Homemade Powdered Laundry Soap

This laundry soap is easy to make and free of that long list of chemicals you will find in your average container of store bought soap. It works well too!

Total Time: 15 minutes

Yield: About 4 cups

Source: Modified from a recipe in the book "Making It".

1. Grate your bar soap. It's actually really fun to do this. My kids kept calling it "pink cheese", lol. :)
  2. Store the remaining soap in a Ziploc. Be sure to label it properly so everyone knows it's "not" food.
  3. Add all of your ingredients to a large bowl.
  4. Mix well.
  5. Store in an airtight container. I picked these cute Mason jars up for only 99 cents!
  6. Use 2 tablespoons per load of laundry.

Top Comment

I have been making homemade laundry soap for years and I have an HE machine. I first made the liquid soap, but now I make the powdered and prefer that. My clothes are clean and fresh. I love that I can wash a whole year of clothes for about $10.

I use my food processor to shred the Zote soap and mix the dry ingredients. It only takes about 5 minutes to mix up a batch.

Top Comment

I use the same recipe for washing powders and it works wonders on my clothes and I only used two tablespoons per large load. I make a double batch of it and I stored in a 5-gallon bucket and I keep a container above my washing machine with a measuring spoon; I always noted on my calendar when I made the washing so I won't know how long this mixture last me doing laundry.

It normally lasts me close to six months. I spend approximately $40 on the ingredients that make up this detergent

You are after my own heart Melissa! I too make homemade housecleaning products! Check out my liquid soap entry coming soon!
:D

Thank you for sharing. Does this work in HE washers?

My laundry soap recipe is to stir and dissolve in hot water: 1/4 cup of Borax, 1/18 cup washing soda, 2 good squirts of Dawn dish detergent and add 1 gallon of warm water. I use an old laundry detergent bottle Washing soda is a strong strain remover which I no longer need now my children are grown; so I use just 1/8 cup instead of 1/4 cup.

I use the detergent bottle measuring cup: 1/2 for light wore clothes and full measure for towels, jeans, etc.

Using a food processor is a great idea for shredding the soap.

it helps! I used a cheese grater for a couple of years, then my husband got a food processor at a rummage sale. Works great!
I love making my own laundry soap

jjsabath, yes, this will work in the washers too. Good question! :)

Thank you Donna, isn't it fun making those things? :)

jjsabath, I meant to say this will work in the "he" high efficiency washers too. oops...lol...my mistake :)