Repairing a Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower

Category Lawn Mowers
Many lawn mower repairs can be done by the homeowner. Diagnosing the problem will help you decide when your mower needs professional help. This is a page about repairing a Troy-Bilt riding lawn mower.

I have a Troy-Bilt riding mower that I can't start. I have a new battery and have checked all the safety switches, but I can't get it to crank over. My question is where do I go next?

Answers

I would check the spark plugs, the fuel lines and the carburetor

Their website has a live chat. www.troybilt.com/.../ownercenter

I am one to go to the horse's mouth so to speak and don't monkey around will nilly because I make things worse.

If you are handy, hopefully they can get you to their troubleshooting protocols and right to the issue!

Let us know what you learn!!

I just wanted to link to a few youtube tutorials:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZFvFEZvw_E - one guy discovered that his fuel jet was blocked and that it needed to be cleared out with an air compressor.

here's another bloke and how to get it started when it gives problems www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9z8tsbNUKo

Anonymous

Its a Troy. They are not good mowers!

I was mowiing when the mower shut down.Troy Bilt Ryder 17.5 engine.I have I have replaced spark plug & cleaned the carburator new gas new air filter and still want start. I beginning to think it's junk

Anonymous

Had my trot since 2003never a problem just have backfire now probably easy fix love my troy

I hit a rock that stalled the motor. It won't restart. It's totally dead. There is no electrical power to the starter.

Answers

Please check these things:

1. If you've hit a rock there is something jammed in the blades of the mower. It needs to be removed and see if your blades can turn freely.
  2. Ad

3. Normally there is a cut off switch on the mower when something like this happens. Find the switch and reset the switch.
  4. Try checking under the mower and in the engine if there is any debris from the rock that you hit that might block the motor or blades from moving freely.
  5. If none of this work, please ask one of the many experts about mowers here: http://www.mytr  reel-mowers.html

Why would a CVT Troy-bilt lawn mower with a 7 speed control lever not have any change in speed when the lever is shifted? The lawn mower is 15.5 hp motor and is only 3 years old.

Answers

The assembly lever may need to be replaced. If you are handy, you can do it yourself. Here is a YouTube m.youtube.com/watch?v=GnVlcInjExA video

I was mowing yesterday, disengaged the blade, tried to back up and it kept trying to cut off on me. I ended up just cutting it off and now it will not start. The battery is fine and the belt is fine.

I tried pushing the lever up and down a few times possibly thinking maybe the blade wasn't fully disengaged, but nothing is working. Any suggestions?

Answers

You might have blown a fuse. Other reasons are here www.hunker.com/.../how-to-troubleshoot-a-troy-bilt-riding...

Is it possible you have mouse or critter nest (or remnants) that are in the undercarriage? Sometimes they gum up the works and the machine cuts out. They also may have chewed wires and you are experiencing it shorting out...works when the wires touch, cuts when they don't.

My TB30R is 3 years old and up to now has run perfectly. The last time I cut grass, on level ground, it kept jumping up to the next higher gear. Any ideas? Everything else works just fine.

Answers

There is a nut that will line up with the bracket and allow you to shift gears. Yours may need an adjustment. There is an article that says how here. www.justanswer.com/.../3tgfp-troy-bilt-pony-seems-jump-gear...

You may want to chat with or call their customer service owners center at: www.troybilt.com/.../ownercenter

They are the experts and can give you the best and safest answer! Learn from my mistakes and don't monkey around with expensive stuff and crowd sourced info! You end up making a big mess sometimes and costing yourself more money than if you had just talked to an expert first!

Wishing you happy mowing!!

The lever to engage the blade on my Troy Pony riding mower doesn't work.

Answers

You may need to replace the blade clutch cable. Instructions are here www.searspartsdirect.com/.../how-to-replace-a-blade-clutch-cable...

I have a Troybilt zero turn mower. When I back up and then go forward again my blades have now just started this where they either take a very long time to engage or not at all. They engage just fine if I am only going forward. Any ideas?

Answers

It sounds like a transmission issue to me. You probably will need servicing.

My Troy Bilt Pony won't run unless I hold my hand over the intake where the air filter is. Please help.

Answers

You are getting too much air into the mower, which is why you need to put your hand over the air filter. Check the carburetor.

After hitting a metal pipe in the ground with my mower the motor cuts off when engaging the blade and steering is difficult.

Answers

You will have to take the mower apart and see which part got bent out of shape. That is what is preventing your mower from working.

My tractor dies when engaging the blades.

Answers

You need to check the pulley, the belt and the switch.

I have a 2012 Troy Bilt Pony rider and am wondering why forward and reverse do not engage right away, but after several seconds it begins to move. Any suggestions?

Answers

The drivetrain may be slipping.

I used my Troy-Bilt riding mower to cut the grass and mulch some leaves that covered most of the lawn today. I tried to keep debris off the top of the mower deck as well as I could, but lo and behold, there was plenty that had gathered there by the time I took a break and blew the mower off with my leaf blower. When I tried to start the mower again, all I get is some clicking.

Any suggestions as to what to check to get this mower running again? Thank you!

Answers

Here are a few things you can check:

• Clicking normally means that you aren't getting a contact from the battery and spark plugs to start the engine.
  • Check you battery and make sure it is fully charged.
  • Check the spark plugs and make sure they don't need replacing.
  • Clean out the carburetor and make sure there is no debris in the there.

I have a 2008 Pony Troy-Bilt riding lawn mower. I have changed the oil, air filter, and spark plug. It ran and sputtered and then died. Now it will not start. What can it be?

Answers

Check the gas line filter.

How do I assemble the deck belt and springs on a Troy Built riding lawn mower?

By JB from Altha, FL

I have a Troy Bilt riding mower model 1842. It runs full speed, but when I try to engage pto engine starts to pop and roll blue smoke.

By Steve from Lugoff, SC

I have a Troy-bilt riding lawnmower. For some reason the starter overheated and melted the green wire. Now the mower will not start. Do I need to replace my starter?

By Javier from Fort Myers, FL

This is a page about removing the rear wheel on a Troy-Bilt mower. When making repairs to your lawn mower, you may need to check out the many videos on YouTube if you don't have a manual that contains repair help.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersApril 26, 2014
🌻
🎂
📓