Bypassing Safety Switches on a Riding Lawnmower

Category Lawn Mowers
Safety switches on lawn mowers are there to protect you from injury. However, for repair purposes it may be necessary to bypass or disable the safety switches on your riding lawnmower. After repair always, return all safety switches to full functionality before using your riding lawnmower again. This is a guide about bypassing safety switches on riding lawnmower.

How do you bypass the 3 safety switches on a riding lawnmower?

jimmynjax from Orange Park, FL

Editor's Note: We wouldn't recommend bypassing safety switches because they are there so you don't hurt yourself.

Answers

Best Answer

One reason to bypass a lawnmower switches is to make them into a racing mower (removing the mower part.) If I were you I would just take them apart as I am and figure it out. On mine I have a safety switch apart and the way to do it is the whites stay apart and the two blacks that go together into the switch go together. It's just hot wiring the thing. If this doesn't work just take something and cut apart the switch and take a look. The worst that could happen is you have to buy another switch which is like $10.

I've got a problem about my Scott's John Deere riding lawnmower and I need to find the answer for how to bypass the safety switch in the engine of this lawnmower. Please let me know!

By Anh N

Answers

Best Answer

On reading your post a second time, never bypass any safety switch. Just find out how to repair whatever problem you're having, but leave the safety switch alone. Yesterday at the hardware store, I just spoke to a guy who knew someone who bypassed the safety, and ended up injuring himself badly.

Best Answer

Guess what? Many of these companies so called "safety switches" are so poorly engineered they significantly interfere with the operation of the mower. For example I have sent my Husqvarna riding mower into the shop six times to try to get it keep from stopping running when on any kind of grade. Virtyually every thing in the mower was checked or changed with zero improvement. The mower only had 44 hours on it when the problem first got my attention due to moving to a place which has more hilly lawn. The culprit is the $10.00 seat safety switch which is about 2 1/2 inches in diameter so with the slightest shifting of weight it stops the engine. What kind of an idiot would design something like that? It is almost impossible to bypass as well. What I have is a $2,000 POS.

Best Answer

Having grown up on a farm I agree that the safety switches on riding mowers are a bit ridiculous. The best safety switch is a brain and an understanding of the machine you're using. That said, most switches are simple open/close circuit switches... just like the flip switch in your house. The machine either wants an open circuit or a closed one, if it wants open, cut and tape the ends of the wires. If it wants closed, twist the ends together and tape them off.

Best Answer

Not doubting your statement but it just seems almost no one knows anyone personally that got a foot or toes cut off, just that they knew someone who said they knew etc etc. Yes, some safety switches are a good idea. Others are not well thought out at all and result in more machines getting tossed that actual failures or overpriced repairs at the dealer. I will say that anyone who messes with the safety devices has a duty and responsibility to report that ( I would do it in writing ) should it be sold the buyer is made aware of same. The threat of lawsuits and lack of personal responsibility is absolutely appalling in the past several decades.

How can I bypass a clutch on a riding mower so I don't need it to start the mower?

By Dylan

Answers

Best Answer

It's usually just a push button kind of switch. Look underneath the mower where you clutch is and push it down (sometimes theres a mechanism connected to the clutch pushing the switch, depending if it's an open or close type) grab a zip tie and tie it around if its a close. If not snip and strip them and wire together the two leads.