Yardman Riding Mower Won't Start

Category Lawn Mowers
Riding lawn mowers can have issues starting, just like smaller push mowers. If your yardman riding mower won't start you may be able to fix it yourself.

When I started my Yardman 48" cut riding mower and engaged the blades, the blades wouldn't engage and the engine died. This happened a couple of times and now the engine won't start. There was some smoke that came from under the front of the deck. Now it will turn over for a second; then stop. There isn't anything between the blades, but they won't turn. What could be the problem? Any and all help appreciated. The mower was bought new in 2009 or 2010.

Answers

Best Answer

Check the belt(s) on your deck. Quite possibly they have seized a pulley or pulleys causing tractor to sputter and die. Also check the Deck safety switch to make sure it is not disconnected or clogged. It happens quite a lot, especially with someone who does not clean their deck after each use. Not saying that is the case here but have seen quite a bit of dirty decks.

I had it tuned up two years ago and was told the engine and machine was in great shape. However, when I went to start it this season, it will not crank over or make a grunt/noise. The battery is fully charged and it has fresh gas. I jumped the two wires going directly to the starter and got no response. Is there something else I can do before having to replace the starter?

By ELC

Answers

Best Answer

Check the fuses.

My Yardman riding mower with a 20 horse Briggs cranks, but will not start. It has good spark to both spark plugs. Comp. check good/values adjustment checked, and fuel shut off OK. I tried starting fluid and was wondering if the coil gaps could be wrong. I would like to know what air gaps should be on the coil packs. Or am I missing something else?

By BH

Answers

Best Answer

Loosen both bolts that holds the coil. Put a business card between the coil and flywheel. Tighten the bolds and turn the flywheel by hand to remove the business card.

I have a Yardman mower that is not a year old yet. It will not start. The motor turns freely, but won't engage. The last time it worked, when I cut it off it backfired. What could be the problem?

By Linda T

Answers

Best Answer

Have you checked the spark plug? There is also a sensor on the seat, that if you are not sitting down, it will not crank. Safety reason.

I have a MTD Yardman Yardbug riding lawn mower. It's a 8.5 hp engine, model: 13b-325-401, year: 2000. It will not start, I turn the key and it sounds like its trying to start, but the belts underneath the engine won't move. They try to slightly, but then stop and nothing happens. And no sound at all. What could be the problem? Thanks!

PS. I just bought it from a friend and it was running fine for a few weeks and cutting the lawn. But I haven't used it in 2 or 3 weeks and now it is doing this and not turning on.

By Cory

I was on my 38/145 MTD Yardman rideon when it stalled. Tthen there was a loud bang and now I can't get it to start. Do you know what this could possibly be please?

By Dani

How do I fix my 15 hp Yardman riding mower? When I turned the key it tried to start. It would turn over once then stop.
So I started getting into it and I came across a red wire hooked under the carburetor that was nicked by the starter. I cut it and twisted it together then tried to turn it on. The same thing happened.

Then I traced the black wire to the coil and it ran under the engine where there was a connector (still the black wire). I took it apart and put it back together. Now there is no power when I turn the key.

By Sunny

Answers:

Yardman Riding Mower Won't Start

Sounds like you grounded out a hot wire. Just because it's black, you can't assume it's a ground wire. This is why they have wiring diagrams. Unhook the last wire you tied together and check your fuse. Either you have a bad starter, or a bad battery. Not enough cranking amps for the starter. (09/16/2010)

By revravyid