Murray Riding Lawnmower Won't Start

I have a Murray 42 inch/14.5 hp tractor riding mower. I replaced the battery and spark plug, but still will not start.

By Nathaniel from Bossier City, LA

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Check the gear on the starter. I think it's stuck. I was having problems with mine.

Hi you have to check the safety switch and the stater solenoid. Sometimes is the safety switch is not sending the signal to start or the starter solenoid is bad. Let me know if that works.

Hello,

My neighbor has a Murray 12hp riding mower that he bought used. It ran fine when he brought it home but now all of a sudden it won't start. Nothing happens when you turn the key... dead silence. The wires seem to be connected properly and the battery has juice. Any ideas?

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

April 13, 2011 Flag

I have a Murray riding mower with a 20 hp Briggs and Stratton engine and a 42 inch deck. It doesn't seem to be charging right. I've put in a new battery and still have to jump it off. The last time jumping off didn't work either.

By Scott from NC

March 27, 2010 Flag

I have a Murray riding mower that won't start. It is not getting a spark. I have sanded the fly wheel and the magnets, but no luck. The wires look okay. Any help would be great. Thanks.

By phoneman from Roanoke, VA

Answers:

Murray Riding Lawnmower Won't Start

Have you tried replacing the spark plug? (05/12/2009)

By Mary T

Murray Riding Lawnmower Won't Start

Just bought one at a garage sale with the same problem. The seat switch was not working so I unplugged it under the seat and pried the connectors apart inside the plug so that they do not touch each other. The other problem it had was it was not getting a good ground connection at the starter, so I connected an additional ground wire from the ground post on the battery to the bolt in the frame near the engine where all the other green ground wires are connected.

A fast and easy way to test this is to hook up a jumper cable to the negative battery post and hook the other end to the bolt in the frame near the engine where all the green wires are connected. (05/19/2009)

By Trevor

May 12, 2009 Flag

We have a Murray 14.2 HP 42 in. riding mower. It has run quite well for two years.
While cutting today I stopped to move debris, putting the mower in Neutral but inadvertently not disengaging the cutting blades so when I stepped off, the mower shut down like it's supposed to do. The problem is, now it will not start/won't turn over. I just hear a tiny click when the key is turned to start. Is there a "Kill" switch that has to be released or some other problem? Many thanks.

Dave

Answers:

Murray Riding Lawnmower Won't Turn Over

Mine does the same thing. I have learned it's the battery. Take the old battery to WalMart as core & get a new one. Take it home & put it back, keep your warranty information for future needs. You'll be surprised. Like I said my mower does the same thing, don't bother charging, it only costs about $25 for a new one. (09/04/2008)

By Piwacket

Murray Riding Lawnmower Won't Turn Over

My hubby had the same problems, it was the battery also. At times it still won't start good if he gets off to move anything, so he tied the seat down using bungee cords, and no more problems. (09/05/2008)

By busybeaver87

September 4, 2008 Flag

My Murray riding lawnmower won't turn over. I tried charging the battery at 2 amps with no luck. Any other ideas as to what might be wrong?

Stacey from Charlotte, NC

Answers:

Murray Riding Lawnmower Won't Turn Over

If the battery is over 2 yrs. old it's probably bad. A 12 volt battery must be charged about 3 days at 2 amps. The battery can be checked at an Auto Supply like O'Reilly's for free. Also a Murray has a 15 amp fuse called an in-line fuse (Buss ATC) that goes in the line from the switch to the solenoid. The starter solenoid could be bad. (09/05/2007)

By Cindy in Texas

Murray Riding Lawnmower Won't Turn Over

Your battery cables could be corroded and won't let the power come through, or your synoid switch can be burnt out. Take your battery cables off and clean them with sandpaper or a wire brush. Re-hook them back and try.

If your synoid switch is burnt up, it won't turn over or make much of a noise. You can take a wire from the battery to the starter to see if this is your problem. If so, Lowe's or a yard tractor place sells replacements. (09/11/2007)

By Crystal

Murray Riding Lawnmower Won't Turn Over

Clean your battery cables and make sure your deck is raised and the clutch pedal is down with gears in neutral.
If this doesn't work, then pull the cover over the gear shift in front of seat and jump across solenoid to see if it will work. If it does, your safety switch is bad or corroded. Either replace it or clean the terminals. Some people cut it out and by pass it all together. (09/15/2007)

By J Goss

Murray Riding Lawnmower Won't Turn Over

You might check your starter. Basically remove it, and sniff. If it is overwhelmingly burned smelling, try to find a repair shop or an OEM replacement. (09/17/2007)

By aNon

Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersApril 13, 2011
Lawnmower
Lawnmower Blade Won't Turn
Riding Lawnmower
Riding Lawnmower Will Not Shift Gears
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Craftsman Riding Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 7:55:18 AM on 10.0.1.152 in 726 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.