No Power to Circuit After Changing Switches

Category Electrical
This is a guide about no power to circuit after changing switches. Replacing electrical switches may best be left to a professional electrician to make sure it is done properly.

I turned the breaker off and replaced two light switches and when I turned the breaker back on, there is no power to the two I changed and another switch I didn't change, all on the same circuit. I don't have any GFIs in the room and checked the others in the house that are OK. I flipped the breaker switch on and off 4-5 times and nothing changes. Everything was working fine before I turned the breaker off. I had changed another light switch in a different bathroom, on a separate circuit, before my issue and had no problem with the breaker in the other bathroom. Not sure what's up! Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks!

Answers

Best Answer

An electrician is always your best choice. Electricity can hurt and even kill. Never work a circuit energized.

An electrical circuit consists of two current carrying conductors coming from the breaker panel. The "hot" wire is black and the "neutral" wire is white.

A switch should be on the "hot" not the neutral. Although not legal, a switch on the neutral is sometimes done by amateurs.

A switch is put on the circuit to turn loads (usually light fixtures) on and off.

The home installation usually has the black hot wire going from one switch to the next switch maybe to a receptacle and on to another switch. What I'm trying to say is the hot wire has to be daisy chained through these boxes with at least three wires under the wire nut. Hot coming in, hot going out to next device and hot to switch.

If, upon installation of a new switch, the short black wire from the switch to the wire nut causes a tug on the wire nut and a loose connection of the incoming hot is formed, then none of the other devices downstream will get power either. The wire nut may just need to be re-installed to get a good connection from the panel (or previous device).

Electrical wire is typically installed economically. So the path for the cable would be from the panel to the closest device, then to the next closest and so on. The switch closest to the power panel probably contains the loose connection.

Obviously some wire someplace is not connected properly. We have an electrician, Bruce, that posts on here sometimes. Perhaps he can offer advice. If not, call an electrician who has equipment to diagnose your problem.