Air Conditioner Keeps Tripping Breaker

Category Electrical

Electrical breakers are a safety device designed to keep your home and appliances safe in the event of electrical overloads. Air conditioning units are a common cause of a breaker tripping. This guide is about when an AC unit trips the breaker.

Recently I transferred a window AC from my aunt's room to my room. Before I decided to put it in my room I decided to clean it with the jet water, then after drying it out, we placed it in my room. When switching it on, the whole house tripped.

We suspect it didn't get dry enough so the next day we dried it outside, and after placing it in place the same problem occurred. My question is, if that window air conditioner still can be used or it's a piece of scrap metal now. Please help, thank you.

By Azix

Answers

What part did you get wet? If you got the inside or the electrical components wet, then yes, it is now unsafe to use.

I had something like that happen too, I would just have the air conditioner on its own circuit and then you won't have any more trouble.

I live in a 3 bedroom, 1985 single-wide trailer. I have a 15,000 (?) BTU window A/C in the living room and a smaller 5,000 BTU window A/C in the master bedroom. If I try to have them on at the same time it flips a breaker that seems to control the wall that the A/C is on in the living room and everything in my bedroom.

Do I need to just move the window A/C across the living room to another wall or is there a way I can keep it where it is and not have the breaker flip when I want to have both A/Cs on. They both use standard plugs. I'm guessing that's a 110 plug?

By Jorja C.

Answers

From your description, it seems to me that both of these units are on the same breaker. A simple fix will be to run an extension cord from some other plug in to one of the AC units. (I'd suggest the one in the living room, as there should be more available plug ins that are on different breakers.) Then they will be running on different breakers, and you should be able to have them both on at the same time. AC units take quite a bit of power, and having them both on the same circuit overloads it, and trips the breaker. Simply plug one into a different circuit, and your problem should be solved.

Check your circuit box. You may not have enough amps being routed into your home. Actually, this is a job for a professional and the cost of installing a bigger box on a single-wide is hideous (ask me how I know this:).

Best thing to do is understand that running the window unit at the same time as just about anything else on that circuit is going to trip the breaker because that circuit can only safely run a certain amount of amps-watts at a time. Even something as small as a table lamp on the same circuit as your AC unit is going to cause a 'fail'.

Learn how to 'map your circuits' and read the wattage requirements on a power cord at this site:

http://homerepa  nat_elec_pnl.htm

http://construc  iring-Basics.htm

http://www.netp  cal-circuits.htm

I just got home from vacation. When I flipped the AC back on I noticed no cool air was circulating. I changed the battery to the control box and checked the condenser, it was not running. I found the breaker had tripped off.

After flipping the breaker back on within 3 minutes it trips off again and continues to do so each time. It's almost 90 in the house and I am melting. The AC is on it's own breaker and this has never happened before.

By Deb

Answers

I had to replaced a breaker that was labeled air conditoning just last month. Mine was worn out on one side of the wiring and only 120 entered the house instead of 220 volts and therefore my air came out hot. It cost me five dollars for a new breaker and soon as it was installed the air worked fine again. Don't know if that is your problem but you might want to check that out too. Breakers don't last forever they do need replacing when worn.

Mine used to trip every so often too, especially on really hot days when it would be running almost constantly. When it tripped it also cut the TV, my Roomba vacuum, and a fan I use to help circulate the a/c air (my a/c is a window unit). I tried moving the TV, Roomba, and the fan all to sockets that weren't effected with that breaker so that the a/c is the only thing on that breaker. So far it ahs seemed to help. It hasn't tripped since!

My AC power cord keeps triping off. I can't turn it on.