Getting Red Dye Out of Clothes

Some nice shirts were washed with an item that leaked red dye.

The shirts have been kept moist by soaking in cool water, not dried, while we search for a solution. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Holly from Richardson, TX

Answers:

Getting Red Dye Out of Clothes

I had the same problem a while back. I posted here and the advice that worked best for me was to soak my white shirts in lemon juice. I ran the shirts through wash cycle, then left them to soak overnight. Next morning I ran them through full wash/rinse cycle and they were white again.
Hope this works for you. Good Luck (08/22/2007)

By Betty

Getting Red Dye Out of Clothes

Rit Dye actually makes a product for this. It is only $2.49 for a bottle and it works great! (I know this because my husband "helped" by doing laundry) (10/16/2007)

By Tiffany Rohe

Getting Red Dye Out of Clothes

My 13 year old was doing her laundry and thought "if I put every thing in at once, it won't take my so long." Well the school team jersey 1/2 polyester and 1/2 cotton blend, White with a thick purple stripe starting at the shoulder doing down to the bottom. gold and purple letters in the front and back. Is now pink, purple and gold due to being washed with a red sweatshirt. It was dried in the dryer and she looks to me on getting this out before the couch sees her. I have tried everything today and can not get it out. Is there a secret I do not know about? Can you please share. It has to be white again.

(b)Editor's Note:(/b) Once it is dried, removing stains is harder. I've had the best results removing bleeding dyes with Oxiclean. Soak the garments in hot water with a good amount of it and let it soak for a while. Hope this helps. (10/26/2007)

By Kim