Murray Riding Lawnmower Won't Start

Category Lawn Mowers
Troubleshooting a non-starting riding mower can be a process. This is a guide about Murray riding lawnmower won't start.

I have a Murray 42 inch/14.5 hp tractor riding mower. I replaced the battery and spark plug, but still will not start.

By Nathaniel Morris from Bossier City, LA

Answers

Best Answer

Hi you have to check the safety switch and the stater solenoid. Sometimes is the safety switch is not sending the signal to start or the starter solenoid is bad. Let me know if that works.

My Murray 12/38 riding lawn mower won't crank over. It has a new battery and solenoid? Help?

Answers

Best Answer

Check the fuse under the seat for the safety switch(that makes the mower cut off if you get off the seat) I think mine was a blue fuse.

I have model#42514XBA. It has a new battery, but won't turn over and there is no clicking? What could be the problem?

By Cathy from Starke, FL

Answers

Best Answer

Check the fuse connection under the seat, it is for the seat safety switch. It may have became disconnected or blew the fuse.

I need someone to explain how to "jump" to determine if my cables, solenoid, switch, and starter are working on my Murray riding mower #42516x92.

By Hunter from Seattle, WA

Answers

Best Answer

Check your safety switch from the clutch it's not going all the way in have to make sure it's all the way in I try everything and did this it started right away

I have a Murray mower, model 42515. The battery is dead and my wife hooked up the jumper cables in reverse polarity. The starter turned over for a second and when I switched cables I get nothing.

Answers

Make sure your battery can hold a charge.

Step 1
Put it on the battery charger.

Step 2
Follow the negative cable to the chassis on the mower.

Step 3
Remove the bolt holding the negative cable.

Step 4
Sand the area around the bolt hole until shiny metal is visible.

Step 5
Put a layer of oil on the metal and end of cable.

Step 6
Attach the cable back to the chassis using a new bolt.

Step 7
Make sure connection is tight.

Here is the link to help you fix it:

https://www.ifi  ower+is+stopped.

Reversing the cables and starting the mower has damaged your starter now. You will need to fix the starter on your mower and also change your battery. I think you were lucky if this didn't damage anything else on the mower. It sounds like it has only damaged your starter and battery.

Thanks it blew a fuse

I found a fuse and it was blown replaced and all is working

I have a Murray mower (model 46621X92C) with an 18hp 2 cyl Briggs and Stratton engine. I picked up grass clippings and it was running well. I turned it off and took my leaf blower and blew off the grass. When I tried to start it, the engine cranked, but would not start.

I checked and found that I was not getting a spark to the plugs. I tried several things and the engine would crank, but not start. Then the engine would not crank any more. The battery is good and the starter is good. I replaced the ignition switch. I could not find a broken or lose wire. All the switches seem to be working. If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate them. I am at a loss on what to do. Thanks.

Answers

You can check your spark plug to make sure it isnt dirty or loose. Also check to see if there is any debris on your spark plug. Replace your spark plug and make sure it is tight. Also check your fuel line and make sure the fuel is reaching your engine. You can try tapping the side of your carburetor to make sure the fuel is getting in.

My son says it can sometimes be the solenoid. Check out this video and also check answers from past postings with this problem from ThriftyFun.

https://www.you  ch?v=HKI7qI7iIBE

http://www.thri  4931965.tip.html

If the battery and the spark plugs are good, the next thing to check is the solenoid.

I have a 30" Murray 13AC26DJ058 rear lawnmower that will not start or even make a sound when trying to start.

Answers

First carefully make sure you have no nests in the mower gumming up the works. These can cause havoc with mowers...esp mice and wasps. If it is clean, oiled and gassed up, call the company for trouble shooting tips:

murray.myfaqcenter.com/.../?p_faqid=3004

Be sure to find out if there are recalls just in case!

Let us know what you find!

You may need a new starter

I have a Murray 14.5 hp 42" cut mower. It will start with the deck off, but won't with it on. What can be the problem? Thanks in advance.

Answers

May have a neutral safety switch. You might have to reference or download the manual.

Someone with the same problem as you on a mowing site changed out their magneto coil and their problem was solved. Here are the directions:

First off, there was a recall on those mowers due to leaking gas tank. For that check check on here. Now lets assume this got fixed;-) You need at least three things for the mower to start. Fuel, air, and a spark. Check for gas, clogged filters and collapsed lines. Check your carburetor, make sure your float is working right and that your needle valve is clean. Check all the lines for leaks and proper connection. If you are sure you do not have spark, then disconnect the Shut Off Wire at the Control Bracket and then check for spark at the Plug. If there is still no spark at the Plug, disconnect the Shut Off Wire at the Coil and check for spark. If you should still not have a spark, it is possible that your coil/or the ignition module is Bad. You can check and see that the Coil/Ign Module to flywheel gap is .020in. If you get spark at the Plug anytime during these checks, then a Safety Switch or Wire May be the Problem. The engine will turn over with a bad safety switch but will not fire. There should also be a blade safety switch, that you do not want to forget to check as well as the seat safety switch. To really isolate what is going on, I would disconnect the safety switches, bridge the wires. That way, you should be left with just the ignition circuit. If you now get spark, you know that it is one of the safety switches. reconnect one at a time and see which one causes the failure. Replace the safety switch. DO NOT OPERATE THE EQUIPMENT WITHOUT THE SAFETY FEATURES. Check the electrical diagram and see if that will help you further along. Good Luck and let us know how it is going.

I have a Murray riding lawn mower with a 12hp Tecumseh engine. The engine cranks just fine, I have spark after replacing the coil and plug, I also have fuel after cleaning the carb and the tank and cleaning the fuel filter. My only thought after that is compression, but there is a good amount of air coming out of the muffler when the exhaust stroke comes around. But it just wont start, is there any way to time those engines or anything or what am I missing?

Answers

It probably needs a valve job.

Did you change the air filter?

My riding lawn mower, a Murray model 40504x92, was running just fine and suddenly while mowing one day just stopped and won't start. I replaced the battery since it wouldn't charge up thinking this was the issue, but no luck. I tested the new battery and it's holding its charge at 12 volts. However, I am getting no volts on any of the wires on the solenoid when I turn the key. I do get a whine like the mower is trying to turn over. I don't know if this means if a safety switch is bad or the entire ignition is bad or I need a new solenoid. Please help. I am a woman trying to figure out how to fix something I shouldn't be fixing lol.

Answers

Does yours have the safety feature that it will not start if you are not on the mower or it will stop if you get off while it is running? If so, check that. It happened to ours years ago. It was located under the seat.

My Murray riding mower turns over, but will not start. I have spark and it seems to be getting fuel. I poured fuel into the carb and it still would not start. Any suggestions?

Answers

There is a switch under the seat that detects if someone is sitting on it. The machine won't start if there is no one on it, a safety feature. Yours may be broken or disabled

Everything is working except the air that would come out of the engine is not coming out. Why is that?

Answers

I would check the exhaust muffler. There should be a screen that is for a spark arrestor. It's a safety feature to prevent fires. Unscrew the screen from the muffler. 2 screws. Wire brush the holes clean. When the screen holes are plugged the mower won't start.

I have a 11.5 hp Murray riding mower, model number 387000x92a. The starter, carburetor, and fuel filter were recently replaced. I cut 90 recent of the yard when the mower went through high grass and cut off. When I tried to restart it makes a spinning sound, but will not start. It made the sound earlier when I ran out of gas, but I got it started. I have a Tecumseh engine. What is the problem with this riding lawnmower?

Answers

Did you check and clean the spark plug? Sometimes a little dirt/grass can prevent it from starting. That happened to my own one time. It started right up afterward.

I just replaced the battery. When I try to start it, it will not start. I have to hook the charger up to it and then it will start. Any solution?

By Rick H

Answers

Anonymous

The valves need adjusting.

My Murray 17/42 Ultra riding lawn mower with a 17hp, ohv industrial Tecumseh engine needs gas poured directly into the carburetor for it to start. Once it fires up, it runs fine, but even after I let it run for a few minutes I have to take off the air filter and do it all over again.

Suggestions on what I need to do to fix it? I got it on trade and the guy said he was told it would cost like $40 to fix, if he took it to a shop, but there aren't any shops near here that I can take it too. I don't mind changing parts, but I have never had a Tecumseh engine before. I don't know where to even start.

By Bill L

Answers

I have the same problem with my mower did you ever figure this out?

My Murray riding mower will not start even with new battery, plug, and blades. What else can I do?

By chris mansfield from Gibsonville, NC

Answers

Does it make any noise at all like it's trying to start?

I have a Murray riding lawn mower. I changed the in line filter and it still won't start. I put some gas in the carburetor and it wants to crank, but shuts off. I need some advise please!

By Dustin M.

I was driving my mower to the lawn. It went bang, stopped, and now won't start.

By Helen

I have a sit down mower Briggs and Stratton 875 series. I try turning it on, it cranks up like it wants to start, but it is not starting. Do I need to get a new battery or it could it be charged up?

By Richie from Port Saint Lucie, FL

I have a Murray with a 17hp Briggs twin. It won't start. It has a good battery, good blue spark, and cranks fine, but doesn't want to turn over. I cleaned the carb, poured gas and starting fluid into the carb and still it doesn't try to start. Maybe bad plugs?

By Tony

I have a Murry 17hp riding mower. I was cutting the grass, hit a stick and it stuck between the mower deck and blade. The engine stopped abruptly. Now it will not start. It is getting gas, turns over freely, but there is no fire on plugs.

By Larry

My mower has new solenoid, new ignition switch, and a new spark plug. I cleaned the carb, battery and charged it. The motor spins, but won't start what do I do?

By Steve T.

My Murray rider mower will not start. I bought a new battery and still had to jump off. What else can I try?

By cg

My lawn mower won't start without the choke on.

By Joseph

Load More