Dry Mouth Remedies

Does anyone know a homemade solution to help with dry mouth? It's due to meds I must take. I am using Biotene Oral Balance which is OK, but only lasts a little while. The condition is awful, especially overnight, the roof of my mouth and tongue are all dry and parched.

Thank you,
Jdoyle

Answers:

Dry Mouth Remedies

There is something you can buy at drug stores. It's like an ointment, and you put a dab in the area of your mouth where the dryness is most problematic. I can't recall the name of this stuff, but it comes in a pink tube. It doesn't taste bad, and it's relatively inexpensive. Compared to many of the alternatives, I think it beats them hands down.

You can also talk to your dentist, and if you have dental insurance, there's stuff that they can give you to put in your mouth overnight. They fit you with a tray which is molded to the shape of your teeth, and you sleep with it in the same way that you would wear a mouth guard. Personally, I preferred the drug store stuff. The name of the ointment type stuff to which I referred earlier might be Orajel.

I have experienced the same problem, and used the stuff often. It's important that you find something that works well for you. A dry mouth is not merely an annoying problem; the consequences can be far more severe, and can include problems with increased cavities and tooth erosion. I hope this helps you. (07/10/2005)

By skbeal

Dry Mouth Remedies

I also have a dry mouth. I take a bottle of water to the bedside at night. One of the reasons for snoring is dry throat, too. I don't even need to sit up with a sipper type bottle. I wake several times a night to sip, and fall right back to sleep. (07/12/2005)

By Siris

Dry Mouth Remedies

You might want to try Breathe Right Nasal Strips. They help me a great deal. I also use Oral Balance. It is a very annoying problem. Try the Breathe Right Strips. Good Luck. (07/12/2005)

By Pat5617

Dry Mouth Remedies

May I suggest a way I found out by accident. Following a bout of urinary tract infection, I was using sachets of URAL powder. To see what it tasted like I dipped my finger into it, and tasted some. This brought the saliva flowing, consequently I now take a sachet with me at all times. One sachet can last for up to a month. (10/11/2006)

By Stella (South Australia)

Dry Mouth Remedies

I can't help other then to tell you the content of the sachet, as posted on the box.
It is made up of: sodium bicarbonate 1.75g, tartaric acid 890mg, citric acid anhyd 720mg, and sodium citrate anhyd 630mg. They are an effervescent granules. I it is not unlike sherbet to the taste. Hope this helps.
(10/14/2006)

By Stella (South Australia)

Dry Mouth Remedies

I always have some dry mouth and a root canal this year. Yikes, $ $ $. Then my very first bladder infection. My mouth was double dry with the meds. I normally drink tons of water. Be careful adding sugar or diet drinks to your teeth all day. Also be careful with lemon juice, they all have lots of acid that works on teeth enamel. The Dentist recommended sugarless gum with xylitol. Trident Tropical Twist is a great flavor. It works so fast that I put a half of the tiny stick of gum in my mouth and it doesn't look so obnoxious as some gum chewers. (08/04/2007)

By Kathy