Craftsman LT 2000 Riding Mower Won't Start

Category Lawn Mowers
There are a number of reasons a mower won't start. Diagnosing the cause is the first step to making the necessary repair. This is a guide about Craftsman LT 2000 riding mower won't start.

I have a Craftsman LT2000 that will crank, but not turn over. The engine is an Intek 19.5 hp Briggs and Stratton. The model is 31P677 0804 B1. I have spark, I changed out the fuel solenoid and grounded it to the block with the key on and it moves in and out. I've taken off the flywheel and the key is in place. The gap between the flywheel and ignition thing is gapped correctly. It has a new plug and fuel filter. I am getting fuel to the carb when I put gas in the cylinder it will backfire once.

By Shawn K.

Answers

Best Answer

Sounds like your exhaust valve seat blew out.

I have a Craftsman Lt2000 model 247280904 that will not get gas to the cylinder though, it does turn over. I have a new starter and battery, but when you go to start all it wants to do is crank and spin, but not start. I have checked all the gas lines. The carburetor is cleaned and it's getting spark and combustion. Any help would be appreciated!

By Terry

Answers

Best Answer

I had the exact same issue on a 17 HP Kohler. After scratching my head for a couple hours, I just happened to notice the gas tank looked like it was under pressure. I took the gas cap off and the tank released the pressure and it fired right up. I put the cap back on and it stalled out after about a minute. Long story short, the vent hole on the gas cap was clogged and after cleaning and boring the hole out a little, the issue was resolved. May not be your issue, but an easy place to start.

My Craftsman riding mower won't start. I have replaced fuel lines, fuel filter, air filter, coil, spark plug, and the battery but the damn thing won't start. I have cleaned everything good, I can spray carb cleaner in the neck and it will try to start, but won't. What else can I do? I also added fresh gas and a fuel stabilizer just in case. Any suggestions will help. It is a Craftsman LT 2000 with Briggs and Stratton 18.5 HP OHV. I'm really frustrated with the whole lawn mower thing.

Thank you.

Answers

When was the last time it turned over and worked okay?

Sometimes you have to disconnect and reconnect the switch, which is located under the seat.

About 2 weeks ago

I have done this a couple of times

It sounds like you at the end of your rope and definitely need "professional" help.

Please call your local Sears Service/Parts center and ask them for help. I have always gotten very good answers (even if I did not buy anything) but they may ask you to bring your mower to their shop. They do know all of the common problems and can run down the list with you to see if you have covered all bases.
After all, you are using their machine so they should try to help you.

I've been jumping my mower off the starter and it has started fine. But after I added gas it started, shuddered, and then died. The engine spins and acts like it wants to start, but simply has not fired since. I am thinking bad gas? Should I drain the gas or try an additive? It only ran for maybe 3-5 seconds before cutting off.

Answers

Could be bad gas, or clogged fuel line or dirty air filter. Choke is open?

Hi, does the tractor have a battery properly installed? The reason being, there is a fuel shutoff solenoid located on the carburetor that requires 12 volts to open and allow fuel to enter the engine. Jumping directly to the starter will not provide electricity to that solenoid, therefore, the engine isn't getting gas. Try jumping directly to the battery cables so the electricity is supplied to the system and opens the fuel shutoff solenoid. If you have an ignition switch, safety switch or starter solenoid issue causing the starter to not engage via the ignition switch, install a battery and be sure the ignition is working properly and providing electricity to the fuel shutoff solenoid. As a last resort, you can remove the fuel solenoid from the bottom of the carb, making sure to clamp off the fuel line first, and cut the needle off that prevents the fuel from getting through the main jet and into the air stream. Be sure you have spark at the plug and if not you will need to unplug the ground wire that goes to the coil. Hope this helps.

Kevin,
Kevins Small Engine, 03908

Thank you for your advice! Actually I DID have a loose battery cable I found, when I accidentally came across it! After I checked my fuel and it was clean as a whistle, no water. I thought maybe fuse. Lifted my seat then noticed the cable. You're VERY good because I haven't seen or talked to ANYBODY who mentioned the battery. And I've watched more videos & talked to more Sears ppl than I care to for awhile! 

My LT 2000 Craftsman lawn tractor won't start unless you spin it over with your hand a few turns. Then it will start, but not all the time. The starter is good. What could be problem?

Answers

There is a switch under the seat. You can try disconnecting it and reconnecting it.

Has it been a while since you last used it?

If you are still having problems you might want to contact a Sears technician - easy to do and they usually answer your questions right away. You can fill out a form, chat on line, or call them directly.

Here is a link to their information and also a link to download your manual - in case you have misplaced yours.

http://www.sear  al?manualIndex=0

http://www.sear  ctor-repair.html

I have a Lt 2000 18.5 hp Craftsman rider lawn mower that was given to me. The previous owner said it ran great and the only problem was it needed the gas lines repaired. I repaired all of the gas lines, but it will not start. I turn the key and it cranks or spins, but then stops. If I take the sparkplug out it spins like crazy. I did it for a few minutes (figured it was flooded). I put a new spark plug in and the same thing happens. What am I missing?

Answers

There is a switch under the seat. You could try disconnecting it and reconnecting it.

when it first happened to me I had to put a fuel filter and a shut off valve in the gas line. That fixed my problem.....

The most obvious issue would be a weak/bad starter. Make sure your battery is fully charged measuring at least 12.5 volts across the terminals. Then engage the starter while watching the voltage, it should not drop below 10+ volts. If the battery is good, then the starter is the likely culprit. Also, if the unit turns over in such a way that it stops on the compression stroke and you have to bump the starter a few times to get past the compression cycle, the valves may be out of adjustment causing the compression release to not function properly. The valve clearance should be about .003 for intake and .004 for the exhaust valve. I hope this is helpful and if you wish to save a lot of time and possible money (throwing parts at it and hoping for the best), bring it to a service shop with a good reputation.

Kevin,
Kevins Small Engine, 03908

I have a Craftsman LT2000 riding Mower. I was mowing the yard the other day, dis-engaged the blade to go in reverse, then put it in drive and re-engaged the blade deck. When I did this, the engine shut off and will not re-start. When I tried to re-start it at first, it ran for a few seconds and died out and will now not start up. It turns over and over, but will not fire up.

I bought a new plug, new air filter, checked the carb and the solenoid, seat and plunger, all seems to be working good. It seems to have stopped running when I engaged the blade to keep mowing. It is getting fuel to the carb, and the engine is cranking over, but won't start.

Anyone have any ideas? I may smell a little fuel in the oil - could that be the issue? I have attached some pics to this post.

Answers

There should be no fuel in the oil. You might have a leak somewhere.

I have a 2013 lt 2000 Craftsman riding mower. I've changed the solenoid, the starter, and the battery, to no avail. It only clicks rapidly at the solenoid. I tried to jump the mower right at the starter and it will not turn over at all. It just sparks. Any ideas please?

I have a Craftsman LT 2000 that won't start. It has fire. I got it from an old man that had work done on it before and they wired it directly. Now it won't start, any ideas?

By Harley from TX

Answers:

Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start

Could have burned out a safety switch. This is why techs don't run jump wires to test your safety switches, you will need an ohm meter. If you get a reading of zero in the open position, replace the switch. If you don't know which is open or closed, measure from both sets of terminals, if you get two readings of zero, the switch is bad. Check your PTO, seat, and parking brake switches. (09/15/2010)

By revravyid