Riding Mower Stuck in First Gear?

My riding lawnmower is stuck in first gear. What could be the problem?

By Amie from MO

If you lived in the San Antonio or Bandera Texas area, ProService could help you. If not, check your local Yellow Pages under Small Engine Repair. You should be able to locate someone who can repair your mower for you. Or, check with a local car repair shop, if you can't locate a lawn mower service, and any of their technicians should be able to work on it for you. You have a transmission problem, which is not a 'do it yourself' project for a non-mechanical repair person.

Anonymous

Obvious its a transmission problem but question what could cause the transmission to be stuck in first gear?
We all know where to start to get it fixed

I just had to breakdown my whole drive end and found that the shifter shaft was frozen by rust and lots of gummy grease. I found the pin on the lever where it locks the ball bearing in each gear was worn in half also. This is the one that sits in the round slider to slide the shaft forks shifting the gears back and forth. I now have to find a way to remove the shaft to get a new pin replaced. It is an older mower but nice. Someone abused the shift by not lubrication the shaft so it would shift easier.

I own a 2010 Troybilt 17.5hp Pony riding mower. I can't shift out of first.

By waynedillon

Answer this Question
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersApril 30, 2011
🍀
💘
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf95911640.tip.html