Growing Broccoli Rabe from Seed

Category Vegetables
Choosing quality seeds, properly preparing the soil, planting at the best time, and keeping the soil moist are all important to producing a good broccoli rabe harvest. This is a guide about growing broccoli rabe from seed.

I tried planting broccoli rabe for the first time from seed last August, but it didn't amount to much except green leaves. Can anyone give me some ideas of how to grow this? I would try early spring this year if I can find the seeds. I did not find them till late August last year. But thinking broccoli is a cold crop, I tried.

Answers

Best Answer

They can be directly sowed from early spring to late summer. Test the pH of the soil. It should be 6.0 to 7.5. Make sure the soil is fertilized and well drained. You also need to keep the plants consistently moist.

Judy is correct. You can find seeds now on ebay and in just a few weeks you can order from the seed catalogues. If all you got was leaves, it was probably too late in the season.

Anonymous

I planted in mid August figuring I would get something in October harvest since broccoli is a cold crop unless broccoli rabe is different from the regular type of broccoli.