Dishwasher Tripping a Circuit Breaker

Category Electrical
It is frustrating when trying to run your dishwasher repeatedly trips the breaker. Troubleshooting the cause can be daunting. This is a guide about dishwasher tripping a circuit breaker.

My circuit beaker keeps tripping on my dishwasher, garbage disposal, and light above sink. I changed the breaker and light switches and it still won't turn on help?

By ann Cohn from Greenville, SC

Answers

Best Answer

You should really buy a continuity tester.Just a starting point.

1. Make sure power is off at each item with a volt meter before working on them.

2. Disconnect each appliance completely from the circuit.

3. Then check first for continuity from the black wire to the green wire/frame of the appliance. If you have continuity to ground from the black of an appliance that's your puppy.

If you don't no how to use a tester, I would say this job is not for you and you should call a pro.

I have a Frigidaire dishwasher, model FFBD2407LB0B. We have been running it for several years with no issues. Now, when the cycle begins, the electrical breaker trips off. After resetting and starting again, it trips again.

I pulled the washer out from under the counter top and all the wires look good.

Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

Normally when a breaker trips like this the circuit is overloaded.

1. What is on this circuit?
  2. Is there any new appliances that have been recently added to the circuit?
  3. Have you tried to unplug everything off the circuit and run the dishwasher?
  4. Afterwards, you can start to plug in one item at a time to see what is tripping the circuit.
  5. You might need a larger circuit breaker for a larger load.
  6. You first need to determine what is on this circuit that causes it to trip when you run the dishwasher. The only way to do this is to start with everything that is plugged into the circuit. You can start to unplug each outlet one at a time until the circuit no longer trips.
  7. Ad

8. If you can't determine the problem I would suggest calling an electrician to come and help you install a larger circuit breaker in your home.

I have a dishwasher breaker problem. My dishwasher was replaced with a new unit because the old unit would trip the breaker. The new dishwasher is on a designated 20 amp circuit. The new washer would also would trip the breaker after about two minutes.

The name plate indicates the washer draws 1.5 amps. My clamp-on indicates 1.2 amps. I tried a 30 amp breaker just for a test and it also tripped. I disconnected both ends of the feed wire and checked for any shorts with a ohm meter. I found no shorts between black wire, white wire, and ground wire.

As a last resort I ran a romex cable directly from the dish washer to the main panel and hooked it up to the 20 amp. breaker. The washer ran a full cycle with no problem. I'm flabbergasted. Were could the temp short be?
With the ohm meter hooked between all three wires separately I tugged and wiggled the wire were the romex went through the clamps, but no short showed up. If there was a nail short it didn't indicate on the ohm meter?
Thanks.

Answers

I"'m no electrician but i have experienced this sort of thing before with an attic fan.We basicaly can't use it

the fact that when you hook it up to the main panel directly means it works lets me think there is something serioulsy wrong with the electricity between the panel and wherever you hook up the dishwasher. You say you can't find the short but it is there somewhere and furthermore you should have that fixed because it could cause a fire hazard.

The circuit breaker for my dishwasher at my cabin keeps flipping off. The dishwasher is 10 years old and I thought maybe I needed a new dishwasher, but I am not sure. The circuit breaker was flipped back on and then it flipped off again over the next several days even without running the dishwasher. I do not think anything else is on the circuit and this only started happening in the last 2 months. When I was up there last I ran the dishwasher three times and there was no problem at all.

Do I need to have an electrician look at the circuit or do you think I really do need a new dishwasher? Thanks for any advice. I would hate to replace the dishwasher only to find out the problem has not been solved. The dishwasher works great.

Answers

If the breaker is tripping without running the dishwasher, then you need to look external to the dishwasher. An electrician could fix this for you.

Dishwasher End of Cable:
The electrical connection under the dishwasher could be seeing water and tripping the breaker. If this is the case, stopping the leak and drying it out will take care of your problem

Middle of Cable:
If the cable is bad in the middle, it is because something is damaging it. Possibly a varmint (racoon, rat , mouse, squirrel) has been chewing on the cable or the cable is run poorly - through a pinch point.

Breaker End of Cable:
This is the low probability end. A problem here would probably effect more than just the dishwasher.

Good Luck