Use Battery Lights Instead of Candles For Power Outages

Whenever we have a power outage, instead of candles, I use battery powered lights. You can buy battery powered lanterns, flashlights of course, and battery powered push lights. I have a push light for every room in the house. I keep 6 battery powered lanterns, and I don't even know how many flashlights I have. Plus I have one of those 2 million candlewatt lanterns, too. I use that for reading.

I put one push light in each room right next to the door. That way, upon entering a room, all we have to do is tap the light and we have just enough light to maneuver in the room.

For normal battery use around the house, we use rechargeable batteries, but for the lanterns, push lights, and 2 million CW lantern, we use non-rechargeable. I keep 3 sets of batteries for each, and replace them once a year. This way I always know we have good batteries for power outages.

I keep all these lights in one specific cabinet all together along with all the batteries. One flashlight is kept with these, and the others are all kept in a more handy place.

I also have a battery powered DVD player, and a small battery powered TV. Also a battery powered radio. These are all kept with 3 sets of batteries in a specific cabinet of the entertainment center.

For heat, I have a large round kerosene heater. I always keep foods on hand that need no heating or cooking,

I don't use any flame type candles because I have pets and don't want to chance them getting too close or knocking them over. Even without the pets, it's real easy for people to accidentally knock one over too.

Also, next to each chair, bed, and in the kitchen, I keep a small pen light. This way I have it handy to grab and it gives out just enough light so I don't trip over furniture or animals on the way to the lantern cabinet. Speaking of which, on the lantern cabinet I attached a glow-in-the-dark decal to the front of the cabinet. This way I can see it in the dark.

With all these things though, I never have to worry if the lights go out.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

I love my candles. They give off heat and in my area rechargeable batteries cost a lot. I have a oil lamp and candles. I have a small radio that runs on a battery. We use this time to talk, read or play games. I love it when we lose power for a short time because it gives us time to spend together because my children are older and we all have different schedules and we are gone alot. When I use all my candles my neighbors think I have power. You do have to be careful with candles but I use them a lot just because so I am careful with them.

We have battery candles that are placed on the floor so we can see Buddy (our dog) at night. He sometimes wonders and just lays down anywhere. Also after he was attacked and lost sight in one eye I have put a battery powered candle right at his water dish so it helps him at night. They are easy to turn off and also have a sensor that turns them off with enough light during the day. We use a solar light for the hallway. GG Vi

Here is the Kitty Solar light in the hallway.
GG Vi

I used a headlamp, a flashlight worn around my head during a power outage. I could read by flashlight, and if I didn't need it for reading, I put the light down on the book shelf and provided light for the room.