Riding Lawnmower Will Not Shift Gears?

I have a Craftsman DYT4000 riding mower. I just replaced the deck and drive belts on my mower. I went to test the mower. I started the mower and pressed the brake pedal and put it in reverse. The mower shifter locked in reverse at this point with the brake pedal pressed I could not shift out of reverse. I let off the brake pedal and started moving in reverse. While moving I was able to shift to neutral or any other gear. At this point if I pressed the brake pedal in I was not able to shift out of that gear, except if I was in neutral to begin with. Any suggestions on a fix would be great.

Answers

From reading this, it seems that you need a rod adjustment www.doityourself.com/.../500304-craftsman-mower-wont-shift...

Hard or not possible to swap gears only while running and the brake pedal is pressed. I just did a rod adjustment today and it seems to help out but is definitely still hard to shift if you have the brake pressed all the way in. If you don't press the brake you can freely shift while moving. Thanks

Answer this Question

15 More Questions

I have a Murray 38 in. manual transmission riding mower and it is missing a piece that changes the gears. Do I have to keep my foot on the clutch the whole time to control how fast it goes?

What part do I need and how do I fix it?

Answer this Question

I was driving my Murray riding lawnmower. While mowing I hit the back wheel on something making the tire come off the rim. I had to take the tire off to re-inflate it and after I got it back on and put back together I could still get it to run, but it wouldn't shift at all.

Any ideas on what might have gotten knocked loose or something I need to do differently to make it work again?

Answers

Maybe the bolt that holds the shifter linkage got damaged or knocked out of place.

I have a Poulan riding lawn mower. Why is it not going into gear?

Answers

I think the drive belt is broke or the transmission is bad.

Anonymous

The other gears 1,2, 3, 4, 5 all work

I have a John Deere riding lawnmower it was fine last week when I mowed now I can't get it to move once in gear

Answer this Question

My riding lawnmower is stuck in first gear. What could be the problem?

By Amie from MO

Answers

If you lived in the San Antonio or Bandera Texas area, ProService could help you. If not, check your local Yellow Pages under Small Engine Repair. You should be able to locate someone who can repair your mower for you. Or, check with a local car repair shop, if you can't locate a lawn mower service, and any of their technicians should be able to work on it for you. You have a transmission problem, which is not a 'do it yourself' project for a non-mechanical repair person.

Anonymous

Obvious its a transmission problem but question what could cause the transmission to be stuck in first gear?
We all know where to start to get it fixed

I just put a motion belt on a Murray 12/38 model # 38608x92a. Now that the belt is on it still acts as if it's in neutral, on or off.

Am I missing a way that the transaxle can be disengaged? Because even when it's off and in gear it moves as if it's in neutral.

I have a John Deere mower (used). I was mowing and did pay attention to how close I was to my stair. Apparently I hit it and now the mower won't shift into gear? Any suggestions as to how or what to do? I am no repair person, but can do some basic stuff or YouTube ideas? Also the brakes suck and I was wondering if they can be tightened or adjusted?

I have a Murray 40 inch mower 40507x8c. The shifter is very difficult to move. It will move, but only by applying a lot of force, which I fear will cause further damage. I am thinking low on gear grease or fluid, but I know nothing about them. Can someone help on this? I cannot afford a new transaxle or a new mower, but with my automotive knowledge I should be able to repair it.

Thank you for any responses.

Answers

Make sure the drive line belt is on properly.

Talk it through with one of their experts:

murray.myfaqcenter.com/.../?p_faqid=3004

They know their products best and hopefully will get you up and running quickly!! Post back what you learn!

Answer this Question

I have a 17.5 hp Troybilt riding lawn mower that is only a couple of months old. I started to cut grass today and it would not go into gear. Help!

Answers

Dont do anything other than lubricating it or you may void the warranty. Take it back for servicing

Yikes!! Please don't monkey with it and call where you bought it or the company or you will risk voiding your warranty.

The contact info for the company is www.troybilt.com/.../ownercenter

It could be a super simple fix, but don't do anything until you hear from the experts or take it back to the store.

Let us know what they say. Be sure to ask about recalls too...just in case!!

Answer this Question

My husband used our ride on lawn mower for two days in a row. Then it wouldn't shift out of neutral Does it seem as though the transmission is shot? We were given the mower, it isn't new.

Rae Ann from Templeton, CA

Answers

By bonnie (Guest Post)

Possible clutch or linkage, so it is not ready for the dump yet.

A buddy had a john deere rider that was doing the same thing. I found the drive belt from engine to tranny was broken was all and the belt on this thing was hidden, so it wasn't a obvious fix. Hope this is useful.

Answer this Question

I have a 70s Simplicity lawn mower. When it is off I can shift gears, but as soon as I engage the clutch I can move to first, but that's all.

I have an older model Poulan 16 horse mower. It has a gear shift handle which will not move at all. I tried to shift it and it's stuck.

I took the handle off and lubed it up and it is just as frozen as before.

Answers

Try to purge the transaxle.
Instructions are here: www.ifixit.com/.../Mower+is+stuck+in+neutral+gear

Answer this Question

I have a Bolens 600 series lawn tractor. I can't get my tractor to switch out of drive. It was working, but now seems to be stuck in drive.

This tractor is old so I have not found any info to help diagnose or fix this yet. Still fishing for info.

Answers

This could be a problem with your brake disc. They could be rusted and therefore your pads are stuck. You can try spraying WD 40 on the brake disc and rock the tractor back and forth. If this isn't helping, loosen the adjustment on the break disc. Tap on the caliper level with a hammer to free up the break disc. When doing this make sure your parking break isn't set.

Answer this Question

We have been having trouble with the gears on this unit and have been told this is a common fault and not worth repairing; is this correct?

By Tony F

Answers

no its not true- thats bull - check brake and belts -

Answer this Question

I was cutting all day with my ride on lawnmower. I stopped and when I started it again and tried to put into gear it will not go into reverse or forward.

By Patrick

Answer this Question

I own a 2010 Troybilt 17.5hp Pony riding mower. I can't shift out of first.

By waynedillon

Answer this Question
Home and Garden Repair Farm VehiclesSeptember 5, 2013
👒
🐛
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf53447531.tip.html