Not Getting Power But Circuit Breaker Was Not Tripped

Category Electrical
Electrical problems can be difficult to diagnose, especially when it isn't a simple case of resetting the breaker. This is a guide to troubleshoot the issue of not getting power but the circuit breaker was not tripped.

The Christmas lights on my house are not working, but have for past 3 weeks. I took an extension cord and moved it to the front porch and plugged it in. When I did that the refrigerator and freezer in garage quit working. I hit all the breakers, but there was no change. I pressed the trippers inside and outside of the house and still nothing. Any ideas how to fix this?

By Terry

Answers

Best Answer

James, you said your breaker is not tripping, but if your resetting your main breaker to get things working again, that means it is tripping. This is one problem you should call a professional for, because it could be one or more many different things.
1. Bad main or sub main depending on panel style.
2. overloaded main or sub main breaker.
3. bad terminations in panel.
4. main bus failing in breaker panel.
etc.

My electric keeps going out and the breaker is not tripping, I've even tried to flip each and every single one of them and nothing happens. I have to flip the main switch in order to get power back into the room. Please help.

By James from Indianapolis, IN

Answers:

When we moved into this cottage, we had a very hot summer, and didn't know that we could not run the microwave and the toaster (and the fridge) at the same time as they are all on the same circuit, and we tripped the circuit. But when I went out, it didn't appear that we had-we had just barely tripped it so the switch didn't flip.

After much poking and prodding (there were no listings as to which switch went to what part of the house, so we learned that in the process), we learned that we had indeed tripped it, and that the switch had to be switched off and back on again to reset it. That was not the last time that happened to us, though we've had much cooler summers since, and we know now not to run the two machines at the same time, fridge and toaster or fridge and microwave is fine, but add a third machine and we are back to resetting the switch.

(02/17/2010)

By Cornelia

My hubby said, you need to get an electrician quick, the main circuit trips, because the individual circuit(s) are
not tripping. They are suppose to trip when there is a problem, when they don't, the main circuit breaker in the box trips.

Syd (02/24/2010)

By Syd Barr

Yes, check first to make sure there is not gfic breaker on the same circuit. For those stupid like me, that means a receptacle, with pop out buttons in the middle. Our coffee pot was plugged into one that was on the same circuit as the garbage disposal I was trying to fix. Hadn't tried to make any coffee, so I didn't notice it until coming to this website. I popped the button back in and it works! Saved me from thinking I was just continuing a family curse of working on household stuff! (11/03/2010)

By sunny

After putting up our outdoor Christmas lights the power went out to that outlet. The circuit breaker did not trip and we do not have any GFI outlets to reset. What do we do?

By Frances from Yuam, AZ

Answers:

There may be a bad connections to the terminals in the outlet; however you should, for safety reasons replace the receptacle with a GFIC. If it still doesn't have 120vac to the outlet, check the terminals from which the wiring comes from. There may be loose connections there, or maybe that outlet may be a GFIC and needs to be reset. I would think that if a short existed, you'd be aware of it. (12/08/2009)

By Cajun

Sometimes the breaker will appear not to have tripped, so flip it, anyway, and see if that corrects it. We live in an older house and the system is a bit old fashioned, sometimes we run too many small appliances at one time in the kitchen, and it flips the switch, but it took me several puzzled times to figure out that it wasn't actually flipping the switch. Just nudging it a tiny bit, which equaled flipping the switch for it. So flip it completely off and back on may be all it takes. (12/10/2009)

By Cornelia

I thought I had tripped the circuit breaker after turning on the TV, stereo, Satellite receiver all at the same time. However when I went to check the breaker, it had not tripped, but there was no power to any of the outlets on that circuit. Does this sound like a faulty breaker? And if so, can I change it myself?

Thanks,
GD from NY

Answers:

My son claims one can change a faulty breaker themselves if the main electricity switch to the dwelling is cut off. They are sold at large hardware stores. I believe he said that it unscrews and pulls straight out of a normal box configuration. Take it with you when you go to buy a new one. He said it isn't hard, but our box is a bit too high for me and I prefer that he would do it if ever needed. God bless you. (09/07/2006)

By lynda

After my father passed away my mother experienced the same thing. She asked a neighbor to come over that worked with electricity and he told her that sometimes the circuit breaker doesn't pop out all the way. She just needed to push the circuit breaker till it popped then reset it. She's not had any more problems. Hope this helps.
Nancy (09/08/2006)

By Nancy

Just a quick question first. Are your appliances plugged into a power supply cord? If by chance they are, did you check the trip button on that? and if their not I would highly recommend you purchase one.

Go to your hardware store and talk to the salesperson about the problem and he'll direct you in how to fix it. (09/08/2006)

By Laurie

Had a similar problem. Replaced a light fixture that had been working, however new one did not. Took it down and checked power, had no power. Circuit breaker at panel was OK, checked other lights on same circuit. My wife figured it out for me, one of the outlets on that circuit was a GFI and it had tripped. Reset it and had power back to the light. (09/17/2007)

By Joe

I just had a "GFI situation" in my home as well. Our garage doors would not open and there was no power to the fridge in the garage, but the breakers hadn't tripped. I googled "circuit not tripped, but no power", and saw mollie01's comment, and sure enough, one of the other outlets on the circuit was a GFI in the kitchen that had tripped. Reset the GFI and voila, power again. It was nice to have a simple fix for once.(09/24/2007)

By Katie

I recently developed a similar situation. General lighting circuit cuts out entirely (mostly on one side of the house). I checked the breakers and none were tripped. I tried them all to see if tripping them manually and resetting them would restore power, but it didn't. However, after about an hour or so, power came back on by itself with no action on my part. Then power was on for several hours after that, then cut out again and restarted on its own after about an hour or two. Haven't checked GFI yet, but since it's restarting on its own I doubt that's the problem. Any ideas? Thanks.

Editor's Note: We had this happen once, and it didn't make sense. Call your power company to come check to make sure you are getting all the power you should be. One of their wires coming into the house had burned up the connection in their box by the street, so we were only getting half of the power we should have been getting. There is no charge to have this checked. (06/08/2009)

By Jon Leppo