Emergency Lighting for Power Outages

If you use those little solar lights outside, they can come in handy during a power outage at night. Bring them inside and you have light, then take them back out in the morning to recharge. They may be safer than candles and won't provide heat in the summer.

By Debby Tangblade from Lee's Summit, Missouri

13 More Solutions

Whenever we have a power outage, instead of candles, I use battery powered lights. You can buy battery powered lanterns, flashlights of course, and battery powered push lights. I have a push light for every room in the house.

Another idea for power outages: I buy those touch lights. They are battery operated, and you press them to get a soft glow. Often they are used for night lights or inside closets.

Buy a couple of "headlamps". They are small flashlights attached to an elastic band to wear around your forehead - think miner's lamps. I bought mine at Home Depot.

As I was stumbling through the dark looking for the first light switch on my way through the house, I realized that my cell phone was still lit. It was amazing how helpful that little thing was in providing just enough light.

When services can be interrupted, it's scary to not be able to see what you are doing. In Dec of 2018, my senior community lost power from 1am to 11am. We were cold and without a way to even have a coffee. Too many of us are in that stage where we fall easy enough in the daytime.

A Dollar Store lantern hung near a bed.

I keep large flashlights in every room. The kind that take the great big batteries. When the lights go out, I turn one on in the room that I am in.

This tip is for hurricane season. Use the solar lights that you have in your yard or garden for light at night if you are with out electricity after the storm.

Just crack a glow bracelet open and hang it on your little one's door knob. This way, if the electricity goes out during the night, your child will still be able to find their way to their door and then will be able to use the glow bracelet as a little flashlight.

Before you have a power outage or a tornado warning, buy several disposable LED book lights at the Dollar Store. They are great for kids because they easily clip on to a book or to your coat or shirt.

There are occasions when we have power outages and we use oil lamps and candles for lighting. I use tealights in clear or frosted glass mugs.

When the lights goes out in your home do you prefer using candles or flashlights? Is it safe to leave batteries in a flashlight for a long time?

By Onesummer

Answers

Best Answer

The only kind of candles I ever use are the battery operated ones. If there is a chance of a power outage (when there is a possibility of heavy storms) I put one in my bathroom and turn it on when I go to bed. That puts out enough light, so that in case of a power outage, I can see to get hold of the flashlight in my bedroom. The only thing about leaving batteries in a flashlight or anything else is to check every now and then to make sure they aren't leaking any acid. The reason I use the battery powered candles is because I feel they are safer than regular candles in case a person would go to sleep while they are on.

Best Answer

Our electricity goes out frequently, especially if we have a storm with a lot of wind. I purchased 2 oil lamps about 50 years ago and we are still using them. We keep flashlights handy all of the time.

Best Answer

I keep a L.L. Bean crank flashlight by the bed. Candles and oil lamps I use as stationary lights - not ones to carry around. We plan to invest in a generator later this summer. This is an option you might consider if power outages are frequent and/or long lasting.

Answer this Question

We had a power outage last night for about an hour. I told DH to turn off the battery powered items and just keep the candles on as we had no way of knowing how long the outage would last. So far, so good.

Then two things happened: I took a candle with a lamp shade (this was, I discovered, just for looks) and that seemed to contain too much light within its shade, so that I tripped over something in the dark and almost toppled the candle on to the carpeting. Fortunately, I righted the candle in the nick of time and did not set the house on fire. Very scary. Threw this shade in the garbage. Never want to use it again!

The second, was when DH opened the door to go outside, almost all the candles blew out. Had we been in pitch darkness, this would have presented a problem. So, my question is what kind of a candle holder can a person use to walk around the house for path lighting and what kinds of shades or shaded holders will keep a candle from blowing out with a tiny breeze?

Thanks!

Holly from Richardson, TX

Answers

Holly
Why not look into the little LED battery candles -you can usually find them at craft stores. They look like a little hockey puck with a plastic LED 'flame' and use a battery like a watch battery. They are supposed to last 50 hours or more. Those would be much safer than a lit candle and should shed enough light to walk around.

You can also get crank flashlights that get their power by cranking a handle a few times - when the power starts to dim, just crank it again. Those too are much safer than flames.

How about those rechargable flashlights? Those are the ones you have to shake to get the light to come on. The charge on a few shakes lasts a long time.
What about those lattern type candle holders? You place the candle inside the glass enclosed lattern. The door even locks so as if there is a issue with the lamp falling over, the candle will not fall out.

By suzin (Guest Post)

I use the candle holder that has a glass chimney, the kind of chimney that was used on oil lamps in olden times. I also have several of the old oil lamps with the chimneys. Another solution we used when the power went off is to have the white solar lamps outside. When the lights go out at night, just bring a couple of them in. The white solar lights are the brightest I hear.

I have flashlights and a supply of batteries, both rechargable flashlights and regular ones. I also have a small battery powered lantern that I have used with power outages. Even though I have tons of scented candles that I use almost every day, I have found that it is more stressful to try and light candles (not just scented candles) in the dark so flashlights are the way to go. Too much danger of toppling them over in the dark.

LI Roe

By Phyllis (Guest Post)

I was in the dark for over 9 hours one night due to a lightening strike that knocked our power out. I was using the candles and the battery powered lights as well and thought there had to be a better way. I opened the front door and saw my solution. My cheapie solar walkway lights I had purchased for less than $3 a piece. The came right off the posts they were stuck in the ground with and I brought them inside to use. I turned them upside down and they sat perfectly like that on the solar charger top. No fire hazard and they didn't create more heat during an already hot night. They worked great! Charged by the sun during the day... and ready to use any night they are needed!

Attach a regular light to a bright colored Gatorade or other energy drink to amplify it as an impromptu lantern. This is a page about making a emergency light from a sports drink.

A sports drink with a light behind it, making a lantern.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Emergency Power OutageOctober 16, 2015
🎃
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Emergency-Lighting-for-Power-Outages.html