Not Getting Power But Circuit Breaker Was Not Tripped

Category Electrical
Electrical problems can be difficult to diagnose, especially when it isn't a simple case of resetting the breaker. This is a page to troubleshoot the issue of not getting power but the circuit breaker was not tripped.

The Christmas lights on my house are not working, but have for past 3 weeks. I took an extension cord and moved it to the front porch and plugged it in. When I did that the refrigerator and freezer in garage quit working. I hit all the breakers, but there was no change. I pressed the trippers inside and outside of the house and still nothing. Any ideas how to fix this?

By Terry

Answers

Best Answer

James, you said your breaker is not tripping, but if your resetting your main breaker to get things working again, that means it is tripping. This is one problem you should call a professional for, because it could be one or more many different things.
1. Bad main or sub main depending on panel style.
2. overloaded main or sub main breaker.
3. bad terminations in panel.
4. main bus failing in breaker panel.
etc.

The power went out in our living room including the front door hallway light. Even the outdoor light shut off. I went to the electrical panel and shut the individual switches on and off, but no power. I even switched off the main breaker and still nothing. There is no power in that area of the house. Does anyone know what might be wrong? I'm thinking it might be the main grid wire for that area of the house. What do you think people? I appreciate your feed back.

Thank you.

Answers

I am always the one to preach safety first with electricity and to call in the pros and not try home remedies unless you are an expert in electricity. Yes, I know it costs, but I know my town had two major house fires because of DIY electrical issues and that terrified me!!

To me it is worth it to get someone trained in to look and fix, vs. me crowd sourcing an answer! That is just me...I am a SAFETY FIRST GAL!!

Post back what you learn!! Good luck!!

Before you call someone in, call the power company. If the problem lies on their end, they have to fix it.

I would call the power company first before you do any thing. DO NOT try to fix it yourself. It might be a short circuit or it might be a problem with an outside line..

If the power company can not find the problem then I thing you should call an independent electrician .

Anonymous

Hi had an electrician into my home and it was a break in one of the circuits over time it corroded so he replaced it and double checked all outlets in the area and everthing was good now have piece of mind thank you for your feed back .

In the majority of the cases, a tripped circuit breaker mostly cause by circuit overload. It could be a defective appliance, a damaged cord could do it as well. Unplug everything then trip the breakers each one.

Anonymous

Since when does electric utilities wk inside homes?? Ameren UE will barely shut power off outside!

I lost power in area of my home about a week ago, no breaker had tripped. So I waited for a bit and the power just came back on and it stayed on for about a week. I lost power once again in the same area and it did try to come back on, but never did and no tripped breakers.

What could cause this? Right now I have all items in my bedroom that were plugged in a wall outlet unplugged and plugged into power strips and extension cords. Everything else is hard wired.

Answers

Call the power company first. It may be a problem with the wiring going to your house. If that is the case, they will fix it for free.

Were the items plugged into a certain outlet in the wall? Were all of them out? There is a simple plug in outlet tester you can get to see if there is a problem with your outlet. It has three lights on it. Are your outlets older 2 prong or newer three prong (grounded) outlets?

You could also have a faulty breaker. I would invest in the outlet tester first and go from there.

Good luck!

Sometimes it is difficult to tell if a breaker has tripped as it may not flip back all the way. If you know what breaker is to this room you might try flipping it off - wait 5 to 10 minutes and flip it back on.

If the breaker is bad you can sometimes check this by making the room dark and see if the any of your breakers are showing 'red' - if so this could indicate the breaker is going bad.

If you have a TV or window AC plus other lights and gadgets on the same outlet/breaker, there may be an overload if several happen to start at the same time (this happens in kitchens quite frequently when appliances 'start' at the same time).

You might pay a visit to Lowe's, Home Depot or Ace Hardware and explain what is happening and they should be able to guide you to the correct 'detector' to check your lines for the problem.

I am a safety first gal so I never recommend home remedies for electrical issues--after of course you have done the basic like checking breakers and plugs. Intermittent problems are the scariest and in my world are always something that needs a pro to fix.

My best recommendation is call someone ASAP and get the piece of mind of having them check it out!

Our guy has a deal where if you book online, you get $15 off the visit. That was something new I learned last issue.

Post back with an update! Hope it is an easy solution!

First recheck your breakers, then call the power company. If those are not the issues, call an electrician. Power issues are nothing to fool around with. It could be faulty wiring that could set fire to your house.

I'm trying to replace an outside light fixture and when I do I flip the switch and it shuts down the whole circuit like I tripped the breaker, but the breaker's not tripped.

Answers

There is a bad connection or a splice somewhere. This forum has a lot of good advice. forum.allaboutcircuits.com/.../

I encourage you if you can't figure it out or are not an electricity expert to seek a professional to help with this.

My suggestion is based on two neighborhood fires that were caused by DIY electrical projects. I am just a safety first kind of person!

Flip each breaker on and off. Sometimes the breaker has been tripped but it looks like it has not.

After checking the wires coming out of the breakers, I have two that don't have any power coming out. I replaced the "faulty" breakers, but still have nothing coming out. The other breakers are showing 120v coming out when tested with a meter.

Answers

You could have a tripped GFCI outlet or a loose wire

www.reddit.com/.../

I live in an old house and when we had issues like you are describing, we had to have a whole section of the wiring redone because there was a crack/split down the line--between the box and the room that I was having lights not go on.

Are you able to test along the line from the box to the place with issues? It sounds like you are working backwards from the box. Maybe work backwards from the room without power.

I changed one fixture in the kitchen and now I have no power to 5 lights. All lights were working before I changed that one. I took the one out, but there is still no power. I also checked the breaker and it is not tripped. Help.

Answers

You must have wired incorrectly if they were working before. It may be time to get a handyman or electrician.

I find it pointless to always see your comments, as you say the same thing every time. you should know that if they wanted to call an expert, they would, as I am sure they know that they exist. We are all here to learn, that is why we are here at THRIFTYFUN.

I wired in a ceiling fan/light in my porch about a year ago and now there is no power. I took the fan down turned on the power and I have no power to the switch, and the breaker is not tripped!

Answers

The wiring to the breaker is damaged or broken. Get an electrician if you are not familiar with these repairs

I thought I had tripped the circuit breaker after turning on the TV, stereo, Satellite receiver all at the same time. However when I went to check the breaker, it had not tripped, but there was no power to any of the outlets on that circuit. Does this sound like a faulty breaker? And if so, can I change it myself?

Thanks,
GD from NY

Answers:

My son claims one can change a faulty breaker themselves if the main electricity switch to the dwelling is cut off. They are sold at large hardware stores. I believe he said that it unscrews and pulls straight out of a normal box configuration. Take it with you when you go to buy a new one. He said it isn't hard, but our box is a bit too high for me and I prefer that he would do it if ever needed. God bless you. (09/07/2006)

By lynda

After my father passed away my mother experienced the same thing. She asked a neighbor to come over that worked with electricity and he told her that sometimes the circuit breaker doesn't pop out all the way. She just needed to push the circuit breaker till it popped then reset it. She's not had any more problems. Hope this helps.
Nancy (09/08/2006)

By Nancy

Just a quick question first. Are your appliances plugged into a power supply cord? If by chance they are, did you check the trip button on that? and if their not I would highly recommend you purchase one.

Go to your hardware store and talk to the salesperson about the problem and he'll direct you in how to fix it. (09/08/2006)

By Laurie

Had a similar problem. Replaced a light fixture that had been working, however new one did not. Took it down and checked power, had no power. Circuit breaker at panel was OK, checked other lights on same circuit. My wife figured it out for me, one of the outlets on that circuit was a GFI and it had tripped. Reset it and had power back to the light. (09/17/2007)

By Joe

I just had a "GFI situation" in my home as well. Our garage doors would not open and there was no power to the fridge in the garage, but the breakers hadn't tripped. I googled "circuit not tripped, but no power", and saw mollie01's comment, and sure enough, one of the other outlets on the circuit was a GFI in the kitchen that had tripped. Reset the GFI and voila, power again. It was nice to have a simple fix for once.(09/24/2007)

By Katie

I recently developed a similar situation. General lighting circuit cuts out entirely (mostly on one side of the house). I checked the breakers and none were tripped. I tried them all to see if tripping them manually and resetting them would restore power, but it didn't. However, after about an hour or so, power came back on by itself with no action on my part. Then power was on for several hours after that, then cut out again and restarted on its own after about an hour or two. Haven't checked GFI yet, but since it's restarting on its own I doubt that's the problem. Any ideas? Thanks.

Editor's Note: We had this happen once, and it didn't make sense. Call your power company to come check to make sure you are getting all the power you should be. One of their wires coming into the house had burned up the connection in their box by the street, so we were only getting half of the power we should have been getting. There is no charge to have this checked. (06/08/2009)

By Jon Leppo

My electric keeps going out and the breaker is not tripping, I've even tried to flip each and every single one of them and nothing happens. I have to flip the main switch in order to get power back into the room. Please help.

By James from Indianapolis, IN

Answers:

When we moved into this cottage, we had a very hot summer, and didn't know that we could not run the microwave and the toaster (and the fridge) at the same time as they are all on the same circuit, and we tripped the circuit. But when I went out, it didn't appear that we had-we had just barely tripped it so the switch didn't flip.

After much poking and prodding (there were no listings as to which switch went to what part of the house, so we learned that in the process), we learned that we had indeed tripped it, and that the switch had to be switched off and back on again to reset it. That was not the last time that happened to us, though we've had much cooler summers since, and we know now not to run the two machines at the same time, fridge and toaster or fridge and microwave is fine, but add a third machine and we are back to resetting the switch. (02/17/2010)

By Cornelia

My hubby said, you need to get an electrician quick, the main circuit trips, because the individual circuit(s) are
not tripping. They are suppose to trip when there is a problem, when they don't, the main circuit breaker in the box trips.

Syd (02/24/2010)

By Syd Barr

Yes, check first to make sure there is not gfic breaker on the same circuit. For those stupid like me, that means a receptacle, with pop out buttons in the middle. Our coffee pot was plugged into one that was on the same circuit as the garbage disposal I was trying to fix. Hadn't tried to make any coffee, so I didn't notice it until coming to this website. I popped the button back in and it works! Saved me from thinking I was just continuing a family curse of working on household stuff! (11/03/2010)

By sunny

After putting up our outdoor Christmas lights the power went out to that outlet. The circuit breaker did not trip and we do not have any GFI outlets to reset. What do we do?

Home and Garden Repair Home ElectricalJune 18, 2018
🎂
🌻
📓