Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start

Category Lawn Mowers
Craftsman Riding Mower
It is very frustrating to roll out your mower to cut the lawn only to find that it won't start. This is a guide about Craftsman riding mower won't start.

There are a number of reasons a mower won't start. Diagnosing the cause is the first step to making the necessary repair. This is a guide about Craftsman LT 2000 riding mower won't start.

Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Determining the reason your riding mower won't start is the first step towards making the necessary repairs. This is a guide about Craftsman LT 1000 riding mower won't start.

mower

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have a Craftsman 917.289700 with a 24hp B&S engine. Today it quit running while mowing. I thought it was gas, so I filled it up, but now it is a dead duck. Read in my manual, if you can call it that, to check a 30 amp fuse behind the dash, but no can see. Does anyone have a photo that would locate this for me?

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Answers

Best Answer

The fuse should be near the solenoid. There might be a access panel that has 2 screws holding it on near your feet on the seat side. The solenoid should be inside, and the wire on the side of the solenoid goes to the fuse.

I am 13 years old and I have a Craftsman 19.5 turbo cooled 2 cylinder
lawn tractor; there is no mow deck at all. I bought it for my birthday last year.
I can't get it started. I think it is the carb and the fuel pump. I just don't know how to fix those two things. Does anyone know how? I am trying to get it going so I can do the tractor pull at the Windsor fair.

Answer Was this helpful? 2

This mower will only turn over 1 time and it seems compression keeps it from continuing. If I take out the spark plug it will turn over like crazy. Yes I have spark.

Answer Was this helpful? 3

I replaced the deck belt on my Craftsman LT1500 mower and now it won't start. I replaced the battery and still nothing. Any ideas?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have an 8yr old 42" Craftsman riding tractor that won't start. It will turn over a few seconds then stop and begin clicking. Once I was able to start it after I placed both hands flat on the thing that turns when you turn the key on and manually turned it a little. But I can't get it to work this time. It turns a little then is tight and very hard to turn. Once I get it past the hard turn it loosens and turns easily a little, but tightens again. It makes me want to spray it with WD-40. But I don't want to do the wrong thing. I'm a female and don't know the correct name of parts...so patience please.

By Connie B.

Try charging the battery or replacing it. Sounds exactly like what mine did and it ended up being the battery. As soon as I swapped it out it fired right up.

I am having the exact same problem with my craftsman mower and I am wondering if you were ever able to figure it out. If so please let me know what you found out. Thank you!

I'm having the same problem even after buying a new battery and spark plug. It was able to be boosted to start and for several weeks did that each time I mowed. But now it won't boost. It will turn over a few seconds then stop. Any suggestions? How can I know if it's the starter or something else.

Anonymous

Make sure your battery is charged up. Pull the spark plugs and see if it turns over easily. If it does then the starter is good but your valves probably needs adjusting. Check the valves to see if they are 3 to 5 thousands of an inch at TDC of the power stroke. Adjust if necessary.

Anonymous

The valves need to be adjusted. When they are out of adjustment it becomes too difficult for the starter to turn the engine over. There are youtube videos on how to do this. A repair shop can do it for you. Your mower should turn over after that.

I have a Craftsman automatic 42" cut Koehler Pro 16.5 ohm, (S.s# 052000b007775/ Mod # 917.271141). I can not get it to start! I replaced the battery, spark plug, air filter, oil, and oil filter. When I turn the key nothing happens except a faint click. The mower worked last summer without any problems. I'm not quite sure what to look into next. The starter?

Have you looked at the mower's switch that the key goes into, perhaps it is the starter?

Did you check your carburetor? I had the same problem with my push mower and did all the things you did but it still would not start and a friend told me to check the carburetor. Took it apart and saw a little sludge on the bottom that was plugging the hole in the carburetor screw. Cleaned it out, put it back together and it started right up. The thing I learned from this was to run the mower until there is no more gas for it to run after the season is over. And to always put gas stabilizer additive in new gas to also help prevent this problem.

Second thought.....does the mower have a battery? is it charged if it does. And if that is ok...then it must be the starter.

Anonymous

Put new starter in

Nothing happens when I turn the key. It will start when I run a jumper cable from the battery to the starter. I replaced the solenoid, but it is still not starting. I have no idea what to do or check?

I have a Kohler 22.5 h.p. engine in a Craftsman riding mower. It turns over, but won't start. Things I've checked: it has spark and there is gas pumping out of the fuel pump. Any more ideas?

By Del

Best Answer

Check engine compression or see if the float is stuck on the carburetor.

I have a Crafstman riding mower. I haven't used it for about nine months. Unfortunately before winter came nothing was done to "winterize" it. Now I can't get it to start. Should I change the oil? Empty the gas and refill it? As you can tell I'm not a "handyman"!

I have a 21 horse power Craftsman riding mower with a Briggs and Stratton motor. It was running fine; I shut it off and blew the grass off before putting it up and it will not start back. I have put a new battery and starter on it, but it won't turn the motor over unless you take the plug out and then it turns it over fine. But when you put the plug back, it won't turn over. What is wrong with it?

I have a 18.5 hp twin Kolhler magnum mod.mv18s. I have voltage at the electronic ignition module, nothing at the coil pack, and no spark at the plugs.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I changed the starter, battery, battery ends and solenoid, but my tractor still will not start. Any ideas?

I have replaced the battery, solenoid, and ignition switch. With the key on, the mower button will click and activate so I know I have power. The new battery is fully charged. I have located, and verified that the safety switches are making contact and continuity. I can make the tractor run by jumping across the solenoid and kill the engine by turning off the key. But it will not start with the key.

My brother has a 18 hp. Craftsman ride. It turns over, but doesn't start unless I put my hand over the air intake at the filter. Then it runs until I take off my hand.

Why will my Craftsman lawn tractor not start with a new battery, new spark plugs, new gas, gas filter, oil filter, and new oil?

This happened to mine while under warranty (last year). Repairman came, raised my seat & there was a little fuse or something & he pulled it out & replaced it - told me to get on & crank it. It fired off & no more problem this year with anything.

Either a poorly connected battery ground if you get nothing or varnish in the carburetor if it tries but won't turn over. It never hurts to add C-foam to the gas. Let it sit 24 hrs then try again.

I have an older Craftsman mower with the 19.5 horse Briggs and Stratton motor that was given to me. The guy said all it needed was a drive belt because the original one broke while he was mowing and he didn't know how to fix it. Well I put a new drive belt on and now the motor won't start with the key, it doesn't make any noises or even attempt to turn over. The headlights will come on with the key, but that's it. I tested the battery and it's good, so I used a screw driver to bridge across the positive and negative side of the silenoid and the motor will turn over, but not start. What could be causing the ignition not to be able to turn over the motor?

Answers

Check your battery and cables and clean the cables. The ignition switch could also be bad. Your battery could be bad.

I fixed it! Changed out my solenoid and it fired right up! but now when i put it in gear and let off the clutch it boggs down and dies, it also does the same thing when I try to disengage the blades and let off the clutch, but it runs great with the clutch pushed in, I even idled it up all the way and popped the clutch and the mower only moved like a foot then started bogging down and died again. I have no clue what could be causing this.

Anonymous

Check the gas line from tank to carb mine became soft and collapse when running under a load and starves for gas causing it to stall . I replaced the gas line worked like a champ !

I have a 15.5 hp Craftsman riding mower. It has a new battery, solenoid, starter, wiring harness, fuse, and clutch and seat switches. And it still will not turn over. What else is there to replace? The motor turns over when I jump the starter.

By Scott

Answers

This happened to me once. I gave mower away, it was a fuse!

Key switch

I had a similar problem with my riding mower, would not turn over but would make a click when the ignition was turned to on. I replaced the battery, spark plug, solenoid, magneto coil, ignition switch checked harness for shorts and checked switches at the brake and lever to raise/ lower the blades and both were working as should be.

I even changed the gas and oil and nothing. I finally stumbled on the answer to my problem when I was holding the switch that depresses when the blades are raised in my hand and manually pressed it and the damn think fired up like nothing was wrong. Despite everything being ok, the switch was not positioned correctly to recognize the blades being up and was therefore not firing up when I turned the key. In other words if you know everything is working then try adjusting the position of your switches.

I replaced the battery. My mower doesn't even make a sound when you turn the key. Also, the electronic deck won't raise or lower. It usually will, even when the mower is turned off. I've repeatedly moved and reset all the levers, etc. thinking something was stuck, but again, the deck should still raise/lower. Any ideas?

While cutting our grass, I accidentally put my Craftsman mower (17.5 hp Briggs engine) in reverse. The mower stopped and will not start. The engine turns over 1 time very slowly and then stops. The belts are disengaged, battery is charged, and solenoid is working I guess because the starter gets power to turn. I took a chance and replaced the starter with no different result. When I turn the engine by hand it is easy to turn for one revolution or so and then really hard to turn; then easy again. What should I check next?

My Craftsman riding mower model # 536.270111 won't start. I replaced the carburetor, added fresh fuel, a new spark plug, and an air filter. The engine will crank and I can smell the engine getting gas, but the engine will not start.

I have a Craftsman 27hp lawn tractor model 917288740. It will not start. I have replaced the solenoid, ignition switch, battery, and all fuses. The fuse coming out of the solenoid blows as soon as key is turned. I can not find any defective wiring. If I follow the wire it goes under fly wheel and looks fine. Any ideas? All safety locks (seat-blade-clutch) are working.

In the neutral position the mower will not turn over or make any noise. When pressing in the clutch, and turning the key there is a clicking/hissing noise that comes from under the seat, in the general area of the battery.

Can anyone offer some advice on how this may be corrected?

My 12 HP Craftsman riding mower (Model 917.254551) will not start although the motor will crank. I have changed the battery, coil, and throttle cable. There doesn't appear to be any spark when testing at the spark plug. There are gas vapors when the air filter is removed and the engine cranked. What should I check in order to get a spark at the plug?

By William

I just got a 10 hp mower it ran at the house I got it at ran when I got home. I wash it and clean it all up. Started it and it ran for 30 feet and stop running. Turns over but no spark at plug. Can smell gas even when I don't have throttle up. What's up with it?

Valve seat may be loose or broken. Had this happen to me and everywhere I looked, the answer was "Flywheel key". my key was fine. Valve seat was off. Fixed and good to go.

Your magneto is bad.

I just got a used Craftsman 14 hp riding lawn mower. I tried to jump it and when I turn the key nothing happens, but if I jump the solenoid it will crank over. I am guessing it may be a bad ignition, but I am not sure. Is there a way to test ignition switch or could it be something else?

I have a Craftsman ride on mower 420cc. This was the first time I was going to use it this season. I go to turn the key, nothing. So I hook up a battery charger to it and let it charge 4 hours. I go to start it. It sounds like it's going to turn over, then nothing. Then I just hear a clicking sound. Any ideas? Maybe the battery is no good? It is a 3 year old battery.

I have a Craftsman rider. It has sat in the shed for the winter. I pulled it out, put gas in, charged the battery, and tried to start it. It did not even crank. I opened the motor lid, turned the motor by hand, turned the key in the on position and it cranked, but did not start. I did this several times. Then I cleaned the spark plug; still the same. Can anyone help?

My Craftsman riding mower won't start. I turned the key on and heard a small pop. It won't start. The solenoid won't click. I have power to the white line to the solenoid. I checked the solenoid separately by putting power to the terminals and got connectivity across the power terminals. The cable to the starter and the cable to ground has connectivity. I jumped starter it from the battery and it cranks. If I turn the key, it won't start. There is no solenoid click. No nothing. Anyone know what might be the problem?

I bought a Craftsman 46" Auto 22 HP V-Twin Kohler riding mower. I had it stored away for about 5 months. The gas was left in the tank and now it won't start. It will turn on for a bit then turn off.

My tractor shut off while mowing and then wouldn't start back up. The engine cranks, but won't turn over. Gas is full, there is a new battery, new ignition coil, new spark plug, and new seat safety switch. Still no luck. Help please.

Could be your blades hit something on the ground causing braking the shear pin, or it has a bent crankshaft.

Load More