Growing Borax Crystals
Using a mix of borax and water, you and the kids can create unique crystals that you grow on shaped pipe cleaners. Let us show you how to grow borax crystals.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Here are some beautiful crystals made with borax. Instead of buying crystals, you can make your own in all shapes, sizes, and designs. You could even use some as decor. Patience is needed as it will take 2 days to form into crystals, but it's a fun process to document and watch!
Total Time: 2 days
Yield: As many as you want to make!
- pipe cleaners
- glass Jars
- Prep the pipe cleaners into your desired shape/object or letters that you would like your crystal to form.
- Example #1: You could a bend pipe cleaner into names. If you run out of pipe cleaner just tie together and continue like pictured.
- Example #2: You could bend pipe cleaners into fun shapes or designs.
- With the shapes, you will need to attach a string from the shape to a pencil (in the center) to sit over jar.
- With letters since there is extra pipe cleaner, you could wrap the pipe cleaner around the pencil (in the center) to sit over jar.
- Time to make your borax solution. This is a trial and error step. For every cup of water, add about 3-4 tablespoons of borax. Stir together until the water becomes clear and the borax is dissolved.
- Pour the solution into a jar and cover with Saran Wrap.
- Find a safe spot to place your jars and wait until crystals start to form!
- Once ready, carefully take your crystals out! Place on paper towels. Discard Saran Wrap.
August 7, 20190 found this helpful
These are always fun! I made some with my nieces and nephews and used some food colouring to make them in different shades.
August 12, 20190 found this helpful
That's a great idea!!