Riding Lawnmower Will Not Shift Gears

Category Farm Vehicles
Riding lawnmower maintenance is important. This guide contains suggestions for when a riding lawnmower will not shift gears.

I have a Poulan riding lawn mower. Why is it not going into gear?

Answers

I think the drive belt is broke or the transmission is bad.

Anonymous

The other gears 1,2, 3, 4, 5 all work

I have a John Deere riding lawnmower it was fine last week when I mowed now I can't get it to move once in gear

I was driving my Murray riding lawnmower. While mowing I hit the back wheel on something making the tire come off the rim. I had to take the tire off to re-inflate it and after I got it back on and put back together I could still get it to run, but it wouldn't shift at all. Any ideas on what might have gotten knocked loose or something I need to do differently to make it work again?

Answers

Maybe the bolt that holds the shifter linkage got damaged or knocked out of place.

How would I check this bolt linkage?

My husband used our ride on lawn mower for two days in a row. Then it wouldn't shift out of neutral Does it seem as though the transmission is shot? We were given the mower, it isn't new.

Rae Ann from Templeton, CA

Answers

By bonnie (Guest Post)

Possible clutch or linkage, so it is not ready for the dump yet.

A buddy had a john deere rider that was doing the same thing. I found the drive belt from engine to tranny was broken was all and the belt on this thing was hidden, so it wasn't a obvious fix. Hope this is useful.

I have an older model Poulan 16 horse mower. It has a gear shift handle which will not move at all. I tried to shift it and it's stuck. I took the handle off and lubed it up and it is just as frozen as before.

Answers

Try to purge the transaxle.
Instructions are here: www.ifixit.com/.../Mower+is+stuck+in+neutral+gear

I have a Bolens 600 series lawn tractor. I can't get my tractor to switch out of drive. It was working, but now seems to be stuck in drive.

This tractor is old so I have not found any info to help diagnose or fix this yet. Still fishing for info.

Answers

This could be a problem with your brake disc. They could be rusted and therefore your pads are stuck. You can try spraying WD 40 on the brake disc and rock the tractor back and forth. If this isn't helping, loosen the adjustment on the break disc. Tap on the caliper level with a hammer to free up the break disc. When doing this make sure your parking break isn't set.

We have been having trouble with the gears on this unit and have been told this is a common fault and not worth repairing; is this correct?

By Tony F

Answers

no its not true- thats bull - check brake and belts -

My riding lawnmower is stuck in first gear. What could be the problem?

By Amie from MO

Answers

If you lived in the San Antonio or Bandera Texas area, ProService could help you. If not, check your local Yellow Pages under Small Engine Repair. You should be able to locate someone who can repair your mower for you.

Or, check with a local car repair shop, if you can't locate a lawn mower service, and any of their technicians should be able to work on it for you. You have a transmission problem, which is not a 'do it yourself' project for a non-mechanical repair person.

I was cutting all day with my ride on lawnmower. I stopped and when I started it again and tried to put into gear it will not go into reverse or forward.

By Patrick

I own a 2010 Troybilt 17.5hp Pony riding mower. I can't shift out of first.

By waynedillon