Toro Riding Mower Won't Start?

My 4 month old Toro riding mower died. It clicks when I turn the key, but the engine does not turn over. The gas is good. I jumped the battery with the same result. I put a trickle charger on it for 8 hours. Still the same. I think it is the solenoid or starter. How do I verify which? (or neither)

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts
Best Answer

There is a safety switch under the seat that prevents the motor from starting unless someone is sitting on it. It may be disabled or broken. I would start by looking at that.

It still won't start new battery, gas it just won't start

Anonymous

I have a Troy bolt rider. If you run the side shoot into something, it has a kill switch. It's a pin that causes it to Stop.

Unscrew the shoot on the left, push pin in manually, replace cover. This happen often. Ready to super glue it!

Where is the saftely switch on a toro

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 105 Posts
Best Answer

I would start with the lawnmower's safety switch under the seat. If the switch is engaged and set, then go to the starter. This should be an issue with the starter.

Are you able to use a screwdriver and jump start the mower this way. Short out the solenoids and see if it will start.

Best Answer

If you hear a click, the starter solenoid (relay ) is operating.... The problem most likely is the starter.... But it could be the cable from the starter solenoid to the starter ( though not likely) or it could be the solenoid broken....again not likely....

Sometimes the starter drive pinion will stick in the flywheel and then the starter doesn't have the power to crank the engine. The starter motor must be spinning when the starter engages the flywheel. If the starter drive pinion is stuck in the flywheel it can be released by rotating the engine back and forth, by hand, a few degrees to relieve the bind in the starter.

Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersNovember 28, 2017
👔
🌻
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Toro-Riding-Mower-Wont-Start-2.html