Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a Craftsman automatic 42" cut Koehler Pro 16.5 ohm, (S.s# 052000b007775/ Mod # 917.271141). I can not get it to start! I replaced the battery, spark plug, air filter, oil, and oil filter. When I turn the key nothing happens except a faint click. The mower worked last summer without any problems. I'm not quite sure what to look into next. The starter?

Best Answer

Did you check your carburetor? I had the same problem with my push mower and did all the things you did but it still would not start and a friend told me to check the carburetor. Took it apart and saw a little sludge on the bottom that was plugging the hole in the carburetor screw. Cleaned it out, put it back together and it started right up. The thing I learned from this was to run the mower until there is no more gas for it to run after the season is over. And to always put gas stabilizer additive in new gas to also help prevent this problem.

Have you looked at the mower's switch that the key goes into, perhaps it is the starter?

Second thought.....does the mower have a battery? is it charged if it does. And if that is ok...then it must be the starter.

Anonymous

Put new starter in

Anonymous

The problem is the solenoid is bad or something is not connect properly. Try charging your battery but it should have been already charged because you said you bought a new one

Anonymous

My tractor would not crank even with a fully charged battery. I took out the spark plug and it cranked great. A friend suggested that the cylinder was "loading up" with fuel from carburetor. I put in an in line fuel shut off (about $10.00) and it solved the problem.

Now, I think I have a problem with the seat safety switch. When I jump direct from battery to the starter the engine starts right up!! How do I disable the seat switch?

Anonymous

Flot needle and seat stuck in carburetor due to gas drying up in carb. after seting up for long time. remove bowel, free flote & needle valv. replace bowel.

use jump cables from battery to starter black on neg.battery then black to any good ground on mower red to pos.on battery and red to starter if it cranks its your selonid

jump the solenoid with a screwdriver and see what happens. If it turns it's your solenoid that is shot