Lilac Leaves Turning Brown

It can be confusing trying to find the cause of leaves browning on a lilac. Determining the cause is important to treating your shrub. This is a guide about lilac leaves turning brown.

We have 4 mini Lilac bushes (Tinkerbell) planted in a row in front of our deck. The two bushes on the left side are 3 years old and thriving beautifully, but the other two always die off and we have had to replace them 3 times already.

I've been religious about watering and fertilizing them, but eventually the leaves turn brown and curl up and the bush dies. I'm at my wit's end. The bushes are close together so I don't know why this is happening.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By Joan from Orchard Park, NY

Answers

Best Answer

Lilac bushes don't do well in acidic soil, if you have pine trees near them they will do poorly. Ask your county extension officer about it, he may have some thoughts. You could add lime to the spot if the soil is acidic to neutralize it, you may need to do this every year or so. Good luck:)

Best Answer

I would take a leaf into a nursery and see if they can analyze it under a microscope. A soil test also is a good idea, but it seems odd that it would be so different a few feet away from the others.

I have a white lilac and I think it has lilac blight. The new tips turn brown and die back and the leaves are deformed. What can I do to save the lilac?

By Jill

Why do my lilac leaves curl and turn brown? I have had it several years and it has never bloomed. It is from an old bush I had in my yard that did well, and I took a large piece of the root to replant in the home I presently live in. I still live in the same city and state.

By Phyllis G

Why are my lilac leaves turning brown? They have finished blooming long ago. It started with just a few and only brown along the edges of the leaves. Now it has spread rampant. Also, the buds for next year are on it but there is a ton of old black seed shells or something around each green bud. I have no idea what this is. My second bush is perfect... no problems. Help!

Pattie

Answers:

Lilac Bushes Leaves Turning Brown

You might want to check for a bug problem. (07/30/2008)

By DEBRADJ.

Lilac Bushes Leaves Turning Brown

My lilac leaves turn brown and crunchy and then new leaves start to develop. It seems the more water they get the more this happens, any suggestions? other than stopping the rain? (09/21/2008)

By nancy