Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a Crafstman riding mower. I haven't used it for about nine months. Unfortunately before winter came nothing was done to "winterize" it. Now I can't get it to start. Should I change the oil? Empty the gas and refill it? As you can tell I'm not a "handyman"!

Best Answer

Change ALL the fluids, clean the battery terminals, and change the spark plugs as well. AutoZone and other auto supply stores sell a 'gap' tool that will assist you in adjusting the spark plug gaps.

I'm a woman who had to learn these things (the hard way, oh well, now I do know:). As the need arose pre-Internet days to get my mower running after a hard winter, I found a Reader's Digest 'how to' book at the library and learned from it. You can do the same - I would never have thought myself mechanically minded or able until I left a John Deere lawn mower under a tarp in my back garden over a harsh winter, now I can work on just about any mower or other small engine machine!

ALL SEARS/CRAFTSMAN lawn and garden products are GARBAGE. Buy a case of quality beer. Enlist the help of 3 of your best friends or neighbors.

Ask them to help you heave you Craftsman riding lawnmower in the the nearest large dumpster. After that, drink up and enjoy the rest of your life.

GEE my 20hp Kohler powered Craftsman garden tractor is 17 years old I cut grass and plow snow with it .Runs as good as my neighbors John Deere I just put my first drive belt on. Other then a few battries and changing the oil it's GREAT

I agree

Anonymous

Change the oil gas an plug

same thing. My fuel pump broke, I think if froze. replaced it and she works fine