk. Further start attempts just give a click sound, unless I turn the vent counerclockwise again. I would appreciate advice.
Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

Here are a few things you can try:

1. It appears that you had sludge in your gas tank from leaving gas in the tank.
  2. Ad

3. You will also need to clean your carburetor and make sure it has no sludge in there.
  4. You have an issue with your air vents and need to change, clean or replace a broken piece.
  5. If you need some further assistance there is a great forum you can visit. Many people there help each other out with issues such as yours. www.mytractorforum.com/.../59397-anybody-into-old-reel-mowers...
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersAugust 7, 2019
😎
📓
🌻
🐛