GFCI Outlets Not Working

Category Electrical
If your Ground-fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlet is not working, you may need to contact an electrician to repair it. This is a guide about GFCI outlets not working.

Determining the cause of a malfunctioning GFCI outlet may require some sleuthing. This is a guide about GFCI outlet keeps tripping.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

The lights in my kitchen are working, but the GFCI doesn't. I tried to reset the breakers, but still no power in the kitchen outlets. What can it be?

By Eddie H.

Answers

Best Answer

GFCI receptacles can be daisy chained to standard receptacles and protect them the same as a GFCI (if installed correctly). The standard receptacles should be labelled as GFCI protected. The first receptacle in the daisy chain must be the GFCI type and the reset button on that receptacle should restore power.

Unplug everything in the area before resetting, because an appliance could have a GFCI fault and immediatley retrip your attempt at resetting. If this does not work. The first receptacle in the chain will probably need to be replaced.

Should the light be yellow or red if the GFCI outlet is working?

Answers

An amber light means it's nearing the end of its life. As it gets closer to the end it turns red.

Here is an excellent guide and facts about your GFCI outlet. This shows you the status and color combinations of your GFCI outlet.
http://home.lev  indicator-light/

I think there is a lot of differences of opinion as to what (if any) the lights mean on a GFCI. The most important thing is - does it reset properly? If not then there is probably a problem and needs to be checked out (by an electrician if possible) or replaced. Most DIY people can replace a GFCI if all directions are followed (to the T!).

Here is an interesting discussion and it is a site that you can also ask questions (for free).

http://www.doit  gfci-outlet.html

I have a electrical two socket plug in my bathroom. All the plugs in the bathrooms are on a GF breaker switch in the electrical control box. The bottom socket only has developed a strange issue. If I plug a hair dryer all the way into the plug it stops working. If I then pull it out about 1/16 inch it works. I have purchased a brand new hair dryer, but the same issue is there. I have changed out to a new plug, but the issue is still there. So it has to be something in the wiring? Any ideas how to fix?

Answers

I would get a new GFCI outlet

Sometimes it's worth the extra money to call in a professional and electricity is one of those times for me. It does sound like you are handy, so if you are confident to keep fussing with things, you can keep trying to replace outlets and check wires.

I just worry because we had two houses in our town burn down from diy electrical projects. I am all about safety first! Sorry to be a Debbie downer. Good luck!

I have a GFCI kitchen outlet that water got into and was tripped. It is connected to 3 other kitchen outlets that are not working as a result of the water. My husband replaced the GFCI outlet (a green light is on), but none of the outlets will work. Does anyone have suggestions. Thank you.

By Sharon

Answers

Did you also check the breaker box as well?

A kitchen outlet was changed to a surge protection outlet with light indicator by a licensed electrician less than a year ago. The outlet will not work and the light indicator is still on. I hit the test and reset and finally the light went back on, but trying to use a toaster or electric can opener on this outlet will not work still. Could it be the circuit breaker even though the light indicator is on?

I hate to have to shut off all the breakers and put it all back on due to it not being labeled. Could a wire inside have gotten loose? Any idea? I would hate to get charged a lot again when I had this done recently. I remember the electrician said it is tight in this box. Thanks

By Barbara

My gfci outlet is not working. The the top button is not tripped, the light is off and reset button will not work. It is only 1 year one old and installed by an electrician. Any ideas?

By Mary B.