Fourth of July Berry Pie
It's easy to make a flag pattern with stars and stripes of dough when making a berry pie. This cute design makes it perfect for Independence Day.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I used blueberries since they are on sale. We love them anyway, but you can make the entire pie with strawberries or with a little corner of blueberries for the flag design. Either way it's a simple way to add some fun to your festivities!
Total Time: 70 minutes
Yield: one pie
- frozen deep dish pie crust
- 5 cups blueberries (fresh of frozen)
- 4 or 5 strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tsp corn starch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Mix the blueberries, sugar, corn starch, salt and cinnamon together in a bowl while the pie shells thaw out a bit.
- Pour the mixture into the unbaked pie shell and add lines of cut strawberry slices as shown.
- Place one unbaked pie shell onto a floured board and cut a few strips of pie dough.
- With a cardboard cut out star pattern or a star cookie cutter, cut out a few star shapes from the dough and lay them on top of the pie, flag style. I cut one teaspoon of butter on top of the mixture before placing the crust. Save the remaining dough in the freezer for future desserts, like an apple dumpling.
- Bake in the oven at 425 F for 50 minutes.
- Enjoy your 4th!
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.