Power Goes Out When Using Microwave

Category Electrical
If your power goes out when you turn on your microwave the breaker is getting overloaded. It is best to have an electrician look at the issue. This is a page about power goes out when using microwave.

When the microwave is on the power on one side of the house will go out. It is scary.

By Denise

Answers

Best Answer

Microwaves use a lot of power, and so the circuit must be overloaded when you use it. If it is tripping the breaker, there is nothing scarey about this. This is what breakers are supposed to do when there is an overload. Breakers do wear out, and perhaps you need to call an electrician to have this one replaced. How do you get the power back on, by the way? Is there another outlet that you can plug the microwave into? What else is on the circuit with the microwave? Can you unplug some other appliances or shut them off when you are using the microwave?

In my house, I had 5 outlets on one circuit, (fridge, TV, Sat. receiver, roomba, Xmas lights, microwave, VCR, coffee maker & toaster). My breaker would trip every time I was making coffee or toast and used the microwave. I had an electrician come in, replace the breaker (which was worn out), and put the fridge and the microwave on their own breakers. Problem solved.

In the short term, plug the microwave into a different outlet or make sure that there is nothing else using a lot of power that is on at the same time as you are using the microwave.

My washer, dryer, and microwave suddenly stopped working. I flipped the circuit breaker and still nothing. I ran an extension cord for the washer and dryer to outlets on the other side of the house and they are working fine now.

I moved the microwave to a new outlet and initially thought that plug was just out as well, but when I tried to plug it in again someplace else all of the things plugged in on that wall went out (TV, internet, cable box). I went down to hit the circuit breaker again to see if it would fix the problem and it didn't. So apparently the microwave was causing the problem to start with, but now I'm not completely sure of how to fix the problem and whether or not it's something I can do or if I need to call a professional.

Answers

Your microwave uses a lot of power. It should have its own outlet.

You might have damaged the outlet. It is time to call in a professional if resetting the breaker didnt work.

My mother had the same issue and the electrician told her that she could not use her microwave with some of the outlets in the house due to age and incompatibility. He rewired a whole area in her kitchen just so it could be used without issues.

Thank you so much!

Is your microwave outdated?

It's only about 4 years old

My microwave trips the power in my home every time that I use it. I verify that there is nothing else plugged in or in use at the time that the microwave is being used, but the power goes completely out after only 15 seconds of use.

What can be causing this?

Answers

You may have to upgrade your electric or get a dedicated line just for the microwave.

Has this always happened or just recently? The microwave may be malfunctioning.

You need a dedicated circuit for your microwave.

I had this problem with my old microwave and it turned out to be the microwave was on its way out. The final pop and smoke sent it out the door fast. Does anything else in the plug cause the power to trip off? If not, it that would point to the microwave.

If other things trip it, then it is time to call in an electrician to check it out. Unless you are a pro, I never recommend people play with electricity themselves. Too dangerous and too many ways things can go bad fast!

Wishing you an easy and quick fix.

There can be numerous causes for a microwave to trip a breaker. If the circuit is being overloaded it could be due to other appliances on the same circuit drawing too much power.

A microwave in a kitchen.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair Home ElectricalJanuary 3, 2017
🎃