Microwave Trips Breaker

A microwave in a kitchen.
There can be numerous causes for a microwave to trip a breaker. If the circuit is being overloaded it could be due to other appliances on the same circuit drawing too much power. It is often best for a microwave to have a dedicated circuit.

Our microwave continuously trips every time we use it. The outlet that it's plugged into is a 15 amp outlet. I think I need to switch the outlet to a 20 amp outlet, but the switch on the breaker panel that always trips says 15.

Can I still switch the outlet from 15 to 20? What else do I need to do?

Answers

Best Answer

Microwaves need a dedicated circuit. If you don't know what you are doing, get a qualified electrician.

Best Answer

There is probably something else on the same line that is either running all the time or starts up some of the time when you are using your microwave.

Try to figure out what is running at the same time- notice what other appliance cuts off when the microwave trips.

There are usually more than one lines in a kitchen so try moving it to another plug to see if the same thing happens (or even try it in another room).

Changing from 15 to 20 is probably not a safe idea.

My microwave oven trips the breaker when it cycles. The repairman said, that LG told him, that because the stove clock is on the same line, it could cause interference that'd trip the breaker. The breaker is 20 amp, and the microwave is rated at 14 amps.

I think this is insane. Is it posible the black and white wires feeding the outlet are reversed, causing interference that could trip the breaker? My idea sounds more plausible. The microwave's switches and circuit panel have been replaced. Thank you for your thoughts.

By Jim

Answers

Best Answer

This seems an obvious question, but have you checked what else is on the circuit with the microwave? In my house, I have a TV and all its associated machines, a Roomba, the Christmas lights (only at Christmas), the fridge, the toaster, the coffee maker, and the microwave all on the one circuit! It is insane. I am hoping to get an electrician to add another circuit or two to the panel. Maybe you have a bunch of other stuff on the circuit. The microwave is what would trip the breaker, but, of course, if everything else was not running, it didn't. Microwaves draw a lot of power; I doubt that there is anything wrong with the machine.

My old microwave died and tripped the breaker. I bought a new microwave and now every time I start it the breaker trips. I exchanged that microwave for another new one, same thing. I have had our maintenance guy out to look at it and he can't figure it out. The crock-pot still works. Any ideas?

By jtowery from Jacksonville, NC

Answers

Best Answer

Sounds like the old microwave must have operated at a lower wattage than the new one, or the circuit is overloaded. You may need to add another breaker.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Kitchen AppliancesSeptember 4, 2019
🎃
🎂
🌻