Drilling Glass Blocks

Has anyone made glass block luminaries? If so, how do you drill the hole in the side of the glass block? Any tips?

Patricia from Stoney Creek, Ontario CA

Answers:

Help Drilling Glass Blocks

Pittsburgh Corning has just put a new glass block on the market. (DecorBloc) It comes in a maroon red box. There is a large hole in side of block and they also provide the insert to put in and also a hole in the insert for a plug for a coin bank or for the wire to come out of. The only thing is the price.

They are pricey. $12-$19.00 for large and $9-$13 for smaller one. Joann's, Michael's and some Home Depot stores have them. Also Rona in Canada. (10/22/2008)

By Patricia

Help Drilling Glass Blocks

(submitted via email)
Carrie, I know what you mean. It takes 5-10 minutes to drill one hole. Another tip is not to leave the blocks in the garage when it's cold. The glass is cold and then when you drill and the bit gets hot,
the glass cracks.

Try calling a local glass and mirror place and ask if they would drill the hole size you need. It would be worth it if they don't charge a fortune.

Patricia (10/24/2008)

By jess

Help Drilling Glass Blocks

I use a diamond tip 1- 3/8 hole bit. It is meant to drill a hole perfect for the night light size bulbs. I punch small holes in the lid of a 2 liter soda bottle and fill it with cool water. While my spouse drills the hole I drizzle water from the bottle on the bit. It only takes about 1 minute to do each block. (11/03/2008)

By Deanna

Help Drilling Glass Blocks

We were told to coat the area with liquid soap. It helps to keep the area cool and lubricated while drilling. My husband said that it did help. (01/28/2009)

By Tracey C.