Cooking When the Power Goes Out

Category Power Outage
Inclement weather often results in power outages. One inconvenience of the loss of power is that cooking may be impossible. This is a guide about cooking when the power goes out.

Save your valuable cooking fuel for winter or emergencies. I saw Polish sausage marked down today to $1 each (from over $3.50) so got one and can cooked it with a pack of beef wieners with a few drops of Worcestershire sauce.

Can Cooking on the Deadwood Stove

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

I am moving into a home thats total electric which means my stove is electric. Any advice on what I could use as an alternative to the stove for cooking if the electric is out during inclement weather?

Onesummer from GA

Answers

You can use a camp stove, a gas grill, or a charcoal grill OUTSIDE ONLY - NOT EVEN IN THE GARAGE - IT MUST BE AN OPEN AREA!!
After Katrina, I used my gas grill for over a week - to make coffee, heat canned foods, etc. I've also done the same thing after an ice storm. It was a lifesaver!

I agree with the grill suggestion. You'll also want to have a cast-iron pan to cook in: a grill may get too hot for some cookware.

Grill or camp stove is right on advice as is the suggestion about using a cast-iron pan. I found a set of nested castiron skillets at a garage sale for super cheap because they were in really bad shape, but after some elbow grease, these beauties are back in use just specifically for when we have a power outage. Just make sure they are not cracked before you buy them if purchased at a garage or tag sale.

My house is also all electric and I agree with using a gas grill, only outside, if power goes out. I have a roofed over patio and it is at the end of it by the side garden so it is safe and have even used it during the winter, even if my power isn't out. Nice to barbeque and watch the snow fall lightly.

Anyway, thanks for the tip about the cast iron skillets for other than just putting meat, chicken, etc on the grill. Never thought of that.

LI Roe

Consider buying a gas (propane) BBQ grill with a side burner. We used ours when we lost power in Alaska. Admittedly that sometimes meant cooking in a rain slicker or down jacket, but it worked.

Hope that helps!

Oh MY!! Did you strike a chord!!! Our power went out just before Christmas last year and was out for four days. The temp went to 10 below on Christmas eve and it was just about as cold as I EVER want to be. If you are out in the country, don't forget that your pump for water is electric, too, and you won't get water for drinking, washing anything....or worst of all....flushing!!! Make sure you stock up on bottled water for drinking and cooking. I usually have several gallons on hand. Just buy the cheap stuff at Walmart and put it in the garage or basement You won't regret it. I also fill 4 or 5 of the pickle buckets with the lids (try fast food places or bulk food stores) to keep water for flushing and any washing...anything but human consumption. I think that not enough water is just about the worst thing about power outage, We also had a power line down across our driveway, so no one could get in or out for the duration. We couldn't leave because we had several pets and about 30 chickens that would have died if we had left without some sort of heat for them.

If you get power out in the winter or when it is raining, a nice fondue pot that uses sterno is very handy. I even made coffee in my fondue pot. I fixed vegetable soup and hot dogs the first night.
A fireplace is a real boon in the cooler times. I made a "stove" by upturning a large bowl and upturning a large iron skillet...I used the BOTTOM of the skillet as I would the top of a stove. For hotter, I pushed the skillet into the fire and used another skillet or a pot on top. To simmer, I pulled the large skillet out a bit. On Christmas day that year, I made sausage and the BEST french toast on that fireplace stove. Later that day, I made probably the best gumbo I ever tasted. Just started to simmer water and chicken, onion, garlic, green peppers, canned tomatoes, Cajun seasoning, and ended up with brown and serve sausage and rice at the end. Our son came up with the idea to think of five things to be thankful for on Christmas, even without electric. We had no problem!!! For more ideas, just email me at jonminard AT ecr.net

If a gas grill is too expensive just to have around in case of power outage you can use a charcoal grill or Hibachi. Also for outdoors but can be used just inside the (open) garage door. My mother had to do this for 10 days after hurricane Carol in 1953

I second a camp stove, but if you don't have one, they are expensive. try the after summer sales or go to camping stores and buy the little portable can stove/heaters.

another thing you could use is the top of a wood burning stove. you can put a pot of soup on top in morning and cook all day , contain heat by covering pan with lid.
and remember if the power is out and it is cold outside you can put refrigerated items on the porch inside something water and critter proof.

we too were all electric, but we bought a gas range earlier this yr when income tax return time came , so now we not only can cook but also can use the oven for heat if the power goes out. which was our intention.

good luck
brenda-ohio