No Power After Installing New Ceiling Fan

Category Electrical
Small electrical projects are often done by homeowners, but when there is an issue it can be difficult to determine the cause. This is a page about no power after installing new ceiling fan.

I am puzzled, I just installed a fan with light kit replacing an older fan that also had a light kit. The new fan worked for about 3 minutes then I lost power to that room. I reset the breaker in the breaker box and nothing, no power. So I took the fan down and disconnected all the wiring and reset the breaker again at the breaker box and still nothing, no power to the room. I must have tried it 10 more times nothing. About 30 minutes later I reset the breaker again and the power was back on. In the morning I rewired the fan and tried again and again no power and I can not restore power again to the bedroom. Help! What is going on, why is no power going to bedroom if I disconnect the fan?

Answers

Best Answer

A breaker can trip from a short circuit and be immediately reset when the fault is cleared.

A breaker can trip from and overload condition (such as 30 amps on a 20 amp breaker) and can be reset after the breaker has cooled down.

I would suspect there is something in the new installation causing an overload condition.

After installing a ceiling fan in one room, the lights do not work in 2 other rooms. Now what? The ceiling fan and light work well. There was an extra black wire in the box when uninstalling the original light fixture. Please advise.

Answers

That extra black wire might be necessary now that you have installed the new fixture. If you are unfamiliar with electricity get an electrician.

Home and Garden Repair Home ElectricalJanuary 4, 2017
🌻
😎
🐛
📓