Lemon Spelt Scones
Vote for this contest contender!
A book I received last Christmas called "Whole Grain Vegan Baking" has gluten-free recipes that replace the egg and dairy with potatoes, squash, other vegetables, oils and vegan yogurt. I have recently had a lot of fun making the recipes in it.
Total Time: 2+ hours
Yield: 6 scones
Source: Whole Grain Vegan Baking
- 1 cup whole spelt flour
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp ground ginger root
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp vegan milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Zest lemon, and juice the lemon.
- Grate ginger and add to zest. Add lemon juice to this.
- Combine flours in the food processor.
- Add salt, baking powder, and sugar to food processor.
- Add tahini and pulse a few times.
- Add lemon/zest/ginger mix, and pulse.
- Add maple syrup.
- Add milk through hole in lid.
- Once dough is formed, shape into 6 balls, and slightly flattened.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown around edges and light golden on the top. Transfer onto wire rack after a few minutes out of the oven.
- Combine sugar with 1 teaspoon lemon juice at a time until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon but is still easy to drizzle.
- Drizzle icing onto baked scones.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!