Power Only Works When Stove is On

Category Electrical
An electric stove turned on.
Troubleshooting unusual electrical problems can be difficult for a homeowner. This is a guide about power only works when stove on.

Lights and outlets in some parts of the house won't work unless the stove/oven is turned on. Any idea what would cause this and how serious of an issue it is?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Best Answer

An electrician can fix this for you.

It sounds as though you have a 4 wire stove (neutral and ground go to stove), other loads are on the same circuit, and the neutral wire is open.

Two hot wires going to the stove, typically red and black will measure 240 volts between them. There should also be a white wire, a neutral, which when measured to the red or black should be 120 volts each.

If the white wire is broken or disconnected between the power panel and the stove receptacle the red and black will still measure 240 volts between them but you will lose the 120 volt when measuring to the neutral (0 volts).

When the stove is turned on, it will place a load between the hot wires which will cause a voltage to be present between the hot and neutral wires, allowing your other devices to work. The voltage present to the other loads may or may not be 120 volts causing lamps to burn bright or dim.

If you intend on using the stove and these lights and outlets, this should be fixed quickly. The voltage present could damage connected devices.

If this were my home, I would call an electrician right away, and get it fixed.

I am experiencing the same problem. This morning when I turned my stove off the lights and the fridge went off. When I turned the stove back on, the lights came on. The stove top will only get warm when I turn it on but not hot.