Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
I came home tonight and put a load of clothes in the dryer. The garage door light and interior house lights all flickered and went dim, then came up. I turned on the microwave and it began slowing down and got dim. I turned off all the breakers and back on. None of the breakers were tripped and it did not solve the issue. All outlets appear to be fine and this is the first time this has happened.
So I am staying up because I am afraid of fire, I am not turning the dryer back on, and unplugged the microwave etc. from the kitchen. I will call the landlord in the am to have an electrician come out. Any thoughts on why this happened? I've lived here 6 years.
Why don't you phone your neighbours and see if there power is also acting up. It could be your home, in which case the electrician is the right call. Or, it might be some sort of system wide malfunction, which has nothing to do with your house, and which will be fixed by your hydro provider.
I recently purchased a home and it looks like the basement was finished by the owner after it was built. In the basement only, not upstairs, the lights and lamps start at regular brightness when turned on, then dim down to about 1/2 about a minute later, without other loads being turned on.
Something must be wired wrong somewhere. There are a couple dozen outlets, 2 overhead lights, over a dozen cans, and a ceiling fan/light with remote control. Possibly related, a GFCI upstairs trips daily, after being replaced twice, with just 2 small items on the circuit.
By Bob W
It seems as if it is time to call in an electrician, as obviously the previous owner did the work himself and didn't know what he was doing. Don't fool around with this - call in someone who is trained to fix this for you. Electrical issues can cause housefires.