Lawn MowersMachines

Toro Riding Mower Won't Start

My 4 month old Toro riding mower died. It clicks when I turn the key, but the engine does not turn over. The gas is good. I jumped the battery with the same result. I put a trickle charger on it for 8 hours. Still the same. I think it is the solenoid or starter. How do I verify which? (or neither)

Best Answer

I would start with the lawnmower's safety switch under the seat. If the switch is engaged and set, then go to the starter. This should be an issue with the starter. Are you able to use a screwdriver and jump start the mower this way. Short out the solenoids and see if it will start.

There is a safety switch under the seat that prevents the motor from starting unless someone is sitting on it. It may be disabled or broken. I would start by looking at that.