Eliminating Pet Odor

We've recently decided to put our house on the market and have had a few comments about people being able to smell the cats when they walk into our home. Any ideas on how to curtail that odor while our house is on the market and our cats are here? The cats have not peed anywhere, but you can just smell that pet odor in the house.

By mommy123 from MN

Answers:

Eliminating Pet Odor

1. If you don't have covered litter boxes, get some. The cover contains a lot of the odor.
  2. Do you use the clumping litter? If not, start now and scoop the boxes every day.
  3. Keep the litter boxes super clean. I've noticed that my cats seem to aim their pee at the back of the box. Wiping that area of the box each time I scoop seems to help a lot.

4. Get some Odo-Ban (Sam's Club and Wal Mart both sell it). Spray everything in the house, carpets, furniture, beds, curtains, etc.
  5. I also bought one of those automatic air fresheners, the ones that spray a little fragrance every few minutes. I put it right next to the litter boxes.

6. Home Depot sells an air freshener spray that is designed for smokers, but I still use it even though I quit smoking. It's called Zep Smoke Odor Eliminator. (When I sold my house, I had been smoking in it for 16 years and the lady that bought the house had no idea that I smoked!)
Good luck! (09/30/2009)

By Southern Saver

Eliminating Pet Odor

Febreze works great. It even got rid of skunk odor when one sprayed just outside an open window. It took three applications, but it did the job. Set the pan outside just before the people come and maybe set a dish of warm vanilla where it was to help absorb the odor. (10/03/2009)

By takelababy