Outlets in One Room Don't Work

Category Electrical
Identifying the various circuits in a room can help you troubleshoot electrical problems when some outlets stop working. This is a guide about outlets in one room don't work.

All of the electrical outlets in one room stopped working at the same time. They are standard outlets so there is no reset button on them. The breaker is not tripped so what else could be the problem? Someone mentioned a possible blown fuse so how would you look for that to change it?

By Elisha S

Answers

Best Answer

Hi Elisha, Since you have breakers, you won't have fuses. You need to go to the breaker box, switch the breaker for that room off and then turn it back on. You should hear and feel a distinct click when it turns back on. If that doesn't work then, most likely, you have a bad breaker and you need an electrician to handle that. Good Luck.

Best Answer

I agree with the previous posters. If you have tried flipping the breakers on and off -- and sometimes they do not look like they have flipped off -- and that doesn't work, you need to call an electrician. If you have breakers, you will not have fuses. Any "loose wires" or anything like could cause fires or other problems.

All the outlets in one room stopped working, the lights still come on. I replaced the breaker and all the outlets and it's still not working. Help me.

By Shinji

Answers

Best Answer

You probably have a wire broken somewhere. It could be dangerous. I suggest you turn off the breaker until you can find out what is going on. Also note that the lights and the outlets may not be on the same circuit. Find someone with electrical experience to help you trace out the circuit and find out where the problem is.

Best Answer

The very same thing happened to us recently. Outlets that go out together do so because that set is connected to one another by the wiring in the walls.

If there is a break in the power anywhere along that circuit they will all go out. It won't necessarily blow the fuse or the circuit breaker.

While it could be caused by a broken wire, it could also be just an old outlet that stops functioning due to age (ours was actually cracked inside), or a wire may have worked its way loose from the outlet over time and just needs to be refastened.

In our case, we upgraded all the outlets on that circuit with new units rather than just replacing the one that failed. All of the outlets are the same age (35 years), so we figured there is no point in waiting for them to fail one by one.

Last night I stayed up until about 2am playing my Xbox, and after that I watched Netflix until I fell asleep. When I woke up at about 10:30, none of my outlets worked. I tried unplugging and replugging everything in, but that didn't work. Then I tried to cut on my light, and that worked. Also, everything else in the rest of my house works, and my room is the only room that won't work. We've tried resetting the breaker for my room, but that didn't work. Can you help?

By Justin E.

Answers

Best Answer

If it is not simply an issue of the breaker flipping off, and you said you have checked that, then it is time to call an electrician. Home electrical repairs should not be undertaken by people who don't know what they are doing. It could be some sort of problem that will cause a fire. Running a TV or an Xbox all night long should not cause any problems. These things are not big draws of electricity. If that is what caused the problem, you have defective machines or defective wiring.

I am praying someone can help. I just changed out 4 outlets and a switch for cosmetic reasons in a bedroom. When I turned the power back on, 3 of the outlets and the switch worked, but 1 new outlet and all outlets in the next room (that were not touched) no longer work. I have replaced the outlet twice and cannot figure out what is going on. Please help!

Answers

This sounds like an older wiring system called a continuous loop. You have broken the loop. Go to the wall plug just before the one that isn't working. Check your connections and make sure the wires are secure and one hasn't come loose. In a continuous loop the wires for the next outlet will attach to this outlet. You have a short or a wire not making contact.

The four outlets in one room have stopped working. The related breaker did not trip. When I turn it off and on again, nothing happens. Should I replace the breaker?

By Paul from Campobello, SC

Answers:

Electrical Outlets Stopped Working

It could be your breaker is bad. That is an unusual thing to happen but not impossible. If you know how to replace the breaker yourself that would be the cheapest way to find out if it is the breaker.

If you don't know what you're doing and have never done it before, call a friend or relative that knows how or get an electrician.

Just to be safe. (12/04/2010)

By Suntydt

Electrical Outlets Stopped Working

Something else to consider. Is the circuit on a GFI ? There may be a ground fault outlet in that circuit. Is it on an outside wall ? Does it have a wall common with the garage? GFI outlets can be tested right at the outlet. They have a test button and a reset button on them. (12/05/2010)

By rygobus

Electrical Outlets Stopped Working

I agree with rygobus. I had this happen to me and it was a GFI outlet that was the culprit. That is the first thing I would check. I had outlets from several different rooms that were on the same circuit, I reset the GFI outlet and they all worked. If that doesn't work, get an electrician. Don't put yourself in harms way with electricity. (12/26/2010)

By sleepygrandma